Introduction

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Introduction

Postby Robino1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:38 am

Hello

I've been lurking for a few months and decided to create an account to answer a question. So here is my introduction.

I was diagnosed with colon cancer on my very first colonoscopy at age 53. Surgery to remove the right ascending and resection done. All margins were clear, no chemo prescribed. Got a twofer out of the deal. Appendix is gone, never have to worry about having an appendix attack :D

It wasn't a mass, just a largish area that was a different color.

So I do the routine blood every xx months, next colonoscopy all clear etc. A couple of years doing this and I get lax. Never entered my thinking that anything would present itself and I assumed that I was cancer free for life. We get busy with life and had our new house built so I skipped out on my blood checks.

Now it's three years later, I'm 56

So Mother's Day

That weekend I fly north and the first night extreme pain in my abdomen. Distended belly. I'm think probable blockage...
get home on Mother's Day and pain still comes every so often. Hubby says ER! Ok, off we go.

CT scan shows seeding in my omentum and caking on my liver. Shit! They say the 'C' word. Again.

They want to keep me and do a laparoscopic diagnosis. I refuse and say I want my surgeon to do it. They release me after calling my surgeon. He's not affiliated with the hospital I went to the ER.

Diagnosis confirmed. Cancer on the omentum causing fluid to buil in my abdomen. Ascites. New words for me. :(
Stage 4
Not operable, chemo required.

I looked like I was 5-6 months pregnant.

Oncologist selected, port placed, PET scan done.
First CEA 217
Second CEA just before first chemo 219

The ascites causes major pressure on all organs. Can't fill up the tummy with food. I always feel full and uncomfortable. Walking puts almost unbearable pressure on my ovaries and other organs.
I ask the oncologist just before my 1st chemo (I like her and she took the time to answer all my questions I had written) when will the ascites start to go away? The Avastin will help with that and it should start workin after the first or second dose. I have to wait until the second chemo round before getting the Avastin since it is a blood thinner and I was still recovering from the surgery. She said she could drain it butt I decided against that and wait it out. I was tired of being poked.

Second chemo: Avastin introduced to the mix. Yes! It worked! Belly is now normal. It took about 4 days after its introduction butt it worked.

I've now had 4 rounds and the last CEA 202. I had wished it was a lot lower butt there is a downward drop so I guess that's good...

Next PET scan scheduled for the 29th. I'm scared butt hopeful.

Fighting with the ins company on getting the markers. The one thing I do know, it's not genetic. That's good news. It's not something that I passed to my kids.

Theory is that when the section of colon was removed, some cells leaked out into my abdomen. Hence the seeding. Unusual and unlucky.

Nice 8)

I have the usual side effects: cold sensitivity in the hands and drinking cold things. First bite that happens each damn time I go to eat if I've let a couple of hours go between eating. 5FU has its own little side effect that I call nasty mouth syndrome. Asked my onc about it and she prescribed Magic Mouthwash. Works like a charm. Takes about 4 days and all is well in my mouth again.

I've already had to have the Oxi reduced. Third round created a bit of a scare. Left wrist went numb and while I was saying something to the nurse, my tongue didn't want to work right. Blood pressure checked 191/86. Checked for any stroke symptoms. Smile symmetrical, made sure I had the same strength on each side. It went away after about 15 minutes. Scary though.

4th round: no scary shit happened: :)

This 5th round coming up will be just before an already planned trip. Going north for oldest grandchilds hischool graduation party. So blood wrk will be taken, Avastin and one push of 5FU, no pump this time. No Oxi so I don't have side effects for the time I'm gone. 10 days of relative normalness (is that even a word?) ;)

Long term... like the onc says, let's just get me into remission and we can talk about getting me somewhere that will possibly get this out of me. She did say it won't be around here. Good, I want someone that specializes in where this cancer is in my body.

So that's me in a nutshell.

I'm an optimistic, positive person. After the first initial emotional breakdown, I'm in for the fight. I will beat this again.

Lesson to all, do not let your guard down. Keep getting your blood work done or whatever the docs say to do. I f'd up and am now fighting harder than I had to.

I thought I had it licked. I didn't.
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

Shana

Re: Introduction

Postby Shana » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Robino1 wrote:Hello

I've been lurking for a few months and decided to create an account to answer a question. So here is my introduction.

I was diagnosed with colon cancer on my very first colonoscopy at age 53. Surgery to remove the right ascending and resection done. All margins were clear, no chemo prescribed. Got a twofer out of the deal. Appendix is gone, never have to worry about having an appendix attack :D

So I do the routine blood every xx months, next colonoscopy all clear etc. A couple of years doing this and I get lax. Never entered my thinking that anything would present itself and I assumed that I was cancer free for life. We get busy with life and had our new house built so I skipped out on my blood checks.

