Neuropathy and effect of chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mozart13

Neuropathy and effect of chemo?

Postby mozart13 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:31 pm

This is shooting in the dark, is there any study out there that compares the therapeutic effectivness of chemo and earlly vs late onset of chemo in therm of neuropathy?

Meaning does it make difference in people that get neuropathy in begining of cyclcles of chemo vs midlle of cycles in terms of survival, distant methastasis, etc., or its just matter of dossage and sensivitivity?

I couldnt find any related study, but would be interesting to know.
Any input is wellcome!
Thx!
55 year at the time of diagnosis, male
Diagnosed with T1,T2 N0 M0 rectal cancer
Total neoadjuvant therapy or TNT (chemoradiation followed by systemic chemotherapy)
Negative since Feb. '17
No surgery
Watch&Wait approach 8)
I don’t come much to the forum , so if this is not updated it means I remain negative!
Wish good luck to all!

NoFear32

Re: Neuropathy and effect of chemo?

Postby NoFear32 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:17 pm

I'm not aware of any studies, but I was immediately sensitive to the FOLFOX regime of drugs that was administered in round 1 (cold sensitivity in mouth and hands, nausea, etc). I also had very bad reaction to the 5FU in these drugs, so I was switched to XELODA (oral chemo +infusion), but would still have cold sensitivity issues, etc. I am now 2+ years out from my last round of chemo and I have almost zero side effects left. The fatigue will still catch up with me sometimes and I still don't like touching cool things, but it's all things that I can handle now whereas before I couldn't. Hope that helps with your question? :)
32 yo,Wife & Mom, ages 9 & 3
4/17/15: Colonoscopy = 6cm in sigmoid + 6 polyps
4/24/15: Colectomy (no illeo)
4/27/15: Diagnosed Stage 3b CC, 2/55 lymph nodes
May2015: Genetic testing, no Lynch, FAP, Gardners
6/1/15: Started FOLFOX - BAD reaction to 5FU, switched rounds 3-8 to combo of XELODA + OXI via IV.
9/24/15: Round 8 and done with chemo!
Nov2015: First CT scan, X-rays, blood = NED
Jan2016: Bloodwork = NED
Next up: Colonoscopy & Endoscopy, more CT scans, etc

mozart13

Re: Neuropathy and effect of chemo?

Postby mozart13 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Thats great NoFear mom, it looks like you had excellent response to chemo initially.
Thx!
55 year at the time of diagnosis, male
Diagnosed with T1,T2 N0 M0 rectal cancer
Total neoadjuvant therapy or TNT (chemoradiation followed by systemic chemotherapy)
Negative since Feb. '17
No surgery
Watch&Wait approach 8)
I don’t come much to the forum , so if this is not updated it means I remain negative!
Wish good luck to all!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”