NEW-Need some positivity here.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Aqx99
Facebook Username: aqx99

Re: NEW-Need some positivity here.

Postby Aqx99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:14 pm

teacher2017 wrote:Question about post-op-
I seem to have a cough- a flemy one. Is this just a result from the surgery or do I have pneumonia?

The hospital should have given you an inspirometer to use several times a day. Anesthesia plus being in bed all day can cause issues with your lungs. You need to breathe deeply and periodically cough to exercise your lungs. Hold a pillow against your abdomen when you cough to help with the pain.
Anne, 40
Stage IIIB Rectal Cancer
T3N1bM0
2/21/17 Dx, Age 39
2/21/17 CEA 0.9
3/23/17 - 5/2/17 Chemoradiation, 28 treatments
6/14/17 Robotic LAR w/temp loop ileostomy, ovaries & fallopian tubes removed, 2/21 lymph nodes positive
7/24/17 - 12/18/17 CapeOx, 6 Cycles
7/24/17 Dx w/ovarian cancer
9/6/17 CA 125 11.1
11/27/17 CEA 2.6
12/5/17 CT NED
12/13/17 CEA 2.9
1/11/18 CA 125 8.6
1/23/18 Reversal
3/21/18 CT enlarged thymus
4/6/18 PET NED
7/10/18 CT NED
7/11/18 CEA 2.6
9/18 Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:04 am

teacher2017 wrote:...Did you get an option for chemo? Or was folfox the only thing for you?

Which options are you being given for chemo? Whatever the options, you should consider doing research on all of them before making a final decision, especially where the option contains OX in its name, i.e., Folfox, Xelox, Capeox, Folfirinox, etc. This is because options involving oxaliplatin would need to address the issues of possible severe toxicity and allergic reaction.

Whatever options you are given, you should probably first post a message here telling the options, by name, because there may be someone here who has some important information to share.

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44542&p=321388#p321388

NOTE:
    FOLFOX is superior to 5-FU/leucovorin for patients with stage III colon cancer:

29. Andre T, Boni C, Mounedji-Boudiaf L, et al. Oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as adjuvant treatment for colon cancer. N Engl J Med. 2004;350:2343–51.

30. Andre T, Boni C, Navarro M, et al. Improved overall survival with oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as adjuvant treatment in stage II or III colon cancer in the MOSAIC trail. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:3109–16. Epub 2009 May 18.

teacher2017
Facebook Username: Lydia Clark

Postby teacher2017 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 am

Aqx99 wrote:
teacher2017 wrote:Question about post-op-
I seem to have a cough- a flemy one. Is this just a result from the surgery or do I have pneumonia?

The hospital should have given you an inspirometer to use several times a day. Anesthesia plus being in bed all day can cause issues with your lungs. You need to breathe deeply and periodically cough to exercise your lungs. Hold a pillow against your abdomen when you cough to help with the pain.

I am 12 days out of surgery. I guess I should go see my general MD.
50 yo mom of 2 (15, 18)
DX stage 3c - 12/17 LN. T3
8" colon resection 9/22/17
6.1cm tumor
folfox 11/17-4/18
CEA -1.4 11/8/17
Colonoscopy- 5/18-CLEAR!
Cea -1.8 6/18
Cea -2.1. 8/18
8/10/18 Stage 4
1cm met in seg.8 liver
Liver resection-9/18
Cea -1.5/1.2
Port removal-9/19
Cea -1.2 10/19
Cea -1.1 02/2020
Cea - 1.2 5/20
Cea-1.1 9/20
Cea- 1.3 2/21
Cea.1.3 5/21

teacher2017

Re: NEW-Scared but Positive and Optimistic! Need Help on Putting Things into Perspective...

Postby teacher2017 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:30 am

DonutHead wrote:On 10 August 2017, my colonoscopy reavealed a growth in my sigmoid colon and the Dr. expressed his confidence that it was cancer. The biopsy revealed lowest grade, non aggressive, and encapsulated variety of adenocarcinoma. The Dr. gave me a 95 percent plus prognosis for full recovey. After a blood test revealed I was in excellent health, had a normal CEA count, no markers for cancer in the blood, normal WBC count...A clean CR scan showing no metastisis and a localized tumor....a clean chest xray, i fought for immediate surgery.

Nine days later I had laproscopic surgery and an 8 inch resection of my sigmoid colon with 25 lymph nodes removed. The surgeon was confident that was it. While my life came to a screaching halt, i was confident from the Dr.’s 25 years experience that I would not need chemo, but the biopsy revealed a single lymph node out of 25 that was mildly showing a cancer influence. So from a strong pre-diagnosis ot T1/2 N1a M0 and Stage I, I quickly went to T3a N1 Mx and Stage IIIa.

This was yesterday and I am devestated. My wife broke down...

Tomorrow we go in to discuss options with an oncologist that has the highest reviews and over 31 years experience in treating colon cancer. While not afraid to undergo chemo - it has to be done - I am concerned about how much it will affect me physically. My wife and I have two boys and were planning on working on a girl as our third and final child once we were settled in our next overseas assignment...now I am worried about retrograde ejaculation, infertility from surgery and chemo, everything. The cancer is not genetic.

I want chemo now, I want it out if my body completely, but I do not know what to expect from treatment, side effects, duration, long term effects...I am scared.

As an aside, my beautiful wife saved my life. At our last assignment and while sitting on the toilet reading a men’s health magazine, where the article read, ‘10 signs a man should never ignore!’, i noticed light blood in my stool. it was number one on the list! i told my wife and we watched it come and go over 3 months and then when in between assignments, she made the colonoscopy appointment and made me keep it! She was certain it was a hemorrhoid, but alas it was game changing cancer.

i have a brilliant family and support network, but my life which was just hitting it’s stride on the way up from a hard slog with work over the past several years, came to a screeching halt! I have my health, my family, a positive attitude, outlook, and overall perspective...but i am damn scared!

i am not a smoker, occassional whiskey and red wine drinker, run 4 miles a day, work out, eat healthy, no junk food, no sugar, no fried foods, processed meats, limited red meat intake, fruits and vegetables guy...nothing! but here i am...

sorry, guys! you are all dealing with your own circumstances, but i greatly appreciate anything you can give me in terms of encouragement or good news stories. my family, my wife, my friends are all there for me, but i really need to hear from others who know what i am thinking, feeling, fearing...

God Bless You All!

DH

You and I are in the same freaking boat! We have to find our resolve and do whatever we need to to get this shit out of our body. We want our normal back and resent this surprise! Stay strong and get a counselor. I'm going to. I need to. I have to. I was like you too- get this out now and let's get this treatment done. Scared beyond words. But we have no choice.
Lydia
50 yo mom of 2 (15, 18)
6.1cm tumor
folfox 11/17-4/18
CEA -1.4 11/8/17
Colonoscopy- 5/18-CLEAR!
Cea -1.8 6/18
Cea -2.1. 8/18
8/10/18 Stage 4
1cm met in seg.8 liver
Liver resection-9/18
Cea -1.5/1.2
Port removal-9/19
Cea -1.2 10/19
Cea -1.1 02/2020
Cea - 1.2 5/20
Cea-1.1 9/20
Cea- 1.3 2/21
Cea.1.3 5/21

DonutHead
Facebook Username: mark

Postby DonutHead » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks so much for the reply, Lydia. I am 48 and was angry knowing this all could have been avoided had I a colonoscopy at 40. So many younger people in this forum than the, ‘you need a colonoscopy’ crowd at 50. Damn shame for anyone to have to go through this and the waiting around is the worst. I am an action guy and I want it all done now! To think I was carrying around and developing a malignant tumor over the years....I would have gone into the zone of no return had I avoided my colonscopy...and I almost cancelled it and just moved on until the magic number 50. That would have been too late! It burns me to know this could possibly have been avoided, but here I am, here we are! The joke is I was medically cleared over all if those years and neither doctors or I had any clue!

This morning is with the oncologist. I am not sure I can sit for an infusion. My thoughts of are being in a crack house where everyone goes to get their fix. i know, bad analogy, but i see humor in everything, even this. I have accepted it, relented. What else can we do. When I realize that nearly half of men in their lifetime will experience some form of cancer, i am sort of thankful mine came now, when i am in excellent health, and that it was caught early. We are in limbo with work and that’s fine. We should be overseas and had so many plans!

