Chemoradiation AFTER resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MKC70

Chemoradiation AFTER resection

Postby MKC70 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:59 am

I am on my 3rd week of recovery from my resection. 18" was taken out, 0/22 lymphnodes taken were affected (T3, N0, M0). Surgeon referred me to oncol. and a radiologist for treatment. Did not treat BEFORE surgery as it was staged at a t2, until after pathology from surgery where it was found it did go thru the wall. Confused about this, because if they took 18", isn't ti gone now?? I know when this all stated in MArch , there was one cancerous polyp found during colonoscopy. It was removed, but had to be piece mealed out, meaning taken i pieces. 2 months later, endoscopic ultrasound came back with nothing there, 3 month later, flexible sigmoidoscopy showed it came back, basically in the same area, and grew back in that short period of time to be the same size of the original one.

Anyways, here is my plan so far:

4 -chemo treatments (M in the clinic, then home with a pump T., W. Then a week off , then back to it again. Once that is done, then 5.5 weeks of radiation to the pelvic area. This will be every day M-F Note: My cancer was in the lower part of the rectum). At the same time I will be given a chemo "pill". Once that is completed I will have more chemo, can't remember the time frame. ALL this going on while I have my temporary ileostomy bag.

So here I am frustrated, scared and anxious, mostly about the side effects (especially with radiation to the pelvic area). Lots of possible issues, I know they have to tell you all these things, but , UGH! Hip problems, vaginal issues, and more!! Also concerned about radiating that area of the bowel, possibility of not getting "reconnected" afterwards and really having to realize that won't be known until they go in and try to do it. I guess I am on here to use this platform to vent, but also to ask if anyone her has had a similar situation or has any input whatsoever. My husband is distraught over all this information, as am I. Radio. feels I will do just fine, that I am only 47 and will be able t o handle everything, how does he know? I understand everyone is different o how they handle treatments etc, just wish I could get more clarity......

Aqx99
Facebook Username: aqx99

Re: Chemoradiation AFTER resection

Postby Aqx99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:26 am

Your radiation oncologist should have explained better why they want to do the radiation treatments on you. I had mine before my surgery, but it was explained to me that she was going to be treating the organs in my pelvic area as well as my tumor, to prevent possible recurrence. She specifically mentioned that she would be treating my ovaries and the front of my tailbone, because there is a high possibility of recurrence in those areas. If it makes you feel any better, I just saw my radiation oncologist for a follow up and when she examined me she did not see any issues with my vagina. She gave me a vaginal dilator to use to keep it that way. I'll warn you now, you will most likely go through menopause with the radiation treatments. The radiation shuts down your ovaries.
Anne, 40
Stage IIIB Rectal Cancer
T3N1bM0
2/21/17 Dx, Age 39
2/21/17 CEA 0.9
3/23/17 - 5/2/17 Chemoradiation, 28 treatments
6/14/17 Robotic LAR w/temp loop ileostomy, ovaries & fallopian tubes removed, 2/21 lymph nodes positive
7/24/17 - 12/18/17 CapeOx, 6 Cycles
7/24/17 Dx w/ovarian cancer
9/6/17 CA 125 11.1
11/27/17 CEA 2.6
12/5/17 CT NED
12/13/17 CEA 2.9
1/11/18 CA 125 8.6
1/23/18 Reversal
3/21/18 CT enlarged thymus
4/6/18 PET NED
7/10/18 CT NED
7/11/18 CEA 2.6
9/18 Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm

I also had radiation/chemo before surgery to shrink the tumor in order to make it easier for surgery to remove with margins. I did have good response as all that was left was scar tissue before surgery. Yes, the side effects of radiation explained before treatment are really scary. The issues I dealt with was pain when urinating. The doctor gave me lidocaine and I would use before I went to the bathroom to numb the area. Also, my bottom was pretty charred. I already had a hysterectomy so didn't have issues there. I'm not sure of the effects of radiation after surgery. Good Luck, I hope your treatments go well.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

mozart13

Postby mozart13 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:05 pm

MKC, some times its dificullt to know exact stage till surgery hapen.
Since your stage went up notch, treatment plan has changed. It is standard treatment chem/rad, operation than chemo, it doesnt need to happen in that order.

I've met some one who had surgery first, than chemo/rad, followed by chemo, and he is been cancer free for 14 years.
Temp bag is usually reversed after chemo and rad treatment are finished, healing proccess needs to happen for reversal to happen, under chemo and rad that would be dificult.

Chemo and radiation should finish the job, killing microcells if any left, or free floating.
Radiation has improved so much, but still hits the tissue not affected by disease, I was told that I might have bladder cancer 20 years down the road, from radiation.

Talk to your doctors, ask questions.

Good luck to you!
55 year at the time of diagnosis, male
Diagnosed with T1,T2 N0 M0 rectal cancer
Total neoadjuvant therapy or TNT (chemoradiation followed by systemic chemotherapy)
Negative since Feb. '17
No surgery
Watch&Wait approach 8)
I don’t come much to the forum , so if this is not updated it means I remain negative!
Wish good luck to all!

JJH

Postby JJH » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:21 pm

mozart13 wrote:...I've met some one who had surgery first, than chemo/rad, followed by chemo, and he is been cancer free for 14 years...

I had surgery first, then chemo/rad, then chemo, and i'm cancer free.
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:25 am

I too had chemoradiation after surgery for rectal cancer. Well, before surgery, it appeared that I had colon cancer, rather than rectal cancer -- that's why. No ostomy. No sign of cancer since the surgery.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

MKC70

Postby MKC70 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:33 pm

Thank you so much for your responses. Really appreciate it. :) I am hoping I don't have all the side effects I was informed about, but I guess I won't know until I get all of this behind me. Such a tough decision all around. Wishing all of you great journeys what ever it may be. Have a great day

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”