MD Anderson possibly flooding

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
justin case

Re: MD Anderson possibly flooding

Postby justin case » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:02 pm

bitchslapped wrote:Bro Nut - Are you still dry in the hood? Watched videos of Katy, TX for quite awhile yesterday on the news after opening up the reservoirs + storm water coming down.
Was sure thinking of YOU & all your fellow Texans affected by this disaster.

Best Wishes

BS

The reservoirs are put there to save the city of Houston from flooding. I am in north Katy to the west of those gates. High and dry here after the gates were opened. Where Basil lives there is a mile wide river, in between the reservoir, and Gessner. My son lives just above that area, by about 3 blocks, and is still shut in due to the flood. Areas under flood in Katy, are million dollar homes that were built, by developers to entice people to get away from the city, and enjoy rural living. That got way out of hand, and now a place that was home to 200 to 300 homes, is stretched to 100,000. The army corps of engineers who built the reservoir 60 years ago, was not trying to protect grassland, just the city of Houston. As the strive for capital gains in the housing market grew, I would hope those homeowners were enticed to buy flood insurance! As I am not in the flood plane, there was no mention of it. Tuesday morning at 2 AM,I was ready to evacuate, although with the release at the dam, and it stopped raining after 44 inches of rain, the lake 15 ft.from my front door started to recede. The stream 200 ft. away from my house is Bear Creek, that directly feeds into the dam. The Bear Creek community is built, way too close to the reservoir, and should have stayed grassland . Bear creek park is a nice place when it doesn't flood, and so is Herman Park, when it is not raining. Both were designed to be used as public picnic areas, very beautiful I might add, but both were also intended to filter flood waters. I've been in Houston for over 40 years, through 3 major hurricanes, Alicia, Ike , and now Harvey. Allison, (Tropical Storm) was just a flood event, and based just on Allison, buying into Houston Real estate should give people thought, on where to reside . Herman Park is located in the medical center, home of the Houston Zoo, and several museums. During Alicia, 34 years ago, the medical center was flooded to the point that bodies in the morgue at the University of Texas were floating around. My X father in law, was the engineer who designed and built the flood protection in the medical center. Things will settle down in our area, and thanks to the efforts of many humanitarian effort including Basil's, things will return to normal, or maybe enhance future generations to come !
Thanks for asking,
Bro Nut
Last edited by justin case on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:17 pm

Texas is a shinning example of man helping his fellow man. The people that have come from near and far to help save people (and there pets) from flood zones is awesome. And thanks to people like Basil who opened there home to flood victims. It looks like the worst of the water level is over, butt the real challenge is just ahead, trying to rebuild Houston. Butt I know you guys will do it.

I saw on TV yesterday, a man's house that had been flooded. His co workers showed up at his house to help out. They were not asked, they just showed up to help. They interview a women ripping up the hard wood floors. The reporter asked her if she had done this before. Nope this was her first time doing this kind of work.

All the best to the people of Houston and the surrounding areas.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Michael, what a great post...very interesting! Am so glad you & your son had no damage & family is ok. It was also mentioned on the news that all flood insurance is backed by the FEDS, NOT insurance companies.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/insuran ... nce-1.aspx

I echo Lee.

BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia