A little help please

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

A little help please

Postby Bev G » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi.

I have a private message that I guess I was unable to open because my inbox was full. After 10 minutes of rhesus monkey stuff I was able to delete some messages. Now I have "space" but I'm getting a message that says I'm not authorized to read new mail?? Can anyone help? Thanks a lot.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Jacques

Re: A little help please

Postby Jacques » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Bev G wrote:Hi.

I have a private message that I guess I was unable to open because my inbox was full. After 10 minutes of rhesus monkey stuff I was able to delete some messages. Now I have "space" but I'm getting a message that says I'm not authorized to read new mail?? Can anyone help? Thanks a lot.

I haven't seen this particular error message before. Maybe a Moderator would be able to help.

What I would probably do if I got such an error message would be to "Delete all Board cookies" then log out and log back in again to see if this would fix the problem. The link for deleting all board cookies is in the footer at the bottom of the web page.

Do you know if you can send new mail, or has that feature also been blocked now?

Maybe you could look through all of the options on the Rules, Folders and Settings page to see if anything looks wrong:

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_pm&mode=options

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Did Jacques' tips help Bev ?

was this after you PM'd me ?

Make sure ALL of your PM folders have some room, I have found if any folder is 100% full, the system chokes on that
and I admit I have never seen that particular message either.

I checked your member account permissions and everything appears to be normal and PMs all allowed etc.

CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:29 am

CRguy wrote:...Make sure ALL of your PM folders have some room, I have found if any folder is 100% full, the system chokes on that

In my opinion there should be some sort of FAQ on managing Private Messages. Currently, the FAQ library has only three FAQs in the PM area and none of these FAQs pertain to the management of one's PM folders. I think that this would be especially useful for those members who are very active in sending/receiving PMs.

As CRguy has mentioned above, the system may stop receiving or sending your PMs if some of your PM folders are full. Thus, for members who are very active in the PM environment, it would be important for them to periodically check on the size of the PM folders and take appropriate action if any folder is approaching the limit of 100 messages.

• Folder maintenance. A user's default PM configuration has 3 main folders with 100 message limits. The links for checking these are given below. When you click on a link you will see how full that particular folder is right now. You will see a message something like, "Folder is 2% full (2 out of 100 messages stored)". Thus, when you are getting up close to 90 messages stored, then you will need to do something to clear out some space for new messages otherwise any new messages will be blocked, either temporarily or permanently, depending on how your PM options are set.

View messages: Inbox
    http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/ucp.php?i=pm&folder=inbox

View messages: Outbox
    http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/ucp.php?i=pm&folder=outbox

View messages: Sent messages
    http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/ucp.php?i=pm&folder=sentbox

(Note: You can arrange to have up to 4 additional PM folders for storage, and if you have already set up some additional storage folders you should check on the sizes of each of these folders, too.)
  • Verification of your PM settings. If you have checked the size of all your PM folders and are still having problems with PMs, you can check your settings to see if something has been turned off or deactivated. There are two main places where PM-relevant settings are found:

• Other issues. There are several other points to make:

If someone has sent you a PM and has then deleted the PM before you tried to read it, you will not be able to access or read the PM. You will still see a header with the original PM's title, but you will not be able to download the message itself because the message itself no longer exists.

If a member has chosen the option to block all their incoming PMs, you will not be able to send PMs to that particular member.

If your Inbox becomes totally full, you will not receive any notification at all of new PMs arriving, since there is no longer any room to store them. These messages might possibly be kept on the server until you free up some space, but this depends on what options you have in place. So, if you are expecting a PM from someone and you don't receive any notification, it is urgent for you to check whether or not your Inbox is already full.

If your Sent box becomes totally full, then recipients will not be able to open any PMs you are sending to them because there is no longer any room in your Sent folder to store your sent messages.

When you send a PM to someone, the PM will stay in your Outbox until the user is able to download it. Once the user has accessed it and read it, your message will be moved to your Sent folder (if there is any space left there).

• What does the “Delete all board cookies” do?
    “Delete all board cookies” deletes the cookies created by phpBB which keep you authenticated and logged into the board. Cookies also provide functions such as read tracking if they have been enabled by a board administrator. If you are having login or logout problems, deleting board cookies may help.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”