O/T...Post Your Pics Here

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
benben

Re: O/T...Post Your Pics Here

Postby benben » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 pm

July 4th, Hiked up to Colchuk Lake in The Enchantments - Washington.

----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
Granix given, Now Zarxio treatments every session.
Treatment 7 reduced to 75% OXI
Treatment 8-12 - NO OXI, just Luke and 5FU
10/20/17 CT-SCAN - CLEAR! - NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
7/18 CT-Scan - Clear, but CEA 4.6 :(

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 am

peanut, Love that pic of Fonzie. He is so cute! Growing fast. Really captured his coloring in that photo. Agree on the cannas. Never seen them in pots before. They get tall in full sun (like 5-6 ft or so), but sweet potato vine (like that for hanging baskets) goes well. I've had cannas in the ground, then ripped them out after one season. Beautiful though. Green leaved ones bright red, red leaved ones bright yellow (or the other way around), the point being the colors are so vibrant. Haven't planted moss roses in so many years, forgot all about them! Very pretty.

benben, Beautiful pic! I figured it was east of the Cascades. Never heard of the area as listed in your post, but have explored central eastern WA on way to/from Leavenworth. What surprised me was a smaller gorge exists in Washington state besides the beautiful gorge that divides Oregon/Washington. Beautiful state. Looked area up as never heard of The Enchantments & states that hike is very hard. Kudos to you!

One of these days I might post a pic of my portable container garden on 52 ft of concrete. Not particularly attractive, expensive way to garden, but easier on my back & wrists. Ya I'm crazy. If I cut down on flowers, I just grow something else. As the "saying" states:
"To garden is to believe in tomorrow"
BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07 fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:22 am

Well, here it is...my first ever eggplant to grow or eat. Never had it so I'm open to good ways to prepare. So far I've read to roast in oven w/olive oil or butter (can't remember) & garlic I think. I'm open if anyone knows a good way to prepare. Have talked to 5 people: 1 never had it, two like it, two don't. I planted it for the "art" of it. Picked it today w/razor knife & that is one tough stem to cut through, let me tell you. I had to work at it!

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:46 am

Love the mountain/lake shot bonbon. Makes me want to go on a hike, but we're in the midst of a summer scorcher, heading to 105 today.

Beautiful eggplant BS. We don't have them often, but once I sliced it the long way and grilled the slices with a little olive oil. Then added tomato sauce and parmaesan and baked until the cheese melted. Not bad.

peanut
Terri aka peanut
diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
permanent colostomy
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:01 pm

Well peanut, For the 1st time around, not wanting to mask the flavor too much, decided to fry thicker slices w/peel in Panko crumbs/egg mixture in oil, salt & pepper. Mostly tasted oil w/mild eggplant flavor. Texture good, can't say flavor was exactly pleasing, though mild as I mentioned. So used Ranch dressing as a dip like you would for fried zucchini. That helped some.

Got two more coming on the vine. May try oven roasting in olive oil & garlic for the next one. Then butter next w/a little garlic & Parmesan. If I don't care for it too much after that, I'm bringing out the big guns, peanut style, & use tomato sauce & Parmesan! :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

My sister said she heard the flavor of eggplant was an "acquired" taste for some. She's never had it either & doesn't sound like she will.

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:50 am

I'm with your sister BS, in finding that the flavor of eggplant is an acquired taste, not terribly found of the texture either. But they are a really beautiful vegetable. Such a pretty color.

So much excitement here at the 'farm'. We planted some fruit trees last fall, and are happy to report some success. Our apple tree has an apple. Whee!!

Terri aka peanut
permanent colostomy
MSS
currently NED

mobrouser

Postby mobrouser » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 pm

I haven't really cooked eggplant since my university days.
As I remember it you have to salt it and let it sit for say 30 minutes, then rinse and cook as per your recipe. The salt is supposed to take any bitter, or young fruit taste away. Those left on the vine longer have a different taste.
Eggplant is part of the tomato family, so it's kind of like putting tomato sauce on tomato. ;)

8) mob
CC Dx Oct 2017 @ age 58
Laparoscopic hemi-colectomy Dec 2017
Adenocarcinoma ascending colon – 6cm x 6cm x 2cm, Low Grade, penetrates to peritoneum
T4a N2a M0, Stage IIIC
lymph nodes 6 positive out of 18
FOLFOX started Jan 16 2018; finished Aug 2 2018 (felt like a year)
CT scan Aug 8 2018 - Clear
CEA - 01/15/18 - 2.8 07/29/18 - 5.3 Waiting for PET scan to be scheduled

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:17 am

mobrouser wrote:Eggplant is part of the tomato family, so it's kind of like putting tomato sauce on tomato. ;)

Whatever it takes, mob :!: :lol:

peanut, That looks like an Asian Pear! Are you SURE :?: :mrgreen: It's perfect though. Pretty exciting when our efforts bear fruit (pun intended :wink: :) ). Great pic :!:

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:59 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote:
In January 2018, kiwiinoz wrote:...I see my oncologist in about 1 month which will be my five year mark, and if he calls me a cancer survivor I will feel a lot better as he is super conservative.

