Side effects or something else

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sara!!!!

Side effects or something else

Postby Sara!!!! » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 am

Hi everyone. My mom has stage 4 colon cancer with mets to liver and possible omental involvement. She had her second cycle of folfiri and erbitux. She's in severe pain. Abdominal pain and also generalized body aches and bone pains. Shes very lethargic. And says her heart is sinking. Anyone else experience this?
Daughter to mom 67, colon cancer
Diagnosed Dec 16, bowel obstruction.
Hemicolectimy done,Dec 16.
4 lesions in liver on scan before chemo jan 17.
Folfox +Avastin 12 cycles,disease progression on pet Aug 17.
Attempted liver resection, failed. Mets peritoneam. Diffuse.
Mets to lungs, liver. Peri on scan Nov 17.
3 cycles of folfiri+ cetuximab. Cea down from 888 to 383.
Small bowel obstruction jan 18

SweetC80

Re: Side effects or something else

Postby SweetC80 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:51 am

My mom has horrible responses to chemo and is unable to walk w/o a 2 person assist even after Folfox. She ends up only getting chemo once a month because it takes her that long to recover. Last time she was even in the hospital for about a week and has almost no memory of it, and her Onco decreased her chemo by 25%. She has Stage IV with Liver and Lung tumors. Since finding the liver tumor she started a new chemo, Irinotecan, and they do give her an additional drug for stomach cramping before her infusion. I would have to look into the name of it. I know it isn't the same experience as your mother, but there is a reason for it maybe ask if this is an option for her if she isn't already getting it.

Good luck and I hope your mom's oncologist can find a balance to help your mom's symptoms.
My Mom
12/16 Stage IIIb Rectal Ca CEA 1.2
1/17-2/17 Chemoradiation CEA 4.4
5/17 Entire Colon, Rectum & Anus removed Perm Ileostomy Bag
7/17 FOLFOX
9/17 Stage IVb 9cm Liver Met & 7mm Lung Nodule CEA 197
9/17 FOLFIRI CEA 160
10/17 Confirmed KRAS Pos CEA 210
11/17 Met growths Liver 10cm & Lung 8mm CEA 425
12/17 FOLFOX again Met growths Liver 13cm & Lung 1cm CEA 405
12/17 Xifaxan due to Hepatic Encephalopathy
12/17 New 2cm liver Met
1/18 CEA 992
2/8/18 Passed Peacefully

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Postby KElizabeth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Sara!!!! wrote:Hi everyone. My mom has stage 4 colon cancer with mets to liver and possible omental involvement. She had her second cycle of folfiri and erbitux. She's in severe pain. Abdominal pain and also generalized body aches and bone pains. Shes very lethargic. And says her heart is sinking. Anyone else experience this?

Sara,
Folfiri often causes abdominal cramps that can be quite severe but can be controlled with medications such as Attropine, Nulev or Limotil. I had aches and pains while on treatment but it was worst in the first few treatments it for easier after a few months. Let the oncologists know of her symptoms and they should be able to manage her pain.
So sorry she has to go through this.
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:56 pm

SweetC80 wrote:My mom has horrible responses to chemo and is unable to walk w/o a 2 person assist even after Folfox. She ends up only getting chemo once a month because it takes her that long to recover. Last time she was even in the hospital for about a week and has almost no memory of it, and her Onco decreased her chemo by 25%. She has Stage IV with Liver and Lung tumors. Since finding the liver tumor she started a new chemo, Irinotecan, and they do give her an additional drug for stomach cramping before her infusion. I would have to look into the name of it. I know it isn't the same experience as your mother, but there is a reason for it maybe ask if this is an option for her if she isn't already getting it.

Good luck and I hope your mom's oncologist can find a balance to help your mom's symptoms.

Thank you so much. I hope your mom feels better soon too

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:00 pm

KElizabeth wrote:[quote="Sara!!!
Sara,
Folfiri often causes abdominal cramps that can be quite severe but can be controlled with medications such as Attropine, Nulev or Limotil. I had aches and pains while on treatment but it was worst in the first few treatments it for easier after a few months. Let the oncologists know of her symptoms and they should be able to manage her pain.
So sorry she has to go through this.

The body aches have been really bad with this. Folfox she tolerated quite well. Every pain and ache she feels makes me think of mets :( and gets us worried. Thank you so much for your reply.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”