Neuropathy 5 years post chemo - residual chemo effect?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Everett Grandma
Facebook Username: Susan Steyh Peverly

Neuropathy 5 years post chemo - residual chemo effect?

Postby Everett Grandma » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:24 pm

I was diagnosed with colon cancer 12/11. Had a left hemicolectomy 2/12, with 1 node out of 54 being bad. Due to the single affected node, chemo was recommended. Began chemo April 2012, and completed chemo November, 2012. I had 5 rounds of oxi, which was discontinued when peripheral neuropathy set in. I continued 5-FU for the full 12 rounds, but the dosage was reduced mid-stream because of mucositis. After we stopped the oxi, the neuropathy gradually subsided. NOW, it has returned to my feet. I've been dealing with back pain issues (degenerative scoliosis, stenosis, and compression fractures). I thought that the neuropathy was from the back, but the sciatic nerve seems to be ok, and there is no leg pain or weakness. I went to my PCP in March. She did labs which were all normal, and said that it's likely caused by the lumbar spinal stenosis. The spine clinic surgeon doesn't agree that the back is affecting my toes. I'm scheduled for an xlif of 3 discs in mid-September. The toe numbness effects my walking; I stumble frequently and easily. Does anyone here have thoughts if neuropathy would return based on the chemo 5 years ago? If so, how do I pursue that? What are treatment options for neuropathy?

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Re: Neuropathy 5 years post chemo - residual chemo effect?

Postby susie0915 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:34 am

I finished treatment in April of 2016. 5 weeks of radiation/xeloda, surgery, then 4 months of chemotherapy after
additional surgery of a bowel blockage 4 weeks after my resection. My neuropathy didn't really bother me until
after I finished treatment. I'm still dealing with it. No pain, mostly numbness and tingling. I think I have adjusted to it. It hasn't stopped me from doing anything, but is annoying. My oncologist prescribed Neurontin, but I really don't want to take any meds. I just try to keep moving which helps. A physical therapist told me a technique called dry needling can help. But yours subsided and has come back? That's strange.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

Parcelpete

Postby Parcelpete » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:52 am

Neuropathy is the "Gift" that keeps on giving. Stage 3B colorectal cancer in June of 2014. Surgery to remove tumor, hernia repair from surgery, then 6 months of Oxipilatin, 5FU, & a third addition to the cocktail that I can't remember. 5 hours every other Monday then a pump for another 48 hrs. Neuropathy started in the 4th month and intensified through the end of chemo. By the end of 2015 I was told the neuropathy was probably permanent. It's in both my feet and hands.

I ve tried Lurica and Symbaltra but the side effects are worse than the neuropathy so I quit them. The only thing so far that seems to help somewhat is a product called Tropicin, a lotion, available through Amazon and other outlets and Glutamine, an over the counter tablet, 1000mg. Doesn't totally solve the issue but seems to offer some relief. I also have just started acupuncture as a last resort. I'm only 2 weeks into it and I've already seen some relief in my hands.

Cannabis oil has been approved in my state for neuropathy this year but my oncologist won't certify me for it because his practice has decided not to do the paperwork because it's too time consuming. Hard to believe a doctor takes that stand after causing the condition of neuropathy but that's their stance. I've reported it to their hospital affiliation. His advice is to go to a Neurologist or pain doctor. I think I'll be looking for a new oncologist. I'll find a source for the oil.

Hope some of this helps.

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 am

I use the Topricin also. My problems mostly in the feet. I won't use the Neurontin prescribed because of the side effects. There are some drs here the advertise for neuropathy solutions, thinking of calling to see what they say. Even though I don't have pain it is quite annoying. My oncologist says can take up to two years to get better, so we'll see.

Susan
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy