Just told I have a mass in rectum

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KathyLynn

Just told I have a mass in rectum

Postby KathyLynn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:14 am

Hi all, I'm a 59 year old female. I had a colonoscopy yesterday. My first one. After I woke up the doctor said he was 99% sure if was cancer. So for the holiday weekend, I'm sitting here so worried. He said it was a 5 c m. That's all I know. I have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday and waiting for one with the oncologist. Please help, I'm going crazy here.
Thanks.
8/2017. RC
11/27/2017. Robotic LAR. No chemo/rad
12/2017 Moderatley differentiated, 3.0 cm in greatest dimension
Macroscopic tumor perf: not identified. All margins of resection and proximal neg for tumor.
Lymphovascular and perineural invasion: not identified.
1/13/2018. T2N0M0 with isolated tumor cell (ITC)
7/2018. CEA 2.0. 10/18: 2.0. 1/19: 2.3 11/19. 2.1
11/19 CT NED
06/21 CT NED CEA 1.3

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Re: Just told I have a mass in rectum

Postby susie0915 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:32 am

Welcome. Sorry for the reason you're on this forum. 2 1/2 years ago I had a colonoscopy. I did have some bleeding I was sure was hemorrhoids since I had a clean colonoscopy five years before. When I woke up the Dr. came in and said there was a tumor he was sure was cancer. He had set up a appt. with a surgeon the next day which was a Friday. After meeting the surgeon he confirmed he was sure it was cancer and was small but only 4 cm from anal verge. A ct scan was scheduled for Sunday to see if there were any spots elsewhere. An endoscopic ultrasound was scheduled for Tuesday in order to stage and see if it had gone into lymph nodes. I understand your feelings as I was shocked. When the Dr. came in to do the ultrasound I told him I had a ct scan on Sunday. He said he would check results to see if he needed to do ultrasound. If ct scan found other spots I would be stage 4 automatically. He came back and said we are doing the ultrasound, so that was good news. After the ultrasound I was stage 2A. My tumor had not gone through the wall totally or gotten into the lymph nodes. The next step was talking to doctors about treatment. The surgeon said he thought the tumor had been there prob 5 years. Even though I had a colonoscopy 5 years before it prob was so tiny or right before it started to form. The next few weeks will be a whirlwind for you, trying to get all the info possible and just dealing with your diagnosis. Just know there are many people on this forum diagnosed at all stages that are doing well years later and willing to support in anyway they can. Don't be afraid to ask questions and get second opinions. I didn't go with the original surgeon I was referred to even though he had a great bed side manner. I felt comfortable going to a different hospital after speaking to all the Drs. I would be seeing at both hospitals. Good Luck and try to have a good holiday weekend. Prayers and hugs
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 am

I'm a 58-year-old male and went into the ER with rectal bleeding on June 23 and came out with cancer (confirmed later by path report). So I know how you feel. My tumor was about the same size as yours and also rectal as opposed to the colon. What matters next is the staging as that determines your options and course of treatment. Mine is 3B which means that it's in the muscle and a few lymph nodes so my course is chemo and radiation, surgery, then mop-up chemo. I will be starting my last week of chemo and radiation next week.

If your stage is lower, say 1 or 2, then things will likely be easier, maybe a lot easier.

There were people ahead of me by a week or two or three and they helped me out though the process so far. But a lot depends on what they find from the biopsy and from additional tests. You will likely get scanned one or more times and have a lot of blood tests. I won't say to not worry because that's impossible to do but there are a lot of people here to help you through the process.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

Aqx99
Facebook Username: aqx99

Postby Aqx99 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:25 pm

I've been there, too. I'm 39 and told my doctor, during a routine physical, about having persistent diarrhea and bleeding. She checked to see if I was anemic with my regular bloodwork. I was, so she referred me to a gastroenterologist for a consult. She assured me it was probably IBS or something like that. The gastroenterologist said a colonoscopy would be the best way to figure out what was going on. I almost said no, but I figured if my doctor was concerned enough to send me to him, I should do what he recommended. I woke up in the recovery room to him showing me 4 color pictures of my tumor. He told me that he wanted to wait for the biopsy results, but in his experience it was cancer. The next day he called to confirm it was indeed cancer. After that it was a blur of doctor appointments, surgeon, medical oncologist, radiation oncologist, meeting my nurse navigator (who is a very awesome lady). I have been through chemoradiation and surgery and am currently in chemotherapy.