Hi kiwiinoz

It's good to see you on-line again. Do you have any up-to-date photos of your collection of running shoes -- including those of Mrs Kiwi?? Also, I was wondering how your five-year evaluation went. I don't remember seeing any recent posts from you about this subject. Thanks.

Hi OSM

My Oncologist, after years of telling me he started the clock ticking from the last surgery, decided he liked the idea of 5 years from chemo. I am sure that next time I see him, he will extend that, but hey, I like the guy, and I now feel like a stranger in the hospital so I am good with that.

No shoe collections at the moment. I had too many pairs....a pair for running 30KM or more, a pair I really liked and couldn't get rid of, another pair for 5 KM, another pair for hills, and two pairs I didn't like, never wore, or grumped when I did, and I did a big cull. I have now got only two pairs for running, and 1 pair for the gym. Honestly, it was more Mrs Kiwi's idea as we had too many shoes.

I feel like I am now unqualified to comment much on the board. I just did stuff I liked in the vain attempt to reach NED, and I feel for everyone on this board that is currently struggling. I don't feel that my frivial comments will add much compared to the support that everyone gives each other.

How you are OSM?

Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - 27 Feb 2018
Port Out 26 March 2015

stu

Postby stu » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:12 pm

I enjoy your wee updates from NZ . It really pleases me to hear how well you are doing .
Just for what it’s worth :D
Keep on running ,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared

Shana

Postby Shana » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 pm

Loved all of the photos!

Beautiful scenery Ben and that's an impressive eggplant there BS! Beautiful flowers and one very adorable dog!

My container garden is pitiful this year, I can count the cherry tomatoes I've harvested and so far not one cucumber but it's flowering so there's still hope!

How do you post a photo on here?
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
CEA 12/17 - 38.7! 1/18 - 33! 2/18-36.5 3/18-39.8 4/18- 54 (ugh) 5/11/18 -78 :( 5/25/18-63!!!!
CT-Scan 5/18 -mixed -some progression and some shrinkage, possibly pseudo
Irinotecan increased to 200mg on 5/7/18 in response to increased CEA and it's working as of 5/25!

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:38 am

Shana, to post a pic, you need to host the photo on a site like Imgur. From Imgur, you copy the BBCode, and past it here. Voila!!

And confidentially, BS, I think you may be right, the apple is actually an asian pear. :oops: :oops: :oops: Don't know how that happened since we weren't supposed to get one of those. Should be tasty though.

Best Wishes,
peanut
Terri aka peanut
permanent colostomy
MSS
currently NED

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:50 pm

peanut_8 wrote:Shana, to post a pic, you need to host the photo on a site like Imgur. From Imgur, you copy the BBCode, and past it here. Voila!!

And confidentially, BS, I think you may be right, the apple is actually an asian pear. :oops: :oops: :oops: Don't know how that happened since we weren't supposed to get one of those. Should be tasty though.

Best Wishes,
peanut

I've seen pictures of your Daughter Sister Nut, you have what it takes to grow anything that's beautiful !

Bro Nut
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 am

Nice to hear from you again Bro Nut.

Speaking of the daughter, she used to have a dog who loved to plant potatoes. He'd take one, find the perfect spot, dig a hole, and then use his snout to tap the dirt down. It was quite a process, and has been immortalized on U-Tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyfmBUK_Aek. Sadly we lost him last year. His name was Peanut.

Best Wishes,
peanut. (the other one)
Terri aka peanut
permanent colostomy
MSS
currently NED

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:30 am

No mention of losing a pet last year peanut (your namesake) :( That is quite the video, though! The voice @ the beginning kind of reminds me of my own.

Been meaning to take & post a pic of Chloe (I groomed her a few days ago, so she's all gussied up) along w/an update of recent developments re: her degenerative arthritis. Her age is really showing & breaks my heart to watch the process. Visit to the vet, x-ray + more meds in efforts to maintain QOL for her. So far what we're doing seems to be working, but I still don't like it. Reminds me of "medding up" the elderly in the old folks home. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I guess.

So busy outside w/my expanded portable container garden this year. What did I get myself into?! Expanded the drip system to all of the containers this season. Not an exact science w/different veggies, different sized pots! Always tweaking it till I get it down pat as it's on the same zone as the flower beds. Oh, did I mention the HEAT WAVE we've been having this year? Challenging to say the least. Then there's the lawn. Still working that again & again. In fact headed out there right now...all elbows & assholes in the heat :roll: Cool season grasses don't like the heat. One problem after the other every direction I turn it seems. :roll:

Prepared another eggplant last night. Stir fry w/garlic, zucchini, onion, tomatoes, small amounts of bacon bits, sharp cheddar & parmesan. Nope, don't care for the taste that broke through all of THAT. Gave one to a friend who dipped it in flour, egg, bread crumbs & parmesan. She & DH liked it as how his DM used to prepare eggplant. They loved the eggplant itself; hated to cook it. So pretty; both were commenting it was like art! I think they're going to be getting more. :|

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”