Colonoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jeannette
Facebook Username: Jeannette M

Colonoscopy

Postby Jeannette » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:12 pm

I had an colonoscopy this past Friday. I am 64 years old. Never had a colonoscopy before, hemoccult stool sample have always been negative. I haven't done one in 8 years. I am very bad about going to the doctor or having tests performed. Anyway I had 2 positive stool tests, and referred for colonoscopy. For almost 6 years I have had diarrhea and abdominal pain, just wishing for a solid stool everyday. Colonoscopy revealed 12 sessil polyps which were all removed. One in the ascending colon, one in transverse colon, one on descending colon and the rest in the sigmoid colon and rectum. GI doctor handed me prelim report, said depending upon pathology report be back in a year. In her report a couple she stated that a couple had a benign appearance, but nothing on the rest. They were all of various sizes and she said my regular doctor would receive my results. Hoping to hear something soon one way or another. Does your regular doctor call with results or what? Are Sessile Polyps something I need to worry about? I imagine the Pathologist has the final word. Thanks

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Re: Colonoscopy

Postby KElizabeth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:03 pm

I don't think you should worry but instead keep your appointments for follow-up colonoscopy and stay aware for symptoms. Don't write off symptoms that you know ate not normal. Polyps are not good news in any form, and that's why regular screening is needed. You had quite a few and you will need to make sure that you keep your colon clear going forward.
I recommend getting your vitamin D levels checked and if you are low do some supplementation under the care of your doctor. Vitamin D3 deficiency may be a contributor to some colon cancers and supimentation may help avoid it. You absolutely must have your levels checked while you atetaking D3 though, because over doing it can be harmful.
I wish you the best.
KE
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Postby ocstacy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:10 am

I had an colonoscopy this past Friday. I am 64 years old. Never had a colonoscopy before,

I'm 39 getting my first one very soon! I have to call and schedule it tomorrow. It's been a b*tch trying to get this booked. 1st dr. said I was too young 2nd one said, I had to be 50 and since my mom got diagnosed at 77, he said I could wait until I told him that I had rectal bleeding with painful hemmy's back in 2014. They he had to talk to the GI to finally approve it. I just got it approved to be out with Propoful during the procedure so I don't feel anything. I hear that's hard to get approved to. Well, after two months of trying to get this thing done, it's going to happen in August. I am nervous as heck, but I am ready. I have hemmorhoids, and sometimes I have irritation there with BM's that don't look normal. I know I have polyps. Best of luck to you.
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

Jeannette

Postby Jeannette » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:27 am

I was not nervous about procedure, the prep was the worst since I already suffer from diarrhea and it only made it worse. I only had fentanyl and it was a breeze. But I am still having horrible abdominal pains and wished they would vanish. I have Bentyl but don't like to use it to often. I am hoping that they got every last polyp and no cancer is found. Thanks

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Jeannette,

I hope all your polyps are benign!*hugs* Heat helps me with cramping. I hope you feel better soon!*hugs*

ocstacy,

I hope your prep and colonoscopy go well!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Jeannette

Postby Jeannette » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:03 am

Ocstay Thanks I actually just applied massage several times seemed to help. What blows me away is in prelim report they found the majority of polyps in the rectum. For over ten years I have had CT scans of my lungs there are always growth's some small some large and some diminish in size but not cancer no biopsy at this time. The pulmonologist just can't figure it out. Due for another one next month. Maybe a correlation, I don't know. So doctor is also waiting on report to see what her next step will be. She was vague in speaking with me. I usually worry about doctor's who are like that. They probably are benign, however she did state 4 of them had a benign appearance but nothing about the rest. Even though those sneaky devil's that look benign can be deceivers too. Thanks

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”