2nd Chemo treatment

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pdp497

2nd Chemo treatment

Postby pdp497 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:36 pm

I have now been waiting for an infusion scheduled to begin at 130 that's hasn't begun yet as of 330. That is after attending an appointment where I thought I would see my oncologist and instead only got the PA. Is this par for the course at major cancer centers? It feels like no one takes patients into consideration you are just shuffled from one appointment to the next and no one is interested in keeping to a schedule or doing anything in a timely fashion.
Dx 7/17 stage 4 inoperable colon cancer with "numerous" mets to the liver (one large 2.6cm x 2.3 the rest 1 to 1.5 cm)
MSS
KRAS
8/4 CEA 240

Shana

Re: 2nd Chemo treatment

Postby Shana » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:46 pm

pdp497 wrote:I have now been waiting for an infusion scheduled to begin at 130 that's hasn't begun yet as of 330. That is after attending an appointment where I thought I would see my oncologist and instead only got the PA. Is this par for the course at major cancer centers? It feels like no one takes patients into consideration you are just shuffled from one appointment to the next and no one is interested in keeping to a schedule or doing anything in a timely fashion.

I've only visited UCSF Helen Diller Cancer Center for surgery and for a second opinion which included genetic testing (awaiting results) so I don't have any experience with receiving weekly treatment at a major cancer center. The process at UCSF is definitely less personal but the doctors who I have met were personable and extremely knowledgable. I've never seen a PA at the smaller Cancer Center I go to. If my oncologist is out of the office then I see one of her colleagues. Just try to go with the flow and not let the waiting stress you out. I know easier said than done.... Good luck!
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
Irinotecan and Erbitux ran it's course. CEA rising
Primary tumor invaded tail of pancreas and spleen. Liver mets major concern
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:27 pm

pdp497 wrote:I have now been waiting for an infusion scheduled to begin at 130 that's hasn't begun yet as of 330. That is after attending an appointment where I thought I would see my oncologist and instead only got the PA. Is this par for the course at major cancer centers? It feels like no one takes patients into consideration you are just shuffled from one appointment to the next and no one is interested in keeping to a schedule or doing anything in a timely fashion.

Sheesh, hopefully that's not par for the course. I went to a local treatment center v. one of the major centers, but I don't think I ever waited more than about 30 minutes. Was there maybe something crazy going on that day that delayed them? I would hope someone would have told you, but you never know I guess. As for seeing a PA vs. doctor, mine rotated me. I'd see the actual oncologist about 1 out of every 3 visits (so about every 2 months, since I had visits every 3 weeks). So I'd say that part is probably standard. Don't be afraid to ask questions about your care though. If this crazy disease taught me anything, it's that you have to speak up and demand good care.

Smiles, Hugs and Prayers,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

karaj

Postby karaj » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated! The "hurry up and wait" has been the standard for my three years at a major cancer center. I see my NP for many infusion appointments but always see my oncologist for scan results, treatment changes, and if I request it. The infusions do take awhile to start but I know it is because the pharmacists don't start mixing the chemo until they get orders from my NP or onc and those are dependent on that day's vitals. The center is so busy that it then takes awhile before the chemo makes its way to my room.

Some days the wait feels longer than others. Some days I just don't have the patience for it. The worst is waiting for my onc to come in the room with scan results. The best is when my infusion nurse would start my nausea meds pretty soon after I hit the chair and then I'd nap on and off for the next few hours.

Again, sorry that you're so frustrated! I hope you're feeling alright post-chemo.

Kara
36 y/o female, dx at 32
8/14 dx Stage IIIC, 10/30 lymph nodes
8/14-9/14: sigmoidoscopy, fertility preservation, port-a-cath
9/14 - 3/15: FOLFOX (allergic to oxaliplatin, underwent desensitization)
4/15: NED
1/16: dx Stage IV, recurrence in three lymph nodes behind abdomen
2/16: FOLFIRI
8/16: NED
8/17: NED, currently under no treatment, scans every 3 months
http://www.karaincancerland.com

Volfan

Postby Volfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 am

Im a little farther along than you are in treatments so I only see the oncologist once a month every other treatment. But the days I see the oncologist is a long day. Blood drawn, waiting on blood results, waiting on the doctor, seeing the doctor, scheduling my next two treatment appointments and then waiting to get in a chair. By this time the nurses have other patients. UT Knoxville cancer center is where I go and the way they do it is 6 patients in a big room with two nurses taking care of us. They have numerous rooms. So by the time I'm usually done with the doctor most of the chairs are full and I have to wait a little bit.
Days I don't see the oncologist I just have blood drawn and wait on results then I'm in a chair pretty quick. Usually it's get there at 7:30 and leave around 1.
Stage IV Rectal cancer with liver mets
Oxaliplatin, avastin, 5fu
48 yr dude

pdp497

Postby pdp497 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Volfan wrote:Im a little farther along than you are in treatments so I only see the oncologist once a month every other treatment. But the days I see the oncologist is a long day. Blood drawn, waiting on blood results, waiting on the doctor, seeing the doctor, scheduling my next two treatment appointments and then waiting to get in a chair. By this time the nurses have other patients. UT Knoxville cancer center is where I go and the way they do it is 6 patients in a big room with two nurses taking care of us. They have numerous rooms. So by the time I'm usually done with the doctor most of the chairs are full and I have to wait a little bit.
Days I don't see the oncologist I just have blood drawn and wait on results then I'm in a chair pretty quick. Usually it's get there at 7:30 and leave around 1.

I have my first appointment without have to see the onc next time around so hopefully I can be in and out more quickly next time around. im hoping as I get the schedule down it gets better. Otherwise the treatment went well side effects not too bad yet and they taught me to remove the pump myself saving me a trip to the doctor. I just hope it is working I simultaneously can't wait for the next scan and am dreading it.
Dx 7/17 stage 4 inoperable colon cancer with "numerous" mets to the liver (one large 2.6cm x 2.3 the rest 1 to 1.5 cm)
MSS
KRAS
8/4 CEA 240

Volfan

Postby Volfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:30 pm

pdp497 wrote:
Volfan wrote:Im a little farther along than you are in treatments so I only see the oncologist once a month every other treatment. But the days I see the oncologist is a long day. Blood drawn, waiting on blood results, waiting on the doctor, seeing the doctor, scheduling my next two treatment appointments and then waiting to get in a chair. By this time the nurses have other patients. UT Knoxville cancer center is where I go and the way they do it is 6 patients in a big room with two nurses taking care of us. They have numerous rooms. So by the time I'm usually done with the doctor most of the chairs are full and I have to wait a little bit.

I have my first appointment without have to see the onc next time around so hopefully I can be in and out more quickly next time around. im hoping as I get the schedule down it gets better. Otherwise the treatment went well side effects not too bad yet and they taught me to remove the pump myself saving me a trip to the doctor. I just hope it is working I simultaneously can't wait for the next scan and am dreading it.

With my appointments early I usually stay up late the night before since I try and sleep through treatment. My wife has to always wake me up when she shows up to take me home. Makes the treatment feel like it goes by quicker.

I'll be honest I feel like I'm receiving excellent care where I go but one thing I believe they could improve on is informing new patients what to expect. I'm not talking treatment but some kind of tour showing what takes place on chemo days.
My wife and I walked in that first day for treatment having no idea what was even involved in getting chemo. They could have had dancing clowns and we wouldn't have known any difference.
Stage IV Rectal cancer with liver mets
Oxaliplatin, avastin, 5fu
48 yr dude

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”