Gastro docs in Northern California?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
steiconi

Gastro docs in Northern California?

Postby steiconi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Can anyone recommend gastro-intestinal doc/surgeon/center in northern California?
Sacramento would be ideal, but travel is possible. I'm moving to the California Gold Country next spring, and hope to hook up with a new doctor quickly, to help with leftover rectal cancer problems.

I've heard there's a good GI center in Bend, OR, anybody have experience with them? But I would prefer something further south.

thanks!
Lee
I am not my disease.

peanut_8

Re: Gastro docs in Northern California?

Postby peanut_8 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Lee,
Dr. Michael Mendoza, GI Consultants Gastroenterologist, Monterey CA, is one of the top 10 GI's on the west coast, (according to my surgeon). He did my most recent colonoscopy and is professional, knowledgable and pleasant.

Best Wishes,
peanut

edited to add that they have an office in Salinas also, which may be more convenient
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:48 pm

Lee:
It must be serendipidity that has lead me to finding you on the Colon Club. I received a notification that you have a PM aim waiting for me on the UOAA support forum. I have been absent from posting in the UOAA forum for several months and am not able to recall my password, which has kept me from accessing your PM sand replying to you in kind.

I gather the gist of your PM in waiting is similar in query as to the question submitted here?

You will have ample access to some of the best/Top Notch physicians in the entire west coast in the San Francisco Bay Area and southern Bay Area peninsula (Palo Alto, Burlingame, San Luis Obispo, Davis).

The University of California at San Francisco Hospital system (UCSF) is a recognized leader in GI management. It is one of the few hospitals in the country that performs the delicate and complex small intestine transplant. UCSF is an enormous research and teaching hospital. Navigating the campus and selecting a physician can be an initial obstacle to individuals new to its systems and structure. But the reward in persevering is that you will have access to some of medicine's brightest minds and cutting-edge care.

Pacific Medical Center is a private hospital system that is recognized in the Bay Area for excellence in care. If you are wanting a more personalized environment than a teaching/research model such as UCSF, then Pacific Medical Center may be a good "fit" for you. Pacific Medical Center has campuses in the heart of San Francisco (Buchanan St.), Davis, San Jose, and San Luis Obispo. I was a patient at PMC several years ago and was 100% pleased with the care. Modern, clean, excellent nursing and ancillary services.

I live in Portland, Ore and am not familiar with any Bend, Oregon GI physician group of notoriety. Bend is a growing and thriving community in the otherwise remote corner of eastern Oregon. Bend's population growth is primarily retirees from high tech software engineering jobs, bringing with them a steady stream of financial security into the community. Bend is similar in apology to Park City, Utah. Bend, Oregon is known for stellar orthopedic surgeons. The mountains are a skier's paradise. The US Olympic ski team routinely sets up its training camps in Bend.

Welcome to Sacramento. Take time to settle in and enjoy your new home and local community.

I hope to chat with you soon vis-a-vis the UOAA ostomy forum,
Karen (aka "Button" on the UOAA forum)
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

steiconi

Postby steiconi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:22 pm

Good Golly, Karen, thank you for your detailed reply! UCSF sounds good, but oooh, Davis would be closer! I'm going to check this out and see if I can get set up before I arrive next March or whenever. (Still have to sell this house before we can go to CA)

I grew up in Sacramento, and lived in SF and the Bay Area for 30 years, so moving back feels like a homecoming, even though it will be mostly new.

My PM was to ask how you were doing, miss you on UOAA!
If you try to login to UOAA, there's a link "I forgot my password" that should get you back among the ostomates!

Lee
I am not my disease.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”