Impact on function of the colon

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpbser

Impact on function of the colon

Postby mpbser » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 am

With husband's sub-total colectomy coming up quickly, I started wondering how this resection is going impact his health.

The colon's function is to absorb water, sodium, potassium, and vitamin K as well as some calcium and magnesium. It also works with the small intestine to provide a microbiome that supplies the body with neuropeptides, other neuroptransmitters (the "other brain" is the gut), and other immunological compounds through the connected lympathics.

Apparently, the further away from the ileum, the lower the ability of the colon to perform its nutrient absorption function. He will be retaining his rectum, but practically all the rest of the colon is going to be removed.

I can't find much, although I have only done a cursory review, information on the long term effects this is going to have and how to ameliorate them, if possible. Any ideas? Thanks!
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

mpbser

Re: Impact on function of the colon

Postby mpbser » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:51 am

oops...I tried to edit the subject of my post but ended up just quoting myself.

Anyway, I just read a story about a woman's experience with a colectomy (http://www.experienceproject.com/storie ... tis/273942) and it has me concerned! Here is the most worrisome part of her story:

First of all my thyroid shut down, I had to have my gall bladder removed and have had several problems with kidney stones. I started having hives and shingles right after the colon surgery so within a year or so they started testing me for food allergies and since I found out that I have over 90 some allergies to foods, drugs, household, and environmental. They call it Anaphylaxis.

As well I have asked the allergy doctor if it could have been a possibility that I was allergic all of my life to these things and since I continued to eat them anyway that it diseased my insides and he said yes that is a possibility especially since now my bladder has become diseased with the same sort of disease called Interstitial Cystitis.This condition is definitely caused from allergies.

...I am still a slave to the bathroom and I dehydrate very easily. But other than that, I am tired a lot because I need to find some sort of vitamin's that will stay in my system,also I have immune system problems that is affecting skin discoloration.

Why didn't my husband's doctor talk at all about the effects this surgery can have????
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

cbsmith

Postby cbsmith » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:16 am

I have had a total colectomy and permanent ileostomy for over 3 years now. I have had no issues with mineral or vitamin balances at all since I have had the colon removed. If he proceeds with chemo after the surgery he will have his blood monitored every two weeks and any issues with minerals, vitamins, etc will be brought to your attention to correct.

Is your husband having his entire colon removed this time?
06/14-DX with FAP as 36yo Male
07/14-total colectomy, rectum removal, permanent ileostomy
08/14-DX Stage IIIC, KRAS mutant, MSS
09/14-04/15 - 12 rounds of FOLFOX
07/15-CT showed para-aortic lymph node, onc thght inflammation
10/15-DX Stage IV, CT lymph node tripled in size, 1 small lung met
11/15-FOLFIRI + Avastin
06/16-lymph node is stable, now have a 2nd lung met
01/16-lymph node is stable, lung mets grown 2mm. Still on FOLFIRI + Avastin
11/17 - no chemo since. Lung growth minimal, lymph node is stable

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Mpstr:
Why are you focusing on one woman's narrative without a colon as predictive of your husband's life trajectory?

Personally, I have been without a large intestine for 6 years and have suffered no ill effects by its departure.

I see no direct correlation to the woman's narrative that you cite and the loss of her colon. Her various food allergies and immune deficiencies may or may not be related to her colon resection.
The point being: One woman's narrative is not sufficient to prove a cause and effect relationship.

The large intestine functions mainly as a storage site for digested food material as it makes it way for exiting the body. Absobrion of water and providing a bacterial biocosim are the principle functional roles of the colon.

People with Chron's disease and ulcerative colitis are candidates for complete colon resections. And the majority of them are by far happier and healthier without their inflamed and diseased colons.

For all of the health challenges that I have faced, the resection of my colon has not caused me any additional health problems.

In the early months post resection, dehydration was an issue. I encourage you to consider CeraLyte electrolyte packets. CeraLyte offers rehydrating solutions specific for those with ileostomies. The CeraLyte home web-page provides in depth information about their electrolyte replacements.

Vitamin B 12 supplementation is necessary for anyone who has loss of the distal ileum. I take a sublingual B 12 supplement.

I would not worry excessively about the possible upcoming loss of your husband's large intestine. You can "talk" to people who are living full and engaging lives without colons on the UOAA support forum. Even if your husband has an ileoanal anastamoais, you can "talk" to other people who have had complete resection of their large intestine by visiting the UOAA support forum. UOAA = United Ostomy Association of America.

http://www.uoaa.org

I do not miss my colon at all.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:14 pm

thanks for the info, karen

Yes, cbsmith, he is having a sub-total colectomy with the ileum connecting to the rectum (above the anal verge) so not a "ileoanal anastamosis" on August 21st.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

JJH

Postby JJH » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 am

If you want to see a list of risk factors for a colectomy surgery you can do a Google search for INFORMED CONSENT COLECTOMY and read some of the Informed Consent documents published by various hospitals. Some of these documents give comprehensive lists of risks and possible complications of such surgeries.
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks, JJH! I didn't think of that. Great idea!
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild