41 W/ Lg Flat Polyp, upcoming resection scares

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jorlex

41 W/ Lg Flat Polyp, upcoming resection scares

Postby Jorlex » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 pm

Hello! Well I’m a quickly learning all sorts of things thanks to the posts and stories shared. Very helpful as I mentally prepare for my resection surgery coming up in a few weeks. I, like many, had some stuff going on that I tried to ignore. Brought it up to my obgyn and she told me to give it time. I just had a hysterectomy not long ago.
I gave it more time. Then things just got worse. Went to family dr, you know the story. Off to gastro and scheduled for the big picture show.
After he told me he was sorry, how he found something very large and I’d need to go to a university hospital to get it removed. Things happened fast for a bit. Blood work n cat scans.
He called me at home and told me that biopsy was negative but showed high grade focal dysplasia. I was so relieved. He then explained he just did a surface biopsy and there could be cancer under the tumor. Now....not sure why he’s been calling it a tumor. Cause he also said it was a flat polyp, so I assume a sessile. No ones told me size, just it’s taking up 40% of area. That’s not to bad, right?

So, I’ve met with surgeon and he’ll be doing resection in sigmoid and part of lower anterior. As it’s in both areas. The surgeon said this is being considered a cancer resection, and he’ll be taking surrounded lymph nodes and all will biopsied. That’s a good call I feel. Better safe. He also warned me there could be some findings and we’d discuss treatment after.

Now I just have to wait for surgery and another biopsy wait. I feel bad as they’re so many fighting cancer and here I am just wanting to get this surgery over and get a good result on the biopsy. This has really been a frightening ordeal. And I’ve been thru two brain surgeries, for vascular issues. This scares me more.

Looking for input on anyone else that’s been down this road with the large flat ones. How often do these show up as cancer after surgery biopsy. I’ll continue to search forum for surgery input. My surgeon is going laparoscopic but says that obviously can change.
41 Female
Stage 1 Cancer
Resection: 11/6/17, 12” of Sigmoid removed for 5 cm tumor

Lee

Re: 41 W/ Lg Flat Polyp, upcoming resection scares

Postby Lee » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:51 pm

My path was a bit different, butt we have all here walked in your shoes and understand the fear and uncertainly you are feeling at this time.

Have they done any further testing on you? CAT scan, CEA blood test? Am I correct to assume it's colon cancer VS rectal cancer or a possibility of both? Is the surgeon a "general" surgeon" vs a board certified Colon Rectal surgeon. They tend to have more experience, especially if you are dealing with anything close to rectal cancer.

Sorry I throwing out more questions, with no answers, just trying to figure the best way to help you.

I too have had a brain surgery, lots of fun, NOT!!

You've come to the right place for info and support.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Jorlex

Postby Jorlex » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:21 am

Yes CAT scan and CEA were done and both looked good they said. The surgeon is a board-certified colon/rectal surgeon. I hate to say this but I at first thought it was just in the sigmoid but when he explained surgery he said it was spread down in that lower anterior as well. So that means rectal as well? I'm sorry this all so new to me. I think the majority of it is in the sigmoid.

No brain surgery is not fun, at all. Nor are the after effects.
41 Female
Stage 1 Cancer

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

I had a cancer polyp. But it was pedunculated - like a mushroom. I am having another colonoscopy this Friday at almost 2 years.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Jorlex wrote: The surgeon is a board-certified colon/rectal surgeon. I hate to say this but I at first thought it was just in the sigmoid but when he explained surgery he said it was spread down in that lower anterior as well. So that means rectal as well? .

Yes I believe most of it is in the colon too. The reason I asked, if it was in the rectum, usually radiation is done prior to surgery. And since you working with a board certified colon rectal surgeon, s/he would know that.

Did you get a report from the GI Dr.? If not, maybe call the GI's office and see if they can send you a copy of the report. Usually they take pictures of things they find like polyps, tumors, inflammation,etc. It might also provide some additional information. Since the Dr.(s) have used both words, polyp and tumor, it kind of sounds like this is an advance polyp turning into a tumor. Many times this can be associated with an early diagnoses. Like maybe maybe a stage I. Hopefully it will be that way for you.

During the mean time, There are some sticky at the top of this forum that might help with terminology and abbreviations. Try to avoid Dr. Google. Know that there are many option for dealing with this cancer, and many people are beating it today.