So Mother's Day

That weekend I fly north and the first night extreme pain in my abdomen. Distended belly. I'm think probable blockage...
get home on Mother's Day and pain still comes every so often. Hubby says ER! Ok, off we go.

CT scan shows seeding in my omentum and caking on my liver. Shit! They say the 'C' word. Again.

They want to keep me and do a laparoscopic diagnosis. I refuse and say I want my surgeon to do it. They release me after calling my surgeon. He's not affiliated with the hospital I went to the ER.

Diagnosis confirmed. Cancer on the omentum causing fluid to buil in my abdomen. Ascites. New words for me. :(
Stage 4

First CEA 217

The ascites causes major pressure on all organs. Can't fill up the tummy with food. I always feel full and uncomfortable. Walking puts almost unbearable pressure on my ovaries and other organs.
I ask the oncologist just before my 1st chemo (I like her and she took the time to answer all my questions I had written) when will the ascites start to go away? The Avastin will help with that and it should start workin after the first or second dose. I have to wait until the second chemo round before getting the Avastin since it is a blood thinner and I was still recovering from the surgery. She said she could drain it butt I decided against that and wait it out. I was tired of being poked.

Second chemo: Avastin introduced to the mix. Yes! It worked! Belly is now normal. It took about 4 days after its introduction butt it worked.

I've now had 4 rounds and the last CEA 202. I had wished it was a lot lower butt there is a downward drop so I guess that's good...

Fighting with the ins company on getting the markers. The one thing I do know, it's not genetic. That's good news. It's not something that I passed to my kids.

Theory is that when the section of colon was removed, some cells leaked out into my abdomen. Hence the seeding. Unusual and unlucky.

Nice 8)

I have the usual side effects: cold sensitivity in the hands and drinking cold things. First bite that happens each damn time I go to eat if I've let a couple of hours go between eating. 5FU has its own little side effect that I call nasty mouth syndrome. Asked my onc about it and she prescribed Magic Mouthwash. Works like a charm. Takes about 4 days and all is well in my mouth again.

I've already had to have the Oxi reduced. Third round created a bit of a scare. Left wrist went numb and while I was saying something to the nurse, my tongue didn't want to work right. Blood pressure checked 191/86. Checked for any stroke symptoms. Smile symmetrical, made sure I had the same strength on each side. It went away after about 15 minutes. Scary though.

This 5th round coming up will be just before an already planned trip. Going north for oldest grandchilds hischool graduation party. So blood wrk will be taken, Avastin and one push of 5FU, no pump this time. No Oxi so I don't have side effects for the time I'm gone. 10 days of relative normalness (is that even a word?) ;)

Long term... like the onc says, let's just get me into remission and we can talk about getting me somewhere that will possibly get this out of me. She did say it won't be around here. Good, I want someone that specializes in where this cancer is in my body.

I'm an optimistic, positive person. After the first initial emotional breakdown, I'm in for the fight. I will beat this again.

Lesson to all, do not let your guard down. Keep getting your blood work done or whatever the docs say to do. I f'd up and am now fighting harder than I had to.

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the club, I am relatively new here and have received some excellent tips and advice from members who have been dealing with this for longer than I have. Good luck with your treatment, the side effects suck but if you can manage them with supportive medication then the chemo results can be really effective.

Take care,
Shana
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
Irinotecan and Erbitux ran it's course. CEA rising
Primary tumor invaded tail of pancreas and spleen. Liver mets major concern
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

Robino1

Postby Robino1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:22 am

Thank you for the welcome.

I actually have learned a lot of tips just by reading this forum. I found it right after my diagnosis.
I had never heard the term omentum or ascites. Google brought me here.

There's not really much information, that I can find, regarding colon cancer on the omentum. There is a tiny bit here.

All I can do is one step at a time. I keep reading and learning.

Anyway, thanks for acknowledging my existence on the forum. I do appreciate that. :)
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

Beckster

Postby Beckster » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:35 am

Robino1 wrote:Hello

So Mother's Day

Stage 4

First CEA 217

Nice 8)

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story. I too had a right colectomy and just started surveillance. I just finished 6 months of Xeloda for stage IIA with the hopes of no recurrence. However, after reading your story, it confirms the importance of staying vigilant with my blood work and scans. I have researched multiple scientific articles about recurrence rates in stage II and since we are a "grey" area, your story helped me confirm going on chemo.

