anybody had all left side and rectum removed....?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
effie26

anybody had all left side and rectum removed....?

Postby effie26 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 pm

my mum is having her reversal mid august and she is worrying about what to expect after,she had all the left side of her bowel removed and most of rectum,i would like to hear your experiances please,thank you.... :)
mum 53
diagnosed march 2017
4cm tumor in rectum and a smaller in sigmoid
0/55 nodes
low grade
surgery 17 may 2017
all left side and most of rectum removed (keyhole)
temporary iliostomy
stage 2a no chemo needed

Jacques

Re: anybody had all left side and rectum removed....?

Postby Jacques » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:55 pm

effie26 wrote:my mum is having her reversal mid august and she is worrying about what to expect...

I think she can expect to experience LARS:

Low Anterior Resection Syndrome LARS - After reversal of the temporary ileostomy there is a likelihood that your mum will experience LARS. There are some things that can be done in advance in order to minimize the impact of this problem -- for example, doing pelvic floor rehabilitation exercises or sphincter exercises daily over a period of several months.

http://colonrectalsurg.wustl.edu/en/Patient-Care/Low-Anterior-Resection-Syndrome

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:36 am

Same Diagnosis . It takes a while to obtain some sort of bowel consistency. I used immodium, and still take 1 a day to be comfortable. I do not eat breakfast, and start my consumption of foods around 11 AM. This helps me get through the day at work. It has been over 5 years since I was reconnected. I'll admit it isn't all fun and I keep a rest rom close at hand to this day . Some days there are no problems, and others, depending on how early I eat, can be frustrating. I hope your Mum does well, after all it is better to be alive.
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

tarheelmom

Postby tarheelmom » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 pm

I had my rectum and left side of my colon removed. No J-pouch. I'm 15 months out from the ileostomy take down. The surgeon told me that I should not expect my functionality to ever be the same but that it could be ok. I would say that he was mostly correct. It's not the same, and I spend a lot more time in the bathroom. However, for the most part, I can engage in all activities. I have had some instances where LARS is horrible, but it usually resolves within a few days. I take Metamucil every morning as well as eating a lot of yogurt. I stay away from uncooked vegetables, and I absolutely cannot eat green beans (cooked or uncooked). I am occasionally (1-2x/week) incontinent at night, but that's why there are AI (adult incontince) products. So bottom line - it's different; it's manageable; it can be embarrassing if you let it, but it's part of the effects of having this disease. Good luck.
52 y at dx, mom to 4
DX: RC on 2/22/2016
Stage I, T2N0M0, 0/32 LN
23 mm x 7 mm moderately differentiated invasive adenocarcinoma
3 cm from anal verge
4/12/16: ULAR, TME, & temp ileostomy
6/14/16: ileo reversal

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”