Know that you will too.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Jorlex

Postby Jorlex » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Thank you. Yes google is scary and I’m just reading things here at this point. I was happy to find a hospital packing list as a refresher on what to bring. :D
I’ll see if I can get report. Thank you so much. I’ll re~read the stickies.
41 Female
Stage 1 Cancer

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope your surgery goes well!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

kran

Postby kran » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm in the same boat. Resection scheduled for 11/7 followed by 12 weeks with ileostomy. I'm having so much anxiety about the surgery, really scared about embarassing ostomy accidents and worried about the reversal surgery too. Does EVERYONE have accidents with their ileostomy? Is the reversal really risky? I couldn't get my doctor to call me back today with the results of my MRI. I'm just a bundle of NERVES tonight.

Aqx99
Facebook Username: aqx99

Postby Aqx99 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:26 am

Jorlex wrote:Yes CAT scan and CEA were done and both looked good they said. The surgeon is a board-certified colon/rectal surgeon. I hate to say this but I at first thought it was just in the sigmoid but when he explained surgery he said it was spread down in that lower anterior as well. So that means rectal as well? I'm sorry this all so new to me. I think the majority of it is in the sigmoid.

No brain surgery is not fun, at all. Nor are the after effects.

Check your report. Mine had a diagram of the colon and indicators where he found the 2 polyps and the tumor. Generally, if the tumor is right on the border of the sigmoid colon and the rectum, they treat it as rectal. There are a lot of us on here that have had the surgery that you are going to have. We are all here to support you and answer any questions you might have.
Anne, 40
Stage IIIB Rectal Cancer
T3N1bM0
2/21/17 Dx, Age 39
2/21/17 CEA 0.9
3/23/17 - 5/2/17 Chemoradiation, 28 treatments
6/14/17 Robotic LAR w/temp loop ileostomy, ovaries & fallopian tubes removed, 2/21 lymph nodes positive
7/24/17 - 12/18/17 CapeOx, 6 Cycles
7/24/17 Dx w/ovarian cancer
9/6/17 CA 125 11.1
11/27/17 CEA 2.6
12/5/17 CT NED
12/13/17 CEA 2.9
1/11/18 CA 125 8.6
1/23/18 Reversal
3/21/18 CT enlarged thymus
4/6/18 PET NED
7/10/18 CT NED
7/11/18 CEA 2.6
9/18 Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy

Aqx99
Facebook Username: aqx99

Postby Aqx99 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:39 am

kran wrote:I'm in the same boat. Resection scheduled for 11/7 followed by 12 weeks with ileostomy. I'm having so much anxiety about the surgery, really scared about embarassing ostomy accidents and worried about the reversal surgery too. Does EVERYONE have accidents with their ileostomy? Is the reversal really risky? I couldn't get my doctor to call me back today with the results of my MRI. I'm just a bundle of NERVES tonight.

Unfortunately, learning to deal with an ileostomy can lead to some accidents. My only public accident (so far) happened because my output pancaked at the top of the pouch and pulled my wafer away from my skin. It always seems to happen to me with a fresh pouch. Now that I have experienced that, I make sure to check my pouch carefully and add a pocket of air to it if the output starts to pancake. I haven't had a problem since. The most important thing you can to in order to be comfortable with your ileostomy is to make sure you work with an ostomy nurse. I met with mine before my surgery. She showed me a variety of appliances and even had me practice emptying one. She will be the one who helps figure out what system works best for you. And anytime you have an issue, she will work with you to fix whatever the problem is.

Having an ileostomy takes some getting used to. When I first got mine I was constantly checking it, afraid of accident like you. Now that I have had it for 4 months, I can sometimes forget that it is even there. It is, for lack of a better term, a necessary evil for the treatment of our type of cancer. Whenever I start to feel down about it, I remind myself that my ileostomy is a critical part of saving my life. Before my cancer diagnosis, I would never have dreamed of telling people about my bodily functions. Now I find myself explaining my treatment to perfect strangers when they ask (I have several colorectal cancer t-shirts I wear on a regular basis), including the details of what an ileostomy is.