I feel as if it is best to just go on and get this done, think little about my condition or worry because in the end, I have little control over it other than the process itself. My tumor was somehat flat, less than an inch by half inch in size, and had just broken into the submucosa of the inner colon lining, but had not gone though the muscalaris and into the surrounding tissue. the doctor guessed in two more years it would have gone that way and things would be a while hell of alot different! so indeed i count my blessings, whatever they may be. Two weeks after surgey and I feel perfectly fine and like myself again. I had scars and war wounds from other skirmishes in life, so these physical scars will blend in just nicely. I just ran 4 miles again for the first time in two weeks and was only 2 mins behind my normal time! It felt great to be back!

Will let everyone know how the oncologist goes, but i will push for oral chemo because sitting for infusions will get to me and cause me a great deal of anxiety. Keep moving and stay focused!

DH
Male 49 yrs.
09/2017: Colonoscopy 2.2x2 cm lesion - Invasive Adenocarcinoma
- CT - slightly enlarged LN; CEA 2.0
- LAP Rectosigmoid - 8' and 25 LNs removed
- Biopsy - 1/25 LN slight molecular invasion
- Stage IIIa - T3 N1 M0
- Chemo: 3 of 8 rds Ox; 8 rds 4000mg Xeloda
10/2017: PET - NED
03/2018: PET/CT - NED
09/2018: Colonoscopy & PET/CT - NED
03/2019: CT - NED
09/2019: Colonoscopy & CT - NED (0.9 CEA)
03/2020: CT - NED (1.1 CEA)
11/2020: CT - NED (1.2 CEA)
Still Here!

teacher2017

Postby teacher2017 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:40 am

DonutHead wrote:Thanks so much for the reply, Lydia. I am 48 and was angry knowing this all could have been avoided had I a colonoscopy at 40. So many younger people in this forum than the, ‘you need a colonoscopy’ crowd at 50. Damn shame for anyone to have to go through this and the waiting around is the worst. I am an action guy and I want it all done now! To think I was carrying around and developing a malignant tumor over the years....I would have gone into the zone of no return had I avoided my colonscopy...and I almost cancelled it and just moved on until the magic number 50. That would have been too late! It burns me to know this could possibly have been avoided, but here I am, here we are! The joke is I was medically cleared over all if those years and neither doctors or I had any clue!

This morning is with the oncologist. I am not sure I can sit for an infusion. My thoughts of are being in a crack house where everyone goes to get their fix. i know, bad analogy, but i see humor in everything, even this. I have accepted it, relented. What else can we do. When I realize that nearly half of men in their lifetime will experience some form of cancer, i am sort of thankful mine came now, when i am in excellent health, and that it was caught early. We are in limbo with work and that’s fine. We should be overseas and had so many plans!

I feel as if it is best to just go on and get this done, think little about my condition or worry because in the end, I have little control over it other than the process itself. My tumor was somehat flat, less than an inch by half inch in size, and had just broken into the submucosa of the inner colon lining, but had not gone though the muscalaris and into the surrounding tissue. the doctor guessed in two more years it would have gone that way and things would be a while hell of alot different! so indeed i count my blessings, whatever they may be. Two weeks after surgey and I feel perfectly fine and like myself again. I had scars and war wounds from other skirmishes in life, so these physical scars will blend in just nicely. I just ran 4 miles again for the first time in two weeks and was only 2 mins behind my normal time! It felt great to be back!

Will let everyone know how the oncologist goes, but i will push for oral chemo because sitting for infusions will get to me and cause me a great deal of anxiety. Keep moving and stay focused!

DH

Looks like we are into this one together. I don't want a port either- just because I don't want to freak out my girls. But ok to do anything to get this out of my life! With stage 3b or c they push for a port and folfox. This just sucks! I had a colonoscopy on sept 6- I'm 48. Then bingo- you have cancer. I had a resection on sept 22. I'm healthy and am recovering well. I want to return to work! Being home and reading all the doom & gloom on the internet. I get very depressed and that isn't helping me at all. I have an appt wirhnan onc on Friday. I just want to hear one positive thing!!!!
50 yo mom of 2 (15, 18)
6.1cm tumor
folfox 11/17-4/18
CEA -1.4 11/8/17
Colonoscopy- 5/18-CLEAR!
Cea -1.8 6/18
Cea -2.1. 8/18
8/10/18 Stage 4
1cm met in seg.8 liver
Liver resection-9/18
Cea -1.5/1.2
Port removal-9/19
Cea -1.2 10/19
Cea -1.1 02/2020
Cea - 1.2 5/20
Cea-1.1 9/20
Cea- 1.3 2/21
Cea.1.3 5/21