My advice to you is this: BREATHE. Our treatment is a marathon, not a sprint. Take a notebook with you to each appointment and take notes. Jot down any questions you think of between appointments so you don't forget. Feel free to ask us anything. We were in your shoes once.
Anne, 40
Stage IIIB Rectal Cancer
T3N1bM0
2/21/17 Dx, Age 39
2/21/17 CEA 0.9
3/23/17 - 5/2/17 Chemoradiation, 28 treatments
6/14/17 Robotic LAR w/temp loop ileostomy, ovaries & fallopian tubes removed, 2/21 lymph nodes positive
7/24/17 - 12/18/17 CapeOx, 6 Cycles
7/24/17 Dx w/ovarian cancer
9/6/17 CA 125 11.1
11/27/17 CEA 2.6
12/5/17 CT NED
12/13/17 CEA 2.9
1/11/18 CA 125 8.6
1/23/18 Reversal
3/21/18 CT enlarged thymus
4/6/18 PET NED
7/10/18 CT NED
7/11/18 CEA 2.6
9/18 Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy

mozart13

Postby mozart13 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Kathy,
I was in about in the same shoes as you now, was told same thing as you are, polyp/cancer was 4.5 cm, they marked the area with ink, had CT, MRI, couple of more colonoscopies, some blood work, they checked my CEA, cancer blood marker.
Initial plan was chemo/rad, operation, chemo, than reversal of operation.
After chemo/rad I went for scope, surgeon couldnt find that polyp, passed that area, than eventually found ink marker, I was awake, that was pleaseant surprise.

Was I initially stressed, o yes, was walking through the park and crying,and thats normal, we go through stages.
Than it came to me, this is not death sententce, there are a lots of good stories out there, cancer is becoming like chronic disease, treatable.
There are some people that are completlly cured, met somone who had rectal cancer 14 years ago, curred, never looked back.
When I went for my radiation there was one patient about my age, had rectal cancer 7 years ago, they did only radiation on him at that time, cancer was gonne,this time they added chemo.
There are a lots of good stories on this board.
You rembeber what HIV used to be, but now people live normal life with that disease.

There is say "worrying is like rocking chair, keeps you busy, but gets you nowhere".

Try to focus on whats important at this time, like when you start chemo/rad, avoid antioxidants, eat high proetein diet, try to be active.

If you have any specific question, feel free to ask, good luck to you!
55 year at the time of diagnosis, male
Diagnosed with T1,T2 N0 M0 rectal cancer
Total neoadjuvant therapy or TNT (chemoradiation followed by systemic chemotherapy)
Negative since Feb. '17
No surgery
Watch&Wait approach 8)
I don’t come much to the forum , so if this is not updated it means I remain negative!
Wish good luck to all!

Volfan

Postby Volfan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:27 pm

I truly hate this for you.
As a previous post says there is going to be a lot going on for the next few weeks. You will want to take a minute every now and then and breathe.
As questions pop in your head write them down so you don't forget when you see the doctors. Biggest mistake I made was not doing that. Leave the appointment and you start to remember them all.
There are some really smart people on this board that understands what the doc is going to tell you. If you get home and not sure about something doc has said post it. This board and the information has really been a calming thing for me.
Stage IV Rectal cancer with liver mets
Oxaliplatin, avastin, 5fu
48 yr dude

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Many hospitals have patient portals. If your hospitals have patient portals, then register for them and monitor them from time to time, say once a week. These portals typically contain doctor visit notes, lab results, bills and a means of communicating electronically with your doctor or their team. So if you didn't get everything down in your notes, you can grab them off the portal. It's also nice to be able to get the lab results as we do discuss lab results on this forum where applicable.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