All of us that have already been through what you are about to experience are here for you. You are now a member of a club none of us wanted to join.
Anne, 40
Stage IIIB Rectal Cancer
T3N1bM0
2/21/17 Dx, Age 39
2/21/17 CEA 0.9
3/23/17 - 5/2/17 Chemoradiation, 28 treatments
6/14/17 Robotic LAR w/temp loop ileostomy, ovaries & fallopian tubes removed, 2/21 lymph nodes positive
7/24/17 - 12/18/17 CapeOx, 6 Cycles
7/24/17 Dx w/ovarian cancer
9/6/17 CA 125 11.1
11/27/17 CEA 2.6
12/5/17 CT NED
12/13/17 CEA 2.9
1/11/18 CA 125 8.6
1/23/18 Reversal
3/21/18 CT enlarged thymus
4/6/18 PET NED
7/10/18 CT NED
7/11/18 CEA 2.6
9/18 Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy

rockhound

Postby rockhound » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:24 am

kran wrote:I'm in the same boat. Resection scheduled for 11/7 followed by 12 weeks with ileostomy. I'm having so much anxiety about the surgery, really scared about embarassing ostomy accidents and worried about the reversal surgery too. Does EVERYONE have accidents with their ileostomy? Is the reversal really risky? I couldn't get my doctor to call me back today with the results of my MRI. I'm just a bundle of NERVES tonight.

I had the same types of anxieties, but all turned out just fine (esp. relative to the alternative). I was sore from my resection and it sucked starting chemo about a month later, but you can get through it. I had one minor accident with my ileostomy - about two weeks before my reversal surgery (somehow the bottom of the wafer pulled up due to how I was sitting and I had a leak..luckily the output was thick-textured and was at the end of the day - just stuck some more adhesive tape over the part that pulled up and changed it when I got home). Go see an ostomy nurse if you can, that will really help. The reversal surgery was fine also (I'm 4 weeks out now). Yes it still sucks and is surgery, but things are going reasonably well enough now that I'm flying on a plane tomorrow (~4 hr flight) and headed to a professional conference. The unknowns were really what got me all along, but I will say it is all doable though (not trying to downplay anything!) and you can get through this!
45 yr old male
Diagnosed December 2016, age 41
Stage 1/IIA rectal cancer - T2/3N0M0 via MRI (MRI indicates stage 1; onc/surgeon = stage 2a)
Lynch syndrome, MSH6 mutation, MSI
2 to 3/2017 Xeloda + Radiation
5/10/17 - Robotic LAR with temp. loop illeostomy, 0/20 lymph nodes
6 to 7/2017 - Six cycles Folfox @ full strength
9/20/17 - Ileostomy takedown
10/17 - CT, NED
5/18 - CT, NED
11/18 - CT, NED
5/19 - CT, NED..moving to yearly CT scans
5/20 - CT, NED
5/21 - CT, NED (4 yr. scan)

Jorlex

Postby Jorlex » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 pm

My surgery is the 6th. Waiting is difficult. As I tend to over think things. I won’t know about ileostomy until after. He has to see how far it’s spread out.
So far now I just to keep busy and not over think this. Easier said then done.

I looked at my report. It says three polyps were removed and one large tumor was marked. Has images attached, no sizes of the polyps they removed or the polyp they left that’s being removed. I’ll find out after surgery.
41 Female
Stage 1 Cancer

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi and welcome, sorry for the reason you have to be here. Make sure you see an ostomy nurse prior to your surgery. They are a wealth of information and will show you much about how to care for your ileostomy. During the mean time, here is another website devoted to colostomies and ileostomies. Yes there is a learning curve in the beginning, butt it's not as bad as you think. You will get a lot of support about living with your ileostomy.

http://www.ostomy.org/Home.html

Good luck, hope this helps,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:03 am

If it makes you feel better I had a flat polyp, had a resection, the lymph node tests came back as cancerous, and I had to do six months of chemo. BUT six years later I'm still here and my most recent colonoscopy was all good. At the beginning I had some very dark thoughts but you never know how things will turn out. You will get a lot of support here.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

makadave

Postby makadave » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:56 pm

I've had pre cancerous polyps removed a few times. But what happened to me aside from that was awful. Felt sick and vomited after lunch at work one day. Next morning had to call 911 and was in emergency surgery to remove 3 feet of colon due to ischemia. Blood supply was cut off to a portion of my colon and tissue was disintegrated. 6 hrs surgery and temporary colostomy bag to deal with when I woke up. I was 71 yrs old at the time. Am recovered 2 yrs later but experiencing very smelly gas. It's a real problem.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”