Chemo brain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
peterjack
Facebook Username: peterjack

Chemo brain

Postby peterjack » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:20 am

Most of my side effects have now gone, thank goodness (although I seem to have developed arthritis-type pains in my finger joints...!) but now I have returned to work full time I am struggling with the mental/cognitive side of my job. People have commented that I seem "muddled" and I am worried about this. I can't remember, for example, some words, the order in which certain things happened and perhaps most bizarrely I can no longer recognise people's handwriting, including my own, which is a bit freaky...

veckon

Re: Chemo brain

Postby veckon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:50 am

I experienced this so I can empathize. Unfortunately the only solution I found that worked for me was time. After enough time from my last chemo elapsed (it took many, many weeks), my brain started feeling more normal again. So my advice is to let your coworkers know what’s up if it’s not possible to take anymore time off. Also as hard as it can be, exercise helps a lot. Even walking is helpful.
27 yo male
Metastatic rectal cancer diagnosed 12/16
Liver metastases and peritoneal carcinomatosis
Lynch syndrome, MSI-H
Failed liver resection 3/17
FOLFOX6 12/16 - 05/17
Keytruda 5/17 - present
@Memorial Sloan Kettering

Tdubz

Postby Tdubz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:47 am

I had a job interview a few weeks ago and it happened to fall on a treatment week when I already wasn't feeling well. I feel like chemo makes my brain work much slower and it's difficult to think on the fly, so answering the questions was a bit tough. At the beginning of the interview my brain was going so slow that I couldn't even think of an answer to the most simple question. Then I started freaking out because I couldn't answer the question lol. Luckily the interview was with my current boss so they know my situation, but it would have been rather embarrassing if it was with a new employer.

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:23 am

Maggie Nell today bumped and old thread on chemo brain (as she's done a few times in earlier years too). Good read.
As a 'sufferer' myself, it seems not chemo but 'cancer brain'. But effects stay the same . . . .
see Maggie's bump

Thanks Maggie
L
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

mozart13

Postby mozart13 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Its not fun at all.
I am in the middle of chemo, during chemo week can't remember 3 things, this folfox is brutall, than I recover slovlly, when driving, I am driving like senior citizen, dont go far, keep distance, speed is bellow limit, no hwy, my wife laughs when I told her about my driving.

Have hard time concentrating, second week I come around a bit, than try to work on some numbers just to move my brain.

I read somwhere, dont ask me where (LOL), that playing video games helps to re-wire brain,
te idea is just like with old people when they do brain excercises.
55 year at the time of diagnosis, male
Diagnosed with T1,T2 N0 M0 rectal cancer
Total neoadjuvant therapy or TNT (chemoradiation followed by systemic chemotherapy)
Negative since Feb. '17
No surgery
Watch&Wait approach 8)
I don’t come much to the forum , so if this is not updated it means I remain negative!
Wish good luck to all!

Basil

Postby Basil » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm a trial attorney and struggled with this. Not fun losing your train of thought or not being able to summon the right words when you're in front of a jury or questioning a witness. I've been off chemo a month and its mostly gone away, although I have some residual sluggishness.
40 y/o male (now 46), kids 11 & 14.
Dx 3/16/17, rectal cancer s3,t3,n1,m0
PROSPCT trial (FOLFOX in lieu of chemorad)
FOLFOX 4/5/17 - 6/26/17
LAR 7/31/17, temp ileo
pathological complete response
Adjuvant chemo cancelled (IDEA Study)
Ileo reversed 9/25/17
NED
1 year scans - clear
2 year scans - clear
3 year scans - clear
4 year scans - clear
5 year scans - clear (considered cured)

benben

Postby benben » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Ahh yes, the chemo brain.

This, besides neutropenia, is probably my biggest side effect.
I just had treatment 5 and all the cold sensitivity, first bite syndrome, and most tingling sensations were very minimal - in fact less than prior treatments.
However, the fatigue during day 3 (disconnect) through day 5 is very high for me. Mostly find myself sleeping like 36 out of 40 hours after disconnect.
Waking only to go to the bathroom, and drink more fluids - and force in some light snacks.

During the fatigue days the chemo brain effect is so high that doing a small routine like preparing baking soda/salt water mouthwash is a big deal.
Do one step, forget what the hell I was doing, then remember 30 seconds later or so. It's quite concerning for me when it happens, but does tend to diminish about day 5/6 and
keeps decreasing until chemo reload. This time around I noticed using some wrong words or even forgetting the words I want to convey. Hopefully it doesn't get worse and will improve back to normal brain after therapy is complete. I use my brain very much in my business as well as my hands, but the brain function is very important as my work requires a lot of sharp focus. I think it helps to relieve chemo brain symptoms to engage the brain - at least during the off week.

Hopefully your chemobrain symptoms will improve with time.
Make sure to get lots of nutrients. Might look at some supplements that help with brain function as well.

you're not alone.
best wishes,
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”