Chickspeed

Postby Chickspeed » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:06 pm

I just thought I would chime in.
Sorry to hear about your condition and offer my thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Dec 15 2016
Colonoscopy
5-6 cm fungating tumour 10-11 cm from anal verge

Dec 29 2016
CT scans with drinkable then injection contrast materials

Jan 19 2017
MRI to see how deeply the tumour has invaded
MRI says ct2 or early ct3 and noted 3 enlarged lymph nodes

Feb 15 2017
Meeting with Medical and radiation oncologists
scheduled chemoradiation for 25 session with xeloda (generic version)

Feb 22 2017
Went to have markings in my waist area to allow tracking and alignment
for radiation this is done with a ct scan. (3 tiny black dots one on right side, one on left side and one in center of my waist)

March 6 2017
started radiation once a day and xeloda twice a day on days of radiation.

April 7 2017
Finished chemoradiation side effect for me were almost non existent.

June 20th 2017
LAR surgery
Surgeon very please with surgery

Aug 8th 2017
Visit with surgeon and get pathology report
extrapolation from pathology report
Diagnosis
Minimal residual well differentiated adenocarcinoma (less than 0.1 cm) <- originally 5-6 CM in size
-involving submucosa
-appears completely excised
- no lymph node involvement
- no lympho vascular involvement
- no perineural involvement

pt1 pn0

I have to say the hardest part was getting information a little at a time and waiting between
scans and test. and surgery.
My cancer team would not offer staging info before they had my pathology report and the very best
piece of advice they gave me was the hardest to follow and cope with. It was simply:

"STAY AWAY FROM DR GOOGLE, MOST INFORMATION IS DATED AND NOT ACCURATE!!!"

I have detailed info on the radiation process etc. If you have and question in that respect i may be able to help.

I found that few respond exactly the same to chemoradiation (if that's the treatment you choose)
but most have a reasonable response from pathologically complete to very good down grading.

I am sure everyone here feels your stress waiting.. but please remember there are many people here who have and are going through the same thing you are and they are a wealth of real information and support not a soulless search engine.
12/15/2016 Mod Diff tumour 5-6 cm 10-12 cm fr AV T3 tumour cea 1.4
12/29/2016 CT no spread ln normal
1/19/2017 MRI confirms mass and shows 3 enlarged LN (suspected to be infection draining)
3/6/2017 25 sessions chemoradiation
6/20/2017 LAR with temp loop ileo
7/10/2017 Path 20mm margins tumour 0.1 CM with microscopic invasion of submucosa
aug-dec 2017 6 rnds xeloda
1/9/2018 CT all clear
1/18/2018 Colonoscopy clear
3/27/2018 ileo reversal
CEA continues to be normal

AbbyDoo

Postby AbbyDoo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi Kathy,
I'm really sorry you are going to have to go threw this. It is not a death sentence and hopefully it will just be a little bump in life for you. Not knowing what stage you are or treatment your are going to receive is one of the hardest part of this journey. One of the most important things you can do is stay positive. My surgeon always told me I could beat it with the right attitude.
Your going to have a pretty busy couple weeks. Blood work,CT scan,MRI and other tests. I suggest you get a note book for all your questions and take an extra set of ears to appointments.
Just rember your not alone in this,we have walked in your shoes and are willing to help you.
Oh ya don't start reading everything on Dr. Google just yet. It will just put your mind in that dark place that is no fun to be at.
Hang in the think positive,
53 yrs old
4/30/15 colonoscopy Mass found
5/21/15 staged 3 C rectal cancer
7/3/15 finished xeloda and radiation 28 rounds
9/30/15 LAR
10/29/15 picc line installed
11/2/15 start chemo 5 fu Oxaliplatin
3/7/16 Finish Chemo
4/29/16 Ileostomy Reversal.
7/13/16 colonoscopy clear.
CRC survivors know there Sh%t

JJH

Postby JJH » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:35 pm

KathyLynn wrote:Hi all, I'm a 59 year old female. I had a colonoscopy yesterday. My first one. After I woke up the doctor said he was 99% sure if was cancer. So for the holiday weekend, I'm sitting here so worried. He said it was a 5 c m. That's all I know. I have an appointment with a surgeon on Tuesday and waiting for one with the oncologist. Please help, I'm going crazy here.
Thanks.

I think it would help if you could spend some time this week-end learning about the terminology used in determining the stage of your cancer, since tentative staging is the main objective of the first week of tests and scans. Here is some information on the TNM staging system:
http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/colorectal-cancer/stages

Also, at this point you should try to find out about the exact location of the tumor in the rectum (high, middle, or low), the type of tumor, and its grade, since this information is probably already available from the biopsy that they did this week. Then you can start to familiarize yourself with some of the important terms that people use in their signatures here, since you will eventually want to create a signature of your own to show what your diagnosis, staging and treatment plans are. Here is some information on signatures:
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52681&p=421597#p421597

Then if there are still some terms that you don't understand, you can see if you can find them here:
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5366&p=419139#p419139

Finally, one of the first things you will want to do at this point is to determine if your surgeon is a Board Certified colorectal surgeon, as this is extremely important for rectal cancer cases. You need to have the best Board Certified colorectal surgeon that you can find, not just an ordinary General Surgeon: You will also want to find out what kind of surgery (e.g. open surgery vs. laparascopic surgery) the surgeon has in mind.
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52349&p=410280#p410280

https://www.oncolink.org/cancers/gastrointestinal/rectal-cancer/surgery-for-rectal-cancer

For your first appointment with the oncologist, here are some questions to ask:
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53889&p=428555#p428555

Note: Before they attempt any surgery or treatment you should have a blood test to determine your baseline level of the CEA tumor marker,
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Postby ocstacy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:10 pm

My first one. After I woke up the doctor said he was 99% sure if was cancer. So for the holiday weekend, I'm sitting here so worried. He said it was a 5 c m.

I was with my mom when she had her 2nd colonoscopy. I made her go get one cause she let me know she was having pain and bleeding in rectum, she thought it was hemorrhoids. I was very upset with my mom cause she was supposed to get her procedure done a few years ago. She ignored the dr's request.
Anyhow my mom was diagnosed back in May 2017 with a 6 cm mass in lower rectum, Adenoma Carcinoma Stage 3A. I was devastated when the GI let me know the results. He told me it was cancer and it didn't look good and she will most likely have a perm. colostomy. Don't be alarmed because of what I am saying about my mother's condtion, your's may be totally different. I searched and searched for a good colorectal surgeon @USC Keck Hospital. My mom just ended her Neoadjuvant therapy 08/16, she did well with the Xeloda and Radiation surprisingly as I was very nervous about her being on Chemo. It's scary to take it all in so fast. I think my mom's tumor is shrinking cause they mentioned two weeks after tx, she will start to feel her worst, and she is. I hope that you get the results you were looking for and start tx soon. I feel that the colon cancer is slow growing in my opinion. I wish you the best!! Hugs! <3
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

orlar

Postby orlar » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm really sorry you have this happening, but you will get through it. It's hard not to freak out while waiting to find out what's going on. Try to breathe and take it a step at a time. As the others have said, it will probably be a bit of a whirlwind for a while and you'll have a range of feelings. I haven't been a member very long, but have found there are a lot of knowledgeable (and more importantly for me) compassionate, supportive members to help you through this.
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!
56yo male DX 5/17, Right Hemi colectomy 6/17
Stage 3c 12 of 21 LN
7/17-12/17 Folfox(no Oxi round 9-12)
12/17 liver/lung mets-Stage 4 MSS KRAS G13D
2/18 liver doubled to 8.5cm+new met, lung mets to 1.4cm, multi peri/omen
2/18-7/18 Folfiri+Avastin(no 5FU after C2)
4/18 mets shrinking
7/18 liver/lung mets growing, Folfiri stopped
10/18 In Clinical Trial
CEA 5/17-16.2, 12/17-16.1, 02/18-43.0, 3/18-16.9, 4/18-9.0, 5/18-5.5, 6/18-6.9, 7/18-7.8, 9/18-56

