Strange pain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AussieAssCancer

Strange pain

Postby AussieAssCancer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:41 am

Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted/was online.

Things are generally pretty awesome in terms of BM's, now 6mths post reversal. Still deal with clustering but only really bad once a month or so. No dramas at work which is a huge relief.

Recently I have been experiencing localized pain in my lower groin. It only hurts when pressure is applied to it, generally when my daughter climbs on me and presses it, although I became aware of it today at work when I was sitting in a particular way. The only other time I've noticed it is when going from lying in bed/on the couch and standing up. Ie - it is not constant. I have NEVER felt it while walking etc or normal day to day stuff.

I'm wondering whether it could be (a) an inguinal hernia; (b) adhesion; (c) stricture; (d) scar tissue? My anxiety tells me it is a recurrence but my rational mind tells me that is the most unlikely, particularly in light of the fact that it only hurts when pressure is applied (not constant(.

I have my 6mthly scans/bloods next week and presume that any of the above issues would show up.

My question is, has anyone experienced similar type pain from any of my options?

I did walk a STUPID amount of km in June (515km or 18km per day) to raise money for Bowel Cancer Australia (1km for every hour of chemo I had) and I don't recall the pain before that so I wonder whether that was sufficient to give me a hernia???

Anyways, I'll ask my oncologist of course when I see him next week and he gives me the physical but no doubt whatever it is will show up on the can in any event?

Big colon love to you all,

GK
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

JJH

Re: Strange pain

Postby JJH » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:07 am

AussieAssCancer wrote:...I'm wondering whether it could be (a) an inguinal hernia; (b) adhesion; (c) stricture; (d) scar tissue?

I had an inguinal hernia after chemo/radiation, and my surgeon said that it was probably precipitated by the weakened muscles and tissue due to the radiation. Also, my LAR open surgery generated a number of adhesions in my abdomen, and I suspect that these are the source of the occasional twinges of pain that I have.
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi GK,

I'm linking a thread with info you may find useful. Especially the replies from Miss Molly regarding radiation damage.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58557

Best Wishes,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 pm

AussieAssCancer wrote:Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted/was online.

Things are generally pretty awesome in terms of BM's, now 6mths post reversal. Still deal with clustering but only really bad once a month or so. No dramas at work which is a huge relief.

Recently I have been experiencing localized pain in my lower groin. It only hurts when pressure is applied to it, generally when my daughter climbs on me and presses it, although I became aware of it today at work when I was sitting in a particular way. The only other time I've noticed it is when going from lying in bed/on the couch and standing up. Ie - it is not constant. I have NEVER felt it while walking etc or normal day to day stuff.

I'm wondering whether it could be (a) an inguinal hernia; (b) adhesion; (c) stricture; (d) scar tissue? My anxiety tells me it is a recurrence but my rational mind tells me that is the most unlikely, particularly in light of the fact that it only hurts when pressure is applied (not constant(.

I have my 6mthly scans/bloods next week and presume that any of the above issues would show up.

My question is, has anyone experienced similar type pain from any of my options?

I did walk a STUPID amount of km in June (515km or 18km per day) to raise money for Bowel Cancer Australia (1km for every hour of chemo I had) and I don't recall the pain before that so I wonder whether that was sufficient to give me a hernia???

Anyways, I'll ask my oncologist of course when I see him next week and he gives me the physical but no doubt whatever it is will show up on the can in any event?

Big colon love to you all,

GK

Good to see you around.

Im not far behind you reversal and I'm very similar as enjoying work without the bad bm's. Good too see you out enjoying yourself.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

AussieAssCancer

Postby AussieAssCancer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:45 am

Thanks JJH and Peanut. Hopefully it's related to previous treatment or a hernia.

Good to see you're doing well, Swirdfish! Keep up the good work
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”