Genetic Test Results - need feedback

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Shana

Genetic Test Results - need feedback

Postby Shana » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I got a phone call today from the Dr who I saw at UCSF in July for a second opinion. He reviewed the results from the UCSF 500 genetic testing with me. He told me that my KRAS gene was not mutated which confirmed why I was responding to Erbitux. He said no other mutatations were found so it didn't point to any different direction treatment wise. That's what I got out of his comment anyway. I was actually getting my chemo when he called so I listened more than I talked. He recommended that I stay on current regimen which I was tolerating and showing positive response. We discussed possible clinical trials down the road if I hit a wall with current treatment, but did not recommend that route based on where I was now.

Are there any other questions that I should have asked? I can e-mail them to him through the UCSF portal. Are there other markers or results that I should be aware of?

Chemo break week was great but back on the wagon now! I actually look forward to chemo which sounds crazy but it's my only weapon so it makes sense in this world.

Thanks for any suggestions and feedback!
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
Irinotecan and Erbitux ran it's course. CEA rising
Primary tumor invaded tail of pancreas and spleen. Liver mets major concern
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Re: Genetic Test Results - need feedback

Postby Robino1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:44 am

I have no idea what my genetics are only that my cancer is not genetic. They have not tested yet and not sure if they have even finished the paperwork to send to my ins. company (the ins co denied the request the first time).

I totally get you being happy to get back on the chemo train. I was off for about a month due to needing an antibiotic for a week then Hurricane Irma right after. I actually was relieved to get back into chemo because my cancer is responding very well to the chemo.

I'll let others answer about questions to ask.

Continue to kick cancer's ass!! :)
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

Shana

Re: Genetic Test Results - need feedback

Postby Shana » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Robino1 wrote:I have no idea what my genetics are only that my cancer is not genetic. They have not tested yet and not sure if they have even finished the paperwork to send to my ins. company (the ins co denied the request the first time).

I totally get you being happy to get back on the chemo train. I was off for about a month due to needing an antibiotic for a week then Hurricane Irma right after. I actually was relieved to get back into chemo because my cancer is responding very well to the chemo.

I'll let others answer about questions to ask.

Continue to kick cancer's ass!! :)

Thanks Robino!,

I'm glad to hear that you're responding well! Hope Irma didn't cause you too much trouble. I'm still learning my way around this disease but I agree with you, keep on kicking cancer's ass! Take care and stay strong!
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
Irinotecan and Erbitux ran it's course. CEA rising
Primary tumor invaded tail of pancreas and spleen. Liver mets major concern
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”