Scar Tissue at Anastamosis Site - Surgical correction

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ABMom

Scar Tissue at Anastamosis Site - Surgical correction

Postby ABMom » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Last week, I went in for my first sigmoidoscopy after my ULAR (I missed the first scheduled one due to not knowing I was supposed to prep). The surgeon shoved something VERY HARD in my rectum before doing the scope. I was literally clawing the bed in pain. He said that some scar tissue had developed at the anastamosis site and this was to 'hopefully' avoid surgery. I gather he was trying to open up the site... but HOLY SMOKE DID IT HURT!

I left with instructions to call the office if things hadn't cleared up within a couple of weeks and they'll surgically fix the issue. It's almost been a week now and all the symptoms I had before this 'procedure' are back (narrow and very frequent stool, failure to empty, etc.). They did clear up for about a day.

Has anyone had this surgery? There was such a rush there I didn't get a chance to ask about it (and I was sort of hoping I wouldn't need it).
39 Stage 1 RC
T2N0Mx - 2016-10-07
LAR - 2016-11-01
Illeo-reversal - 2017-01-27

Jacques

Re: Scar Tissue at Anastamosis Site - Surgical correction

Postby Jacques » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:50 am

It sounds like you have gone through the standard procedure for checking the "patency" of the opening and that now the dilation procedure has been done in an attempt to widen the opening. I don't have any information on what the followup surgery might entail specifically, but I do know they have a way of dealing with the scarring problem through surgery.

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53593&p=426107#p426107

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4286977/

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”