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:50 am

I recommend a port if you are having infusions. Your veins could be shot if you don't - just a precaution to discuss with oncologist. You will hardly notice a port. It is just under your skin, and when you're finished, it will be taken out. Even though I had blood drawn from my arms two or three times a month, you can also have blood drawn from your port. Yes, there are side effects with FOLFOX, but if you plan the days of your infusion and disconnect, you can work and carry on most of your daily activities. You will get more tired as you go along, I found that happened usually a day or two after I was disconnected (Thursdays), so I slept long hours on the weekend. I continued my 3-mile walks while I was pumping chemo. I thought I better do everything I could to get those chemo drugs pumping to every part of my body. Yes, you will have side effects. There are very few people who don't. And when you do, discuss them all with your oncologist each time you visit. FOLFOX is manageable. Stay hydrated, stay positive....and remember one day at a time. If you don't count the days, they will go faster. Best to you, Andre
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:55 am

My oncologist said I could try without the port. I figured I was having six infusions at 3 week intervals so I would try. I took xeloda for two weeks in between so I didn't need the pump. You do get your blood drawn every week also. It went pretty well, although, there were a couple of times it took a little time to get the IV in. But I made it through okay. I think if I had to have more infusions or the pump I would've done the port. You can ask your oncologist and they can look at your veins to see if they think you could do without the port. You have to stay hydrated as veins will collapse if you're dehydrated. The port does make it much easier I'm sure.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

DonutHead

Postby DonutHead » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Just back from the oncologist...lovely Doctor and I have the ultimate confidence in his care. He said that while I may not necessarily require chemo - I should take it just to be sure...and that’s what I am going to do. It’s the only way I will breath easier again. While he suggested a port, I select to use my veins since I will require 12 rounds of FOLFOX coupled with XELODA over a 6 month period. So I will receive FOLFOX intravenously on a single day 12 times over the course of treatment with a week off followed by two pills of XELODA daily for two weeks, then repeat. That is one cycle. While I did not want to sit for an infusion, it was that or a port and i just do not want to be constantly reminded there is something in my chest regardless of whether or not anyone else notices. i would notice! anyway, the Doctor said get the treatment and you will be fine. Select not to have the treatment and you risk recurrence, a worsening of the cancer if it returns, metastasis, or a future irreversible secondary diagnosis. Why gamble? So i start next week and will let everyone know how it goes as it goes. my advice to anyone going through this and i have only learned about my condition a little less than 3 weeks now, is to always push for the best care and treatment with the best doctors and do it NOW! Do not sit, do not wait, do not contemplate, do not risk it. Of course, make the best decisions for you using the best information available, some of which can be found on this site with your fellow club members, but do not hesitate to make yourself better and cancer free...YOU can do it, WE can all do it!

DH
Male 49 yrs.
- Stage IIIa - T3 N1 M0
Still Here!

DonutHead

Postby DonutHead » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:26 pm

I would love to respond to your individual messages, but appears i have not been on the site long enough for that luxury so please be patient with me. once i have the access and am granted the response privelage, I will respond as this is now my favorite social networking site!

DH
Male 49 yrs.
- Stage IIIa - T3 N1 M0
Still Here!

Aqx99
Facebook Username: aqx99

Postby Aqx99 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:22 pm

I recommend getting the port. I'm only going to have a maximum of 6 infusions, but I knew I didn't want to risk frying my veins. My mom has bad veins from when she had chemo, she needs a central line any time she goes to the hospital. I hardly notice my port anymore. It was sore at first, of course, then I kind of had a heavy feeling in my chest for about a month. After the incision healed and the tissue around the port firmed up to hold it in place, I only notice it in the shower when washing my chest. It's a small bump that isn't even visible to the naked eye. The thing I especially like about the port is that I apply lidocaine cream to it before an infusion and it does not hurt at all when they stick the needle in. Plus, you know they are going to hit it the first time, every time. I tend to be a hard stick anyway, blood draws typically require some fishing. I really don't want to sit through that every time I go.
Anne, 40
Stage IIIB Rectal Cancer
T3N1bM0
2/21/17 Dx, Age 39
2/21/17 CEA 0.9
3/23/17 - 5/2/17 Chemoradiation, 28 treatments
6/14/17 Robotic LAR w/temp loop ileostomy, ovaries & fallopian tubes removed, 2/21 lymph nodes positive
7/24/17 - 12/18/17 CapeOx, 6 Cycles
7/24/17 Dx w/ovarian cancer
9/6/17 CA 125 11.1
11/27/17 CEA 2.6
12/5/17 CT NED
12/13/17 CEA 2.9
1/11/18 CA 125 8.6
1/23/18 Reversal
3/21/18 CT enlarged thymus
4/6/18 PET NED
7/10/18 CT NED
7/11/18 CEA 2.6
9/18 Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy

