Cimetidine anyone?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sara!!!!

Cimetidine anyone?

Postby Sara!!!! » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:19 am

Hey everyone. My mom is a stage 4 colon patient. With mets to liver and now a possible omental involvement. I wanted to ask about someones experience with cimetidine? Has anyone taken it? Did it help?
Daughter to mom 67, colon cancer
Diagnosed Dec 16, bowel obstruction.
Hemicolectimy done,Dec 16.
4 lesions in liver on scan before chemo jan 17.
Folfox +Avastin 12 cycles,disease progression on pet Aug 17.
Attempted liver resection, failed. Mets peritoneam. Diffuse.
Mets to lungs, liver. Peri on scan Nov 17.
3 cycles of folfiri+ cetuximab. Cea down from 888 to 383.
Small bowel obstruction jan 18

JJH

Re: Cimetidine anyone?

Postby JJH » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Sara!!!! wrote:Hey everyone. My mom is a stage 4 colon patient. With mets to liver and now a possible omental involvement. I wanted to ask about someones experience with cimetidine? Has anyone taken it? Did it help?

rp1954 has some useful posts on the topic of Cimetidine. You can access them by using these instructions:
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57693&p=454654#p454654
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:29 pm

While we can't be certain, my husband and I credit cimetidine (plus graviola, other supplements, better diet and exercise) with absence of any new tumors since he was originally diagnosed.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:42 pm

mpbser wrote:While we can't be certain, my husband and I credit cimetidine (plus graviola, other supplements, better diet and exercise) with absence of any new tumors since he was originally diagnosed.

Thank you so much for your reply. How much did he take and for how long? If you don't mind me asking??

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:32 pm

He started taking cimetidine about a month or so before his colon surgery, 800 mg a day, with only a week off prior to surgery and then resumed about a week afterwards. He still takes it so it has been about 6 months now. He starts chemo in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure what he is going to do then. There are threads on this forum about that and I'm going to review them again soon.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

lpas

Postby lpas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:36 pm

I've been taking 800mg daily since shortly after my diagnosis in 2014 and I do believe strongly that it helps--particularly in the immediate pre- and post-surgical periods.
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:25 am

mpbser wrote:He started taking cimetidine about a month or so before his colon surgery, 800 mg a day, with only a week off prior to surgery and then resumed about a week afterwards. He still takes it so it has been about 6 months now. He starts chemo in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure what he is going to do then. There are threads on this forum about that and I'm going to review them again soon.

Thank you so much :) good luck with the chemo!

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:26 am

lpas wrote:I've been taking 800mg daily since shortly after my diagnosis in 2014 and I do believe strongly that it helps--particularly in the immediate pre- and post-surgical periods.

Thank you so much. Ive been kicking myself for not making her take it sooner. Maybe it wudve stopped the spread. She is due for liver resection on 11th. So it's the pre surgery period now

JJH

Postby JJH » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:39 am

"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks alot! Really appreciate it. Has anyone of you tried vitamin c as well?

lpas

Postby lpas » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi Sara,

Are you referring to IV Vitamin C? If so, there are definitely a few posters here who have tried it with good results. Again, rp1954 would probably be your best resource. There was a member named Cherie a number of years ago who used it to great great effect as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:03 pm

I would encourage you to get, and discuss the extra bloodwork done to productively compare experiences and improve results.

My wife used 1600 mg/day of cimetidine, along with a number of supplements before and after two surgeries; cimetidine explicitly during the second surgery for her para aortic lymph nodes. She has had IV vitamin C up to within 10-12 hours following surgery, closer than most. (The closest I've heard of, is for "instant recovery" from anesthesia following surgery) She also used baby aspirin but discontinued it up to 7 days before GI surgery. These are reputed in various circles, outside standard practice, to have various immune modulating, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, wound healing properties. Basically we worked hard to select the biggest, baddest kitchen sink and aim "excessive supplements" at the cancer before and after surgery as we could safely arrange for her. Some things we used more than LEF and others less, partly limited by time, availability and intake (pill) burden.

Before her first surgery, my wife appears to have had a localized complete immune response to her peritoneal involvement and fat infiltrations, with a massive granulocyte attack and dead masses, among other successes. Like most advanced CRC patients she had massive amounts of neutrophils, the major type of granulocyte, circulating. Apparently, we recruited them, where lymphocyte and granulocyte attacks are mentioned in various cimetidine lab papers. This along with all the other stuff, various heavy duty supplements for up to 4 weeks.

Surgeons are going to be conservative about supplements and pretreatments; their knowledge base and approaches can vary greatly. Most were leary in 2010-11; some may be helpful and there has been some recognition of therapeutic perioperative nutrition since then. Our experience base for two surgeries and the papers used were not about liver surgeries. Length of surgery, interaction and bleeding are bigger concerns with liver surgery.

The papers that actively concern cimetidine for surgery are mostly from the 80s and early 90s, ancient texts to some medical biases, from when it was the prime treatment for the prophylaxis of acid aspiration in surgery. It was from this base (thanks to Life Extension Foundation articles) that we requested cimetidine for the 2nd surgery, where surgeons have their own surgical tables, cheat sheets and summaries. IV cimetidine is much harder to get these days (China or compounding pharmacy with a long lead time?), so our surgeons allowed oral use for surgery, despite npo, which we happened to have a box of 400 mg tabs.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:18 am

rp1954 wrote:I would encourage you to get, and discuss the extra bloodwork done to productively compare experiences and improve results.

My wife used 1600 mg/day of cimetidine, along with a number of supplements before and after two surgeries; cimetidine explicitly during the second surgery for her para aortic lymph nodes. She has had IV vitamin C up to within 10-12 hours following surgery, closer than most. (The closest I've heard of, is for "instant recovery" from anesthesia following surgery) She also used baby aspirin but discontinued it up to 7 days before GI surgery. These are reputed in various circles, outside standard practice, to have various immune modulating, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, wound healing properties. Basically we worked hard to select the biggest, baddest kitchen sink and aim "excessive supplements" at the cancer before and after surgery as we could safely arrange for her. Some things we used more than LEF and others less, partly limited by time, availability and intake (pill) burden.

Before her first surgery, my wife appears to have had a localized complete immune response to her peritoneal involvement and fat infiltrations, with a massive granulocyte attack and dead masses, among other successes. Like most advanced CRC patients she had massive amounts of neutrophils, the major type of granulocyte, circulating. Apparently, we recruited them, where lymphocyte and granulocyte attacks are mentioned in various cimetidine lab papers. This along with all the other stuff, various heavy duty supplements for up to 4 weeks.

Surgeons are going to be conservative about supplements and pretreatments; their knowledge base and approaches can vary greatly. Most were leary in 2010-11; some may be helpful and there has been some recognition of therapeutic perioperative nutrition since then. Our experience base for two surgeries and the papers used were not about liver surgeries. Length of surgery, interaction and bleeding are bigger concerns with liver surgery.

The papers that actively concern cimetidine for surgery are mostly from the 80s and early 90s, ancient texts to some medical biases, from when it was the prime treatment for the prophylaxis of acid aspiration in surgery. It was from this base (thanks to Life Extension Foundation articles) that we requested cimetidine for the 2nd surgery, where surgeons have their own surgical tables, cheat sheets and summaries. IV cimetidine is much harder to get these days (China or compounding pharmacy with a long lead time?), so our surgeons allowed oral use for surgery, despite npo, which we happened to have a box of 400 mg tabs.

Thank you so much. God bless you!

Sara!!!!

Postby Sara!!!! » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 am

Did anyone feel heart sinking after starting cimetidine??

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”