O/T-Solar Eclipse-Updated with video link

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JudeD59

Re: O/T-Solar Eclipse

Postby JudeD59 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:36 pm

bitchslapped wrote:
JudeD59 wrote:Anyone have any special plans for the eclipse?
If anyone is interested and if things go well, I can ask CRGuy if I can post a link to the video after it's uploaded. Let me know if anyone would like to see it.

I too, am in the path of eclipse watching, however my special plans w/b watching it on TV b/c of this ARTICLE/REMINDER:

As an Optometrist , I want to express concern that I have about the solar eclipse on Monday, Aug 21. There are serious risks associated with viewing a solar eclipse directly, even with the use of solar filter glasses. Everyone should keep in mind if they or their children are considering this.

We have to keep in mind that some people will encounter the inability to control every aspect of this exercise. For instance, true solar eclipse glasses are made for adults, do not fit children well and should not be used without direct parental supervision. If the solar glasses do not filter out 100% of the harmful UV rays, if they are not used absolutely perfectly, or should there be a manufacturing defect in any of them, this will result in permanent and irreversible vision loss for any eye exposed. Just like sunburn to the skin, the effects are not felt or noticed immediately. I have a great fear that I will have patients in my office on Tuesday, Aug 22 who woke up with hazy, blurry vision that I cannot fix. It is a huge risk to watch the eclipse even with the use of solar glasses. There is no absolutely safe way to do so other than on TV.

The biggest danger with children is ensuring proper use without direct parental supervision. As the eclipse passes over many places, including Columbus, the moon will not block 100% of the sun. Because so much of its light is blocked by the moon, if one looks at it without full protection, it does not cause pain as looking at the sun does on a regular day. Normally if you try to look at the sun, it physically hurts and you can't see anything. During an eclipse, however, it is easier to stare for a bit....and even less than 30 seconds of exposure to a partially eclipsed sun, you can burn a blind spot right to your most precious central vision. With solar glasses you can't see ANYTHING except the crescent of light of the sun. Kids could have a tendency to want to peak around the filter to see what is actually going on up there. One failure, just one, where education and supervision fail, will have such a devastating consequence.

Please, please be safe. Watch it on television.

I am very interested in the video as well. Congrats to your daughter & business partner...and to you on your daughter's success, Proud Mamma!

peanut_8 wrote:I suspect if we twist CRGuy's arm he might agree. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Easy Peasy, Peanut. Considering all that Kung Fu stuff he's been into over the years, his arms have been plenty twisted. Did I say that?! :shock:
(You wait, people. I'm going to get corrected that it is NOT Kung Fu :roll: :mrgreen: )

Just BS'n around! :D :lol:

My daughter was telling me that very few places sell the glasses that have all the requirements needed to protect your eyes. I asked, "Are you telling me that there are people selling glasses that they know could damage thousands of people's eyesight just to make an easy buck?" and she said yes. That sickens me. She got us pairs that have the official seal of approval, but I still plan to watch on livestreams and tv. Just too much risk to look at it directly from where I'm at because it's not totality, only about 85%.

Be careful, everyone and protect your eyesight.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Due to my upcoming colposcopy on Aug 22, I'll be spending a good portion of Monday with my Gatorade and Miralax cocktail. :roll: :roll:

Probably won't make much of a difference since we've been socked in by the marine layer the last several weeks.

So, really looking forward to the super cool video from Judy's rocket scientist daughter. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(just a tiny bit jealous)
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:34 pm

bitchslapped wrote:Easy Peasy, Peanut. Considering all that Kung Fu stuff he's been into over the years, his arms have been plenty twisted. Did I say that?! :shock:
(You wait, people. I'm going to get corrected that it is NOT Kung Fu :roll: :mrgreen: )

Just BS'n around! :D :lol:

as requested / expected / anticipated / dreaded ???? :?

Ahhh Grasshopper you still have much to learn ...
Kung Fu was ONLY Kung Fu Panda when I posted my blackeyed pix and head wrapped :shock:

KARATE is what CR does
not Sifu / Sigong

CR is karate sensei ... Hai !
:mrgreen:

AND the eye protection thing ... DON'T get me started :twisted: on the phony filter glasses :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

SAFEST is always on a video screen .. BUTT there are live view options which are safe
Just don't go to the dollar store or order online from a "commerce" site
Use a website from a reputable supplier, as the eclipse has generated a lotta buzz and some "science geek" sites
( =ME science geek ! ) can give you legit info

IF you pick up on eBay for 99 cents = say goodbye to your retina

FYI... I always watch on screens ... BUTT if you want the same "experience", take a mobile device outside to view the eclipse on screen and you are still in the "happening" when things go dark around you
= best of both worlds
check out the NASA feed https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

cheers homies
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:38 am

Here are a couple of other cool websites my darling daughter shared with me with information on the path, timing, etc. You can click on where you live on the map and it will tell you when the eclipse will be happening in your area.

