Anyone with experience having a mucosectomy?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kmalbany

Anyone with experience having a mucosectomy?

Postby kmalbany » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm newly diagnosed. My gastroenterologist thought my tumor was benign, but wasn't able to remove what he thought was a polyp so he sent me for a mucosectomy. The ultrasound performed during that procedure didn't show conclusively that the tumor was growing into the 3rd layer of the colon (submucosa) so the doctor went ahead and removed the tumor. Normally a mucosectomy is not performed if a tumor is growing into the 3rd layer - the patient just gets referred to surgery.

When the pathology report came back it showed my tumor had just started growing into the submucosa, was characterized as T1, and it showed that the margins were clear.

The doctor who performed that procedure called me after the pathology report was completed and said I might have the option of just being monitored, or it may be recommended I have surgery.

I'm still gathering information, still need to have a CT scan, and I'm getting ready to get a second opinion (and maybe third). But I wondered if anyone here has had any sort of similar experience or heard of anything similar. I can't imagine not having surgery and then just worrying all the time about the risk of spread, but then I wouldn't want to jump into surgery if it was thought that the risk was so low I could just be monitored. But it's hard to know who to trust.

Lee

Re: Anyone with experience having a mucosectomy?

Postby Lee » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 pm

kmalbany wrote:Hi all,
. . . I can't imagine not having surgery and then just worrying all the time about the risk of spread, but then I wouldn't want to jump into surgery if it was thought that the risk was so low I could just be monitored. But it's hard to know who to trust.

Hi and welcome,

If it were me, I would want it out too. Getting a 2nd opinion would be a wise decision. The CAT scan hopefully will give you a better picture.

Do they suspect cancer? If it is, it sounds like it probably is an early stage.

Keep us posted when you know more.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”