Stage 4 rectal cancer with single lung met

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cbbb
Facebook Username: charly6

Stage 4 rectal cancer with single lung met

Postby cbbb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:30 am

Hi New here, just after some advice please. My husband has been diagnosed 3 weeks ago with stage 4 rectal tumour and a single lung met. So far we have had MRI and CT scan and he had the PET CT yesterday so is awaiting the results. My question is my husbands rectal tumour is large 11cm by 5cm, and the lung met is 4cm. I can not seem to find anywhere where someone has had as big a met and survived it. So far no signs on liver and no further mets to lungs, obvioulsy they could be uncovered with PET CT. Has anyone had a similar sized met and survived. So far our oncologist has said he is on a curative path, the lung met, whilst it is big is isolated at the bottom of left lung. He is due to have an illeostomy on monday and the following monday starts chemo, 6 cycles of FOLFOX with 5FU.
The oncologist did however say that if the cancer has spread to his para aortic nodes he moves from curative to palliative, so now i am fearing the results of the last scan!!!
Just after any info from anyone with something similar

many thanks
x

sdino

Re: Stage 4 rectal cancer with single lung met

Postby sdino » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi cbbb. Let me say I'm relatively new to this battle (End of 2016). If any seasoned veterans on here see if my advise or if I'm incorrect on a subject matter, please feel free to speak up. Here are some ideas: My wife's situation is alittle different, but these are just some general ideas.
1. Has a biopsy been performed on the lung met ? This is to target the original location from where the cancer came from.
2. If so, do you know some genetic makeup of these tumors.. ie, MSS or MSI and if there are any mutations such as KRAS and BRAF.
3. What type of institute is your oncologist from ? You may want a 2nd opinion from a big facility, like Sloan-Kettering, MD Anderson, Dana Farber, ect, ect.
4. Hopefully Chemo shrinks these tumors where surgery may be option. I'm not familiar with the para aortic nodes thangy. My wife has too many lung nodules for surgery at this time.
5. New and improved treatments are coming out every day. Please investigate clinical trials.
Hang tough ! Wishing you the very best ... Steve
Caregiver for Wife 54 yrs old
DX:11/16-CC sigmoid colon
Lung Mets: 25+ Bilateral ranging 4mm-5.0cm
MSS, KRAS-G12D; TP53
iTCR TIL Trial NCT03412877 4/19 to 7/19 Off trial, - Sept. 2019 TIL trial NCT01174121
CT Scans: 7/2020 lung met shrinkage 36%, 3 lung mets left, two Liver mets destroyed by TILs
Brain tumor removal 3/2020
CEA:16-11/16; 5 -9/18; 63 -8/19; 1 -1/20; 0.8-5/20

cbbb
Facebook Username: charly6

Postby cbbb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi Steve,

1.No biopsy on the lung, apparently they do not like to do that. We had a PET ct scan, but not yet had the results.
2. No idea of genetic makeup, we need to get testing underway but it needs authorising thru insurance.
3. Our Onc is well trained (we are in UK) but definitely is not in a specialits centre, we have asked to be refered to the Marsden which is a large speciality cancer centre,
4. Chemo is starting in a weeks time, with the hope of shrinking the tumours to make surgery easier. Starting FOLFOX and 5FU
5. Will definitely look into clinical trials

I was just looking to see if anyone else had experience with one large met in the lung

many thanks for the reply

JDinNC

Postby JDinNC » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:39 am

I had one tumor on my lower right lung which was resectioned. Then 6 months of " clean up " chemo to kill any loose running cancer cells. Had my 4 year CT scan on Thursday, will get my results on Monday
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a
7/15 surgery on arm
7/15 NED
4/16 recurrance
5/16 remove metastasis from back
5/16. Started immunotherapy
8/16 discontinue treatment
7/18...PET scan...NED

Maia

Postby Maia » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:34 pm

cbbb wrote: My husband has been diagnosed 3 weeks ago with stage 4 rectal tumour and a single lung met. So far we have had MRI and CT scan and he had the PET CT yesterday so is awaiting the results. My question is my husbands rectal tumour is large 11cm by 5cm, and the lung met is 4cm. I can not seem to find anywhere where someone has had as big a met and survived it. So far no signs on liver and no further mets to lungs, obvioulsy they could be uncovered with PET CT.

Hi, cbbb. Being you in UK, I wanted to mention that you have in your country a very advanced technique to treat lung mets only available in Europe --in UK and Germany--: laser assisted lung metastectomy. It is capable of treating a high number of lung metastases, beyond of what the standard of care, for most cancers, has in its guidelines. Of course, a single lung met should be easier; the good aspect of this technique is that less lung tissue is lost in the process, so the size of the met might not be a problem.
Dr. George Ladas, a professor thoracic surgeon, trained with Dr. Rolle --the German surgeon who developed the device and the technique, and since 2010 he has being using the technique at the Royal Brompton Hospital, London.
This is him: http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/healthprofession ... nts/ladas/
Tel: 020 7351 8567
Fax: 020 7351 8555
Email: G.Ladas@rbht.nhs.uk..

Some newspaper/press articles about this is the UK:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... stamp.html
http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/media/press-rele ... ?locale=en

We have here in this forum patients from USA and other parts of the world who went to get treated with him, and in Germany; it's been expensive for them but it should be NHS covered for you.

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Maia wrote:
cbbb wrote: My husband has been diagnosed 3 weeks ago with stage 4 rectal tumour and a single lung met. So far we have had MRI and CT scan and he had the PET CT yesterday so is awaiting the results. My question is my husbands rectal tumour is large 11cm by 5cm, and the lung met is 4cm. I can not seem to find anywhere where someone has had as big a met and survived it. So far no signs on liver and no further mets to lungs, obvioulsy they could be uncovered with PET CT.

Hi, cbbb. Being you in UK, I wanted to mention that you have in your country a very advanced technique to treat lung mets only available in Europe --in UK and Germany--: laser assisted lung metastectomy. It is capable of treating a high number of lung metastases, beyond of what the standard of care, for most cancers, has in its guidelines. Of course, a single lung met should be easier; the good aspect of this technique is that less lung tissue is lost in the process, so the size of the met might not be a problem.
Dr. George Ladas, a professor thoracic surgeon, trained with Dr. Rolle --the German surgeon who developed the device and the technique, and since 2010 he has being using the technique at the Royal Brompton Hospital, London.
This is him: http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/healthprofession ... nts/ladas/
Tel: 020 7351 8567
Fax: 020 7351 8555
Email: G.Ladas@rbht.nhs.uk...

Some newspaper/press articles about this is the UK:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... stamp.html
http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/media/press-rele ... ?locale=en

We have here in this forum patients from USA and other parts of the world who went to get treated with him, and in Germany; it's been expensive for them but it should be NHS covered for you.

You are an incredible fountain of information.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:17 am

Maia has beat me to it, but if I was in your position I would investigate that for all it is worth.
You may be losing hope, but a single met at this stage, whilst it is large, does not mean you need to lose all hope.
Mine was 1.6cm x 1.2cm and I am still here
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”