Animations
https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/Gallery/suneclipse2017.html

Prediction map:
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/defa ... index.html

Judy
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

juliej

Postby juliej » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 pm

JudeD59 wrote:If anyone is interested and if things go well, I can ask CRGuy if I can post a link to the video after it's uploaded. Let me know if anyone would like to see it.

Hooray for geeky science girls! (I'm one of them!)

I'd love to see the video! How are they tracking where the balloon will land???

The Smithsonian has a great eclipse app. It's available for both iOS and Android platforms.

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/solar-eclipse

http://smithsonian-eclipse-app.simulationcurriculum.com/download.html
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

NedPlease

Postby NedPlease » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Judy,

First off... a rocket scientist daughter! Yay for that and good job, mom! Some credit is surely due.

Can't wait to see that video!

Doc BS,
Thanks for the warning. I'll not be taking any chances especially given a detached retina experience last Sept-what a scary and strange surgery and recovery process.

N
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:57 pm

juliej wrote:
JudeD59 wrote:If anyone is interested and if things go well, I can ask CRGuy if I can post a link to the video after it's uploaded. Let me know if anyone would like to see it.

Hooray for geeky science girls! (I'm one of them!)

I'd love to see the video! How are they tracking where the balloon will land???

The Smithsonian has a great eclipse app. It's available for both iOS and Android platforms.

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/solar-eclipse

http://smithsonian-eclipse-app.simulationcurriculum.com/download.html

Part of their payload includes a tracking device. And they've calculated all it's likely paths and landing spots. They also have stickers on all the parts with their info in case someone else finds it before they get to it. It's all really fascinating for a non-science person like me (I was a literature/creative writing geek instead). They have insulation to keep certain parts warm enough and fans to keep other parts cool enough. They have a parachute system to let it fall gently back to earth. I got to help her by cutting out cardboard circles and making slots into them so they can fit together into a sphere that will be covered in shiny tin foil as a reflector for planes to spot.

They've been working on it for so long and so diligently. I just hope it all goes as planned. I'm as nervous as if I was expecting my first grandchild! :oops:

Judy
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:35 pm

So, as promised, here is a link to my daughter's video. They shot it at The Homestead in Nebraska and there was heavy cloud cover at that location. They had hoped to track the moon's shadow on earth as it passed in front of the sun, but the balloon went to 40,000 ft. which was above the clouds, so you can't see Earth. What you can see, which I think is amazing, is the moon's shadow passing over the clouds as the eclipse reached totality. The video was shot with a 360 degree camera, which means that if you watch it on a computer that doesn't support 360, the perspective is a little off. It's still worth watching that way, but if you can watch it on your phone or iPad or a VR, it's so much better. Or on a computer with Chrome or Firefox or Internet Explorer. Safari doesn't support 360 so it's just a flat picture. With the others, you can pan around and see all around you, above you, below you, etc.

If you have any questions after watching, just ask and if I don't know the answer, I'll find out from Jackie. Thanks for your support and I hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_bsT-TyiRg&t=15s

Judy
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

juliej

Re: O/T-Solar Eclipse-Updated with video link

Postby juliej » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 pm

WOW!!! I panned around and could see 360 degrees. The enormous curving shadow of the moon moving towards the earth and blotting out the clouds was an eerie and ethereal sight -- especially in full screen on my monitor. I panned up and saw the actual weather balloon and then the sun in totality. It was beautiful when the horizon starting lighting back up. Someone added nice music to fit the scene too!

Questions:

Did their tracking device show GPS coordinates? Was the balloon designed to pop when it reached a certain altitude? Or a certain length of time? Was the balloon where they thought it would be? Did it land on public or private property? Was it hard to remove from the tree?

What a great video! Thanks for sharing!

Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:59 pm

juliej wrote:WOW!!! I panned around and could see 360 degrees. The enormous curving shadow of the moon moving towards the earth and blotting out the clouds was an eerie and ethereal sight -- especially in full screen on my monitor. I panned up and saw the actual weather balloon and then the sun in totality. It was beautiful when the horizon starting lighting back up. Someone added nice music to fit the scene too!

Questions:

Did their tracking device show GPS coordinates? Was the balloon designed to pop when it reached a certain altitude? Or a certain length of time? Was the balloon where they thought it would be? Did it land on public or private property? Was it hard to remove from the tree?

Juliej

Thanks, Julie! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I don't have answers to your questions yet because Jacklyn is still on the road. She won't be home until tomorrow, so even I haven't heard the story yet. She was editing the video in the truck as they drove so she could get it up asap. Once she is home and has taken a nice long nap, I'll get the details from her and come back to post them. I know she also plans to have follow-up videos about the launch and teaching others how to launch their own high altitude weather balloon. I saw that PBS commented on her video and tweeted the link to it. I thought that was so nice of them. She has spoken on panels for them before.