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi, KathyLynn! My story is similar to yours. I was in my mid-fifties, had my first colonoscopy, and upon waking was told they were almost 100% positive it was rectal cancer. Mine was 6 cm, I think.

This time is devastating, terrifying, and overwhelming. You will have a lot of information and a lot of appointments to deal with in the next few weeks. Try to write down questions for doctors, take someone with you to appointments as it's easy to forget everything when you are nervous, and if you feel you need it, ask for Ativan to help calm you down. I found it took the edge off my anxiety without making me feel drugged or drowsy.

If you Google statistics and survival rates and all that junk, you will find old studies and misinformation. Your best bet is reading personal experiences on here. Once they've done tests to find out how deep the tumor has penetrated and if it has spread anywhere else, you'll have a better idea of what you are dealing with. Standard treatment for rectal cancer is five weeks of radiation and chemo pills, a few weeks to rest, surgery to remove what's left of the tumor, and then if needed, chemo to mop up any stray cells left behind. But that's just the standard treatment, so yours may vary.

I did most of the standard treatment (had to stop the followup chemo after one infusion because of a bad reaction) and I have been cancer-free for two years now. You'll find lots of other successful outcomes on this board. A lot of us hang around even after we are no longer battling cancer because we've made good friends here, but mostly because we remember that scary place you are in now and we want to help others get through it the way members helped us through it. So don't be afraid to ask questions, rant, let your feelings out, etc. We are here to help in any way we can. The search box on this forum is incredibly helpful. Any questions you might have or terminology you aren't sure about can be typed in there and tons of posts will pop up on the subject. I used the search box for hours every day when I was first diagnosed and went into my doctors' appointments with a good basic knowledge of what was going on in my body. Some people are more comfortable knowing as little as possible, but I'm the opposite--I feel slightly more in control with more knowledge.

I'm sorry you are going through this and sorry it's happening on the holiday weekend. I won't tell you to relax, because I know that's impossible, but I hope you can spend some time with people you love and who love you. That's the best medicine in the world.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

Nelbel

Postby Nelbel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi,
I'm so sorry you're here. I was told the exact same thing just days before Christmas 2015, a 5 - 6cm tumor that was most likely cancer. Hard to believe it was that long ago. After the initial shock (and like you, my doc knew and said it was cancer immediately, no biopsy needed before I could be told) there were a lot of tears and doctor appointments. I thought I could get started Immediately but meeting w three surgeons, an oncologist, a radiation oncologist took some time. That's ok as it is a slow growing cancer.

I am now on the other side and while it was the worst year of my life, I got through it! And, you will too.

I wish I got connected to this site early on, lots of knowledgeable folks w lots of information. All I can say now, being on the other side, is I would look into the trial that is chemo only (no radiation). I did not qualify unfortunately. There are folks on here who have done it and things seem to be going well. It was a rough year, no doubt, but radiation did the most damage. Make sure you feel good about your doctors (hopefully you live somewhere where you have choices). Folks here are more than happy to answer any questions you may have and share their experiences. Do not hesitate.

Best of luck to you. Hard as it may be, try to stay positive....
DX Dec 2015 at age 41
Stage 3 RC
Radiation and xeloda
May 2016 LAR and temp ileo
8 rounds chemo
Nov 2016 ileo reversed!

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:02 pm

This all sounds pretty familiar -- pretty much what happened to me in late November of 2005. Mine was stage 2a rectal cancer, found by a colonoscopy. After surgery, radiation, and chemo, for me, there's been no further sign of the cancer since. Try not to worry.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”