benben

Postby benben » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Aqx99 wrote:I recommend getting the port. I'm only going to have a maximum of 6 infusions, but I knew I didn't want to risk frying my veins. My mom has bad veins from when she had chemo, she needs a central line any time she goes to the hospital. I hardly notice my port anymore. It was sore at first, of course, then I kind of had a heavy feeling in my chest for about a month. After the incision healed and the tissue around the port firmed up to hold it in place, I only notice it in the shower when washing my chest. It's a small bump that isn't even visible to the naked eye. The thing I especially like about the port is that I apply lidocaine cream to it before an infusion and it does not hurt at all when they stick the needle in. Plus, you know they are going to hit it the first time, every time. I tend to be a hard stick anyway, blood draws typically require some fishing. I really don't want to sit through that every time I go.

Yes Port is the ticket. Veins would be hammered without it. You get port surgery, sore for maybe a week then it just becomes another part of you.
I call myself a cyborg when I see it :) Keep looking for the brightside of things. Something positive - well you are not stage 4 and that means a much better prognosis.
Hang in there.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Basil

Postby Basil » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 pm

I didn't want a port, either. I felt like, on some small or subconscious level, I would be a cancer cyborg, with strange medical devices implanted in me to get me through treatment.

To each his own and all that, but ports are a whole lot of not a big deal. The "surgery" to install mine was a cakewalk, with virtually no pain or other short term effects. After that, you forget it's there. No one would notice unless they're up and close and there's no discomfort. I was recently released from treatment and my onc wanted me to keep it for a year in case I needed it again. I agreed with no fuss because, again, I barely register its presence. And it is helpful not just for chemo but with blood draws and iv lines. Port handles all that.
40 y/o male (now 46), kids 11 & 14.
Dx 3/16/17, rectal cancer s3,t3,n1,m0
PROSPCT trial (FOLFOX in lieu of chemorad)
FOLFOX 4/5/17 - 6/26/17
LAR 7/31/17, temp ileo
pathological complete response
Adjuvant chemo cancelled (IDEA Study)
Ileo reversed 9/25/17
NED
1 year scans - clear
2 year scans - clear
3 year scans - clear
4 year scans - clear
5 year scans - clear (considered cured)

DonutHead

Postby DonutHead » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Sorry, everyone...I am new to this so will surely make mistakes. Earlier I wrote the oncologist suggested FOLFOX for intravenous infusion. I was wrong. It’s actually an infusion of Oxaliplatin alone over the course of 12 cycles (6 months) and not the other two drugs that make up FOLFOX. The XELODA regimine remains the same. Sorry for the error and any confusion I amy have caused.

DH
Male 49 yrs.
- Stage IIIa - T3 N1 M0
Still Here!

teacher2017

Postby teacher2017 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:09 am

DonutHead wrote:Sorry, everyone...I am new to this so will surely make mistakes. Earlier I wrote the oncologist suggested FOLFOX for intravenous infusion. I was wrong. It’s actually an infusion of Oxaliplatin alone over the course of 12 cycles (6 months) and not the other two drugs that make up FOLFOX. The XELODA regimine remains the same. Sorry for the error and any confusion I amy have caused.

DH

Why Xeloda ? What's the difference? I really think that would work for me. I meet tomorrow with the onc. Let's see what they suggest. Seems like FOLFOX is standard treatment for stage 3.
50 yo mom of 2 (15, 18)
6.1cm tumor
folfox 11/17-4/18
CEA -1.4 11/8/17
Colonoscopy- 5/18-CLEAR!
Cea -1.8 6/18
Cea -2.1. 8/18
8/10/18 Stage 4
1cm met in seg.8 liver
Liver resection-9/18