Guess a new side effect has shown up

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Volfan

Re: Guess a new side effect has shown up

Postby Volfan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:24 pm

juliej wrote:
Volfan wrote:Yesterday I got my 9th treatment. After I was done I stood up and almost fell over due to my calf muscles being so tight. After a little walking they improved some. Then when I got in bed and tried to sleep (good luck with that with the steroids) I could feel my legs muscles twitching all night. Now this morning right calf muscle is tight if I sit for awhile.
Is this something y'all have experienced?

I had the same thing! Calf muscles so tight I staggered around like Frankenstein! :shock: It's definitely the oxaliplatin that's causing it. Not a lot you can do, but try increasing your hydration, especially consuming a drink with electrolytes - not just plain water. Gatorade or any sports drink with electrolytes should work. I used Nuun tablets and dissolved one in a bottle of water.

Also, I can empathize with the steroid buzz! They kept me up all night too until the onc nurse suggested taking an Ativan before bedtime. That seemed to work pretty well. I could finally get some sleep and it also helped with morning nausea so two for one! :D See if you can get a prescription from your onc.

Hope this helps!
Juliej

I added some Gatorade this week and it has really seemed to help with my overall feeling better.
Appreciate that tip.
Stage IV Rectal cancer with liver mets
Oxaliplatin, avastin, 5fu
48 yr dude

TXLiz

Re: Guess a new side effect has shown up

Postby TXLiz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:39 pm

I had that also. My hands would also contract and curl oddly sometimes. Super odd feeling. Keep on keeping on my friend.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"