Bleeding

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
hayleyo

Bleeding

Postby hayleyo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:32 am

Hi, Mum who is 80 and has a colon tumour which is inoperable is now experiencing bleeding from the rectum first thing in the morning. She also gets lower back pain, she is permanently constipated, although a few days ago she did have diarrhea, she hardly eats (her appetite has always been poor and diet is all sugar). She has asked to not see the Consultant until necessary as she is basically pretending nothing is happening, which I want to allow her to do as it is her way of dealing with the situation, but I wonder if I should alert someone to her symptoms? She is very stubborn and not easy to deal with, she is supposed to take iron tablets as she was anemic but only takes half the dose and refuses to take calcium tablets for her oestioporois. I don't know when or if to intervene, she says she can't be bothered with the hassle of doctor or hospital appointments, should I just respect her wishes?
C Difficile 2007 ileostomy with fistula
Reversal 2009 (coke can and a half of colon left!)

Mother diagnosed colon cancer March 2017

Lee

Re: Bleeding

Postby Lee » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 pm

You might want to talk with the Dr who is treating her, it might be time to consider hospice. At 80, she's earned the right to live her life they way she wants. I believe hospice with help her achieve that butt will also make sure she is comfortable.

Drinking more water might help with constipation.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

juliej

Postby juliej » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Agree with Lee. Talk to her about hospice and see if she'd rather go in that direction. If she's not quite ready for hospice, then you might have a conversation about "palliative care" and how it will help with her lower back pain, constipation, etc. and make her more comfortable. Some people think they have to put up with pain or physical discomfort. They don't realize how much better they could feel with a little help from meds.

If she waits to see the Consultant "until necessary" it could mean a lot of unnecessary pain and discomfort. If you can talk to her health care team (usually requires permission from the patient), you can describe her symptoms and see what they suggest.

Also, you mentioned she was taking iron tablets. They have a tendency to cause constipation, diarrhea, and abdominal discomfort so that might be part of the problem. Make sure she drinks a full glass of water or orange juice with each tablet. OJ is especially good since it contains Vitamin C which increases the body's absorption of iron. A stool softener like Colace might help too.

Clearly, you love your mum and want the best for her. Sending hugs your way!

Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

hayleyo

Postby hayleyo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:28 am

Thank you for your replies. I have now spoken to her doctor who is contacting a hospice. They are intending to send a nurse out to visit her on a regular basis to chat with her about any concerns and offer advice.
C Difficile 2007 ileostomy with fistula
Reversal 2009 (coke can and a half of colon left!)

Mother diagnosed colon cancer March 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”