Best of luck...hoping they nip it in the bud!

Beckster
57/F
DX:(CC) 10/19/16
11/4/16- Lap right hemi(cecum)
CEA- Pre Op (1.9), Pre Chemo (2.5)
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size:3.5 cm x 2.5 x 0.7 cm
Grade: G3
TNM: T3N0M0/IIA
LN: 0/24
LVI present
Surgical margins: clear
MSS
12/27/2016 - Capeox, anaphylactic
1/2/17 to 6/9/17- Xeloda
6/17,12/17,6/18,12/18,6/19,12/19,12/20,12/21 CT Scan NED :D
CEA- 6/17- 3.6, 9/17- 2.8 12/17-2.8, 3/18-3.1, 6/18-3.0, 9/18 2.8, 12/18 2.5 3/19 3.1 6/19 3.1 9/19 2.6 12/19 2.8 6/20 3.0 12/20 2.7 6/21 2.9,[color=#000000]12/21 2.7[/color]
Clear Colonoscopy 10/17, 11/19,11/21 :D

Robino1

Postby Robino1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:45 am

Beckster wrote:
Welcome and thank you for sharing your story. I too had a right colectomy and just started surveillance. I just finished 6 months of Xeloda for stage IIA with the hopes of no recurrence. However, after reading your story, it confirms the importance of staying vigilant with my blood work and scans. I have researched multiple scientific articles about recurrence rates in stage II and since we are a "grey" area, your story helped me confirm going on chemo.

Best of luck...hoping they nip it in the bud!

Beckster

I really don't feel like I nipped it in the bud. :(
In hindsight, I wished I had insisted on doing chemo. I can't dwell on that though. I have to concentrate on today and getting through this then working on the next stage of the process, whatever that will be.

I just want to live long enough to see all 6 of my grandkids graduate high school. The youngest is not yet 2. I got a lot of living left to do. :)

I truly hope that the mop up chemo makes a difference for you.
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
BRAF V600e

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:51 am

I'm so sorry to hear your story. My surgeon told me after radiation and chemo that I may not need chemotherapy after surgery since all that was left was scar tissue. At my post up visit he told me I needed chemo. Even tho no lymph nodes were affected and margins were clear the pathology report showed dormant cancer cells. I was very disappointed but my oncologist explained there is no guarantees cells didn't get into my bloodstream, so I went ahead with the chemo. Now I realize it prob was the best decision after reading your story. I always questioned if it was necessary. Thank you for sharing as I'm sure your story will help many in the future.

Susan
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm so sorry for what you have gone through and are still going through. It sucks that evil cancer snuck back up on you. I'm glad you found us, but sorry you need to be here in the first place.

It's hard to find positives when you are going through the treatments for cancer, but I may have one for you--you can tolerate the chemo that is decimating those cancer cells. I wasn't able to and was only allowed one mop up infusion before they said no more. You also have a great attitude and seem to be dealing very effectively with the side effects as they appear.

Here's hoping you sneak back up on the cancer and give it the ass-kicking it deserves.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

Robino1

Postby Robino1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Thank you!

If...no, make that WHEN I get this cancer kicked, I will be super vigilant in all the follow up stuff that will need to be monitored.
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
BRAF V600e

Lovenothate
Facebook Username: Emily.guzman

Postby Lovenothate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:19 am

Hey there and welcome!

My moms in a similar boat with the ascites being the key to diagnosis... but it was more of a malpractice situation with months of going misdiagnosed... :(

She just started her new regime of folfiri for those darn omentum mets! Good thing is there is a lot of medical advances and I'm sure you're both gonna be able to reach NED very soon!

I wish you luck and ease on this new journey!

Em
daughter to DM dx Stage IV CRC @47 July 2016
total hysterectomy b/c ovarian mets abscites 6/16
Colostomy
Folfox 7/16
Lung spots 2mm each 9/16
Xeloda & Avastin 1/17
Shrinkage to lungs spots! 4/17
Break from Avastin/ Xeloda continued 7/17
Omentum mets/ lungs mets stable(possibly not malignant)
Folfiri 8/17
1 lung spot all along-clear abdomen scans chemo break until 4/4/17

Robino1

Postby Robino1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 am

It's hard finding info on colon cancer on the omentum. The Avastin really helped with the ascites. I just pray that it continues to keep it at bay. Anytime I feel a fullness in my belly, I worry that it is coming back.

I wish your mom NED soon!
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
BRAF V600e

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story! I'm sorry you're going through this!*hugs8 I'm glad the avastin got rid of the ascites! Enjoy your oldest grandchild's high school graduation party! :)
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”