Chemo/radiation AFTER resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MKC70

Chemo/radiation AFTER resection

Postby MKC70 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi there. Just looking to get input.... So I was diagnosed with rectal cancer, stage 2, T3, N0, m0. I had surgery 2 weeks ago, with 18" taken out. Pathology showed no cancer in lymph nodes, they took 22 of them. Given temporary ileostomy. So here we are today, was referred to an oncologist. And met with him today. He wants to do chemo and radiation both. Then he wants to do 5 weeks of radiation daily. Anyone in a similar situation? I am against the radiation for the reason that it can cause major issues with trying to reverse my ileostomy. Lots of uncertainties, thanks for listening

CRguy

Re: Chemo/radiation AFTER resection

Postby CRguy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 pm

I think maybe you need to clarify things with the Onc.

I am not familiar with a protocol of chemoradiation and THEN more radiation ...
after a primary resection ?????

Radiation therapy is no picnic, BUTT there are benefits and it is a well established modality in cancer therapy for many forms of cancer.

Best wishes
Ask more questions and get informed ...then advocate for yourself !

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

SurvivorsSpouse

Postby SurvivorsSpouse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 am

If Stage 2A, ask to understand why he wants to do adjuvant chemoradiation. There may be some risk factors like close margins, grade, lymphovascular invasion etc.

2A can go either way with oncologists generally recommending further treatment if higher risk factors are there. Folks without higher risk factors quite often have successful outcomes with surgery alone.

Ask his logic, he should be willing to explain it to you.

JJH

Postby JJH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 am

If you look at the NCCN recommendations for Stage II rectal cancer, I don't think you'll find any reference to radiation-only adjuvant treatment:
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57826&p=455361#p455361

I think you need to clarify this with your oncologist. Chemo/radiation combination is possible after resection (that's what I had) but I don't think radiation-only is an accepted standard.
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”