malignant pleural effusion

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mag
Facebook Username: maggie york

malignant pleural effusion

Postby mag » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 pm

I was diagnosed with colon cancer in March 2016. Initially it was thought that it was a stage 2 that was removed surgically. At the time the was no lymph node involvement and CEA was normal. A small lung nodule was seen on the initially CT scan but my surgeon thought it wasn't anything to be concerned about. Unfortunately 6 months later that nodule doubled in size and was found to be colon cancer. A nodule was also found in my peritoneal cavity that was believed to be cancer. I started chemo and in January 2017 had lung tumor surgically removed. I finished my 6 month cycle of chemo and then had cytoreductive surgery but everything removed was benign. At my 3 month ct scan 3 new nodules appeared on the outside of my lung and I had a pleural effusion. Testing of the fluid indicated negative for malignant pleural effusion. However, my oncologist says that it is common to get a false negative and he believes it is most likely cancer. I'm not finding much information on malignant pleural effusion secondary to colon cancer. What i find is very scary though. Wanted to see if any of you have experience with this? Treatments? Success stories? thanks, mag

Lee

Re: malignant pleural effusion

Postby Lee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi and welcome, sorry for the reason you are here.

I too have very little knowledge regarding malignant pleural effusion. My advice if you have not already done so, get a 2nd opinion are a major cancer treatment center. How old are you? With your situation, you want someone who going to treat you aggressively. Where are you? In the USA, outside the USA, etc.

Know that there are ways to treat this, it's just a matter of finding the right Dr/team.

Hope this helps some,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

debb

Postby debb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi..I get pleural effusions due to malignancy. It has happened twice already. Both times it was when I was off chemo. Then a scan showed the fluid outside my lung. I too have a few nodes outside my lung. When these get active and grow, this cause my effusion. The treatment, for me, was a round of folfiri. When those nodes started to shrink again, the plural effusions went away. I'm off chemo again right now and scan on Monday. I feel fine, but that has never been an indicator for me. When my last pleural effusion was found, I had run 5 miles the day before. So no real symptoms for me.
2008, Stage 3C, age 42, mom of 4
Folfox 9/08-2/09
Met to right ovary, both removed 7/10
HIPEC 8/10
VATS 7/12, right lung
10/14 Stivarga clinical trial
3/15-7/15 Folfiri & avastin
8/16 Folfiri & avastin
Break! 10 months of freedom
1/18 - 4/23 many Folfiri & Avastin
6/23 Clinical trial REGN7075. Progression
8/23 radiation to femurs and L4
9/23 rechallenged Folfox. Allergic reaction at 4th infusion
11/23 will start Bot/Bal

mag

Postby mag » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Not sure how to post to each reply. Lee, initially
I had my colon resection done in Lawrence Kansas by a general surgeon. He told me everything I wanted to hear. Said that I would be fine
A good friend talked me into getting a second
Opinion from an oncologist at the University of Kansas hospital, dr al-rajabi. Love him. I'm 49
Years old.

Debb, is there cancer in the fluid? How long
Have you been dealing with the pleural effusion?

debb

Postby debb » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi again,
I've never had the fluid that develops outside my lung biopsied. I think we all just assume it does. And since the treatment for me to be rid of the fluid is to target the nodes that are growing in the area. My doc doesn't like to mess around with risky, invasive medical.so far, so good!
2008, Stage 3C, age 42, mom of 4
Folfox 9/08-2/09
Met to right ovary, both removed 7/10
HIPEC 8/10
VATS 7/12, right lung
10/14 Stivarga clinical trial
3/15-7/15 Folfiri & avastin
8/16 Folfiri & avastin
Break! 10 months of freedom
1/18 - 4/23 many Folfiri & Avastin
6/23 Clinical trial REGN7075. Progression
8/23 radiation to femurs and L4
9/23 rechallenged Folfox. Allergic reaction at 4th infusion
11/23 will start Bot/Bal

mag

Postby mag » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks Debb. I read a lot online about malignant
Pleural effusion. Most articles were very negative saying life expectancy was a few
Months to a year. It scared me to death! Sounds
Like you've been dealing with in for a while. It's always comforting to talk to someone going through it. Thanks again!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”