Serious side effects after Folfox with Avastin?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mercy110

Serious side effects after Folfox with Avastin?

Postby Mercy110 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:58 am

My mum has completed her first round chemo of Folfox with Avastin on 11/9. She has drunk quite a lot of cold drinks such as juice and sports drink after coming back home from hospital. Unfortunately she suffers from stomach problem on 12/9 and serious diarrhea afterwards. It is not painful but she can feel the bowel movements which disrupt her a lot.
She goes back to the hospital today as she still suffers from serious diarrhea and loss of appetite. We are very worried about her. Doctors said her X-ray looks ok, but the blood ph is highly sour and the potessium in her blood is also high. The doc suspects Intestinal necrosis but the X-ray seems fine...Physical examination also shows no abnormal pain. We are now worrying about her kidneys and liver.
We don't know if it is the side effect of chemo or any actions that she's done wrong. Hops she is all right.
My Mum (age 56), NRAS-mutate Q61R (from HK)
2017-05: Surgery with stoma. T4N1M0. Stage3C. Xeloda Only. Increasing CEA. CT: Multiple lung nodules. Stage4.
2017-09: 85% FOLFOX + Avastin, stable CT
2018-03 to 05: Folfox Allergy, Folfiri (with Avastin since Oct)
2019: CEA:178, started Irinotecan+Zaltrip+TS-1, 25 times radio with xeloda
2020: CEA up, Stivarga for 6 months
2021: CEA up, 7L O2 and 24-hour morphine, on pc care
At peace 2021.4.14

Shana

Re: Serious side effects after Folfox with Avastin?

Postby Shana » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:10 am

So sorry to hear that your mum is back in the hospital. How is her WBC? I was hospitalized after a bad reaction to Folfox after my first round. My potassium was also off and I was neutropenic with a WBC count of nearly zero and some kind of infection. In spite of all that I had going on they were able to treat and I recovered. I had a similiar bad reaction to my second round of Folfox using Xeloda pills instead of the pump, ended up in hospital again with colitis but thankfully no infection. Have they done a CT scan with contrast to check for intestinal necrosis? I had one that ruled that out but did confirm colitis. I had to go on total bowel rest for 5 weeks with IV nutrition only. It allowed the colitis to heal since no food passed through the bowels.

My oncologist said no more Folfox and that I was most likely allergic to something in it.

Has your mum had Folfox before or Avastin? I have not been on Avastin. I am currently getting Irinotecan and Cetuximab and responding well to it.. finally!

Best wishes to your mum and to you. I hope they figure out what's going on and quickly treat her.

Shana
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
Irinotecan and Erbitux ran it's course. CEA rising
Primary tumor invaded tail of pancreas and spleen. Liver mets major concern
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

Mercy110

Re: Serious side effects after Folfox with Avastin?

Postby Mercy110 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 am

Thank you. My mum has been discharged from hospital and now rest at home. The doc said her stomach is rely sensitive and asked her not to have cold drinks right after chemo next time. She now looks better and gradually recovers the appetite, but the next round of chemo starts very soon. And she is going to meet the onco again tmr. Hope everything's fine. God bless.
My Mum (age 56), NRAS-mutate Q61R (from HK)
2017-05: Surgery with stoma. T4N1M0. Stage3C. Xeloda Only. Increasing CEA. CT: Multiple lung nodules. Stage4.
2017-09: 85% FOLFOX + Avastin, stable CT
2018-03 to 05: Folfox Allergy, Folfiri (with Avastin since Oct)
2019: CEA:178, started Irinotecan+Zaltrip+TS-1, 25 times radio with xeloda
2020: CEA up, Stivarga for 6 months
2021: CEA up, 7L O2 and 24-hour morphine, on pc care
At peace 2021.4.14

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”