Severe colonic stricture after rectal cancer surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Klingchiro
Facebook Username: Klingchiro@gmail.com

Severe colonic stricture after rectal cancer surgery

Postby Klingchiro » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:18 am

I was diagnosed with stage to a rectal adenocarcinoma I had six weeks of chemo and radiation then a low anterior resection of my rectum and sigmoid colon. Followed by an ileostomy that I had for nine months due to slow healing of the anastomosis. I have also had a post anastomotic stricture formation in my lower: after surgery. I have had 22 balloon dilation's and a rectal stent temporarily placed I have only received temporary results as far as pain relief with these procedures constant rectal pain frequency of stools and accidents. I have dealt with this for now over a year and I'm very tired of dealing with the symptoms I am very seriously considering a permanent colostomy for better quality of life. Wearing a bag it's not that bad plus it will be a lot better than having all of this lower of Domino pain every day. So considering talking to my surgeon about a permanent colostomy soon

MissMolly

Re: Severe colonic stricture after rectal cancer surgery

Postby MissMolly » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Kling:
22 rectal dilations ! You have endured much . . . I can appreciate why you are considering a permanent colostomy for quality of life reasons.

My dear friend, Bella, wrote about her experience in making the decision to opt for a permanent colostomy on this forum. You can find her narrative archived in this blog section of this forum titled "The Columdrum of deciding on a Colostomy." It is a 3 part essay, a poignant and personal sharing of Bella's decision. A decision that she was glad that she made.

A colostomy is much, much easier to care for than a loop ileostomy (that you may have had previously in your course of treatment). A colostomy is low maintenance care.

The output with a colostomy is semi-formed. Most people with a colostomy have output 1-2 times a day, following a pattern similar to one's bowel movement pattern pre-surgery. Skin care is less problematic as colostomy output does not have the same concentration of caustic digestive enzymes as is found in ileostomy output. Pouching systems include the option of using a disposable, single-use, closed-ended ostomy pouch. After a bowel movement, simply remove the pouch, place it in a plastic bag, secure, and dispose of in the trash.

The Coloplast Mio and CyMed MicroSkin are two fairly new pouching systems that have elastic polymers embedded in the wafer. The result is a pouching system that conforms and moves with the body, discrete in profile, and comfortable.

Feel free to visit the United Ostomy Association of America support forum. Members include individuals with permanent ostomies who offer wisdoms and experiences and a healthy dose of humor to ease the transition to life with an ostomy. There is a good quality of life with an ostomy.

http://www.uoaa.org

Nameste,
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

JJH

Postby JJH » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:08 pm

MissMolly wrote:... My dear friend, Belle, wrote about her experience in making the decision to opt for a permanent colostomy on this forum. You can find her narrative archived in this blog section of this forum ...

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57535&p=453641#p453641
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 am

JJH:
Merci' and Thank You for posting the link to Bella's archived writings that chronicle her experience with making the decision for a permanent colostomy. It was Bella's sincere wish that her writings would help other people facing a similar situation. Bella wanted her writings to ease the psychological turmoil of the prospect of a permanent ostomy.

I appreciate your out-reach to post the link to Bella's writings. In providing the link, you have provided ready access to the original poster. I will admit that I am a technology novice. I appreciate your helping hand in keeping Bella's memory and working contributions on this forum alive.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Postby ocstacy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:42 pm

I am very seriously considering a permanent colostomy for better quality of life. Wearing a bag it's not that bad plus it will be a lot better than having all of this lower of Domino pain every day. So considering talking to my surgeon about a permanent colostomy soon

I am my mother's caregiver and advocate. She just ended tx on 08/16 and now experiencing more burning pain and irritation in the rectum and urination. She has tissue coming out of her rectum. I took a peak to help her and it looks like the tumor is coming out or it's hemmy's mixed. It look so sore, poor thing. The dr. mentioned that he will do a temp but may be able to do the permanent. I just hope the radiation didn't burn the sphincter muscle all the way. She always has to be near a bathroom like all the time. I took her to Target the other day and she barely made it out. I feel awful. Does anyone know when the next MRI will take place? I want to know if it shrank. I want to know why her surgery is in Dec. and not Oct?
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”