Thanks!
Judy
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

Cj51

Postby Cj51 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:26 pm

WOW!!!!! What a sight! Thanks so much for sharing it.
DX Stage IIIb RC, T3N1M0, April 2010, 51
6 wks Xelox/rad 6/10
resection, temp illeostomy 8/10 Complete response!
12 rounds FOLFOX for clean up 9/10, Allergic to Oxi, started Xeloda only 12/10
Ileo takedown 9/28/11
4/2020 NED

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:53 pm

juliej wrote:WOW!!! I panned around and could see 360 degrees. The enormous curving shadow of the moon moving towards the earth and blotting out the clouds was an eerie and ethereal sight -- especially in full screen on my monitor. I panned up and saw the actual weather balloon and then the sun in totality. It was beautiful when the horizon starting lighting back up. Someone added nice music to fit the scene too!

Questions:

Juliej

Hey, Julie! I hope this answers your questions. I know that, yes, the balloon was designed to pop at 80,000 feet and it did. Because their first larger balloon was hit by a gust of wind and carried away just as they were preparing to attach the payload, they had to quickly blow up a smaller balloon which couldn't handle the larger payload. So the GoPros and the elaborate rig they had built with a 3D printer had to be left off with only the 360 degree camera going up. Because they had to quickly set up the new balloon, they launched slightly later than they wanted to and didn't rise above the clouds to the height they wanted by totality. Also because they needed to keep the weight on the smaller balloon limited, they had to take out the spare battery, so they didn't get to record for as long as they would have liked to. The balloon came down on a farmer's land, then was picked up by another gust of wind and carried another 100 feet or so and into a tree. They tracked it (and could tell that someone else was also tracking it so had to hurry to get there first!) and knocked on the farmer's door to request permission to retrieve it. He was very nice and after chatting with them about their project, directed them to the tree holding the balloon.

The team consisted of three members, my daughter, her boyfriend/business partner, and another engineer friend. The three of them met while mentoring a high school robotics team in Maryland. They said the people at Homestead were phenomenal and very helpful. They also loved spending the weekend with other science lovers and made lots of new friends.

This is part of their press release and might answer your questions about the tracking system-

"The team built two 360 degree camera rigs. One camera rig was constructed from custom 3D printed parts and six GoPro Hero5 Sessions. At lower altitudes, the cameras were cooled by fans and heat sinks. The batteries were kept warm at high altitudes by mylar and hand warmers. The second camera rig was a Garmin VIRB 360.

The launch site was Homestead National Monument in Beatrice, Nebraska. On launch day, they filled their 3000 gram balloon until it was about 10 feet in diameter. Minutes before launch, a large gust of wind pulled the balloon free of the fill station and into the cloudy sky without a payload attached. The team went into emergency mode and cut the GoPro rig from the payload train, because it was the heaviest. They used a backup 800 gram balloon and filled it with the remaining helium. The smaller balloon launched half an hour late with just the tracking system and the Garmin VIRB 360 camera.

The camera captured totality around 40,000 feet instead of the nominal 60,000 feet. The balloon burst around 82,000 feet. The payload landed in a field about 35 miles away from the launch site. The tracking system included a SPOT tracker and separate APRS transmitter. The SPOT and APRS transmitted the payload’s GPS location. While the team was on their way to recover the payload, its position changed. A gust of wind caught the parachute and the payload began a second flight up into a tree across the road from the original landing location."

There is a lesson in all this. They spent almost a year designing this, building, testing, and refining it. On the day, everything they had designed was up and running perfectly. Every possible malfunction had been planned for and steps taken to prevent from happening. And then a giant gust of wind hit in the precise moment they had unattached it from the fill station to do a weight test. My daughter was turning on the cameras and fans while another member of the team was doing the weight test and he just lost his grip and the balloon got away. A team from NASA was launching right next to them and their balloon escaped at the same time. My daughter was able to get a second balloon off and capture a great video. Not the video they had planned for, but a great video. The NASA team launched a second balloon and it only rose 1000 feet and then crashed so they were unable to get any footage. As everyone on this board knows well, you can plan your life step by step and then get knocked on your backside by something you never saw coming.

The good news is they know that the rig they built and all their payload works as designed, so they will be using it to capture some other interesting videos in the future. Since their main focus is STEM outreach, their channel is designed to give viewers step by step instruction to build their own engineering and science projects by showing them hands-on examples. And based on the comments they get, it's working. People have told them they never understood certain concepts until they saw their videos and teachers have used their videos to run labs in their classrooms, so that's pretty amazing.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. And thank you for taking such an interest. :)

Judy
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15