Colonoscopy, polyps and going forward

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Andrea1976

Colonoscopy, polyps and going forward

Postby Andrea1976 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:57 pm

I had a large cancerous polyp at 39. At that time a small 2 mm polyp was removed from the cecum. Clear colonoscopy 1 year later. Now at 2 years another 2 mm polyp. Next colonoscopy in 2 years. I am lynch negative. These small polyps are tubular adenomas. What do you think? Do even people at early 40s grow polyps?

PS: so happy to read so many happy stories here!!! So encouraging!!!

Pemba

Re: Colonoscopy, polyps and going forward

Postby Pemba » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:31 pm

I’m 25 I had a polyp removed two months ago, I’m hoping it was just a freak accident and no more will ever show up. But 2mm is so small and tubular the is the best way for it to look, mine was 15mm and tubulovillous. So hopefully as long as we get our checks and get the small suckers removed, we are fine!
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:26 am

Congratulations on catching your polyp on time. I have a 16 and 14 year old. And they will start with colonoscopy at 25. We have no history in our family of colon cancer.

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:49 am

We don’t really have any cancers on my mothers sdie, think my grandpa’s brother had early prostate cancer and my grandma’s sister survived cervix cancer and died 20 yers later of bladder cancer due to alcoholism. My dads side is more unknown, but my mom can’t remember any talk of cancer.

So I don’t really match the criteria for genetic testing, if more polyps have appeared on my next check I will try a demand for the test. Even though my doctor said genetic polyps often looks different both under the microscope and by eye than my standard mushroom polyp.

It’s a good thing your kids are getting checked out by 25!

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:14 pm

From my understanding Lynch is associated with the flat polyps types of polyps. My cancer polyp was there for many years. I would not be suprised for 10 plus years. I did all the genetic testing so my kids know for all cancers available. Nothing came up. Crazy that because of my polyp I transfer all my app to a cancer hospital. And was diagnosed with Melanoma in situ - stage 0. My polyp may have saved my life. Melanoma in situ is 100% cured by surgery because it's not invasive yet. Once melanoma becomes invasive it's one of the worst cancers to have. So please take care of yourself. And live your live to the fullest! We are heading to the Caribbean and NYC soon:-)

PS: I am also from Europe.

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:43 pm

melanoma Is “skin” cancer right ? That was very lucky they found it, sounds like you been super lucky even though unlucky to catch cancer in the first place.

In Scandinavian where I’m from, they actually have the highest rate of colon cancer in the world, I think Norway takes first place. Property because of our diets.

I wish you a wonderful trip, I envy you so much, the weather in Denmark has been horrendous the last week.

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:22 pm

I am Czech. Our diet is terrible - all meat and no vegetable at all. Yes, Melanoma is a skin cancer. Again so happy for you that your polyp was precancerous. I wished I had symptoms. My polyp was 5 cm and I hardly had symptoms. Than one day I did and I went to doc.the cancer was only 0.6 cm but still cancer... I will be scared for rest of my life.

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:56 pm

I was very lucky my polyp was located so I had some early symptoms, even though it was “only” 1,5 cm, I understand the thing about being afraid forever, I hope I can learn to let I go and trust everything will be fine if I just get my checks.

Traditional our food culture is alike, potatoes and meat in Denmark we originally eat a lot of salted and processed meat. After my polyp I’ve cut pork and cow out of my diet, so I’m eating a lot of veggies, fish and chicken.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”