Anyone on XELOX and working?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kellywin

Re: Anyone on XELOX and working?

Postby kellywin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:05 pm

As I'm sure you've seen, everyone has different experiences. I worked full time (for the most part) throughout treatment. With Xelox being every 3 weeks, I think (personally) that's easier than Folfox (every other week) as you have more time in between to feel like yourself. For me, each infusion I felt different. First one not so bad, but the steroids made me nuts, second one felt like shit right away as they lowered the steroids. For the last 2 infusions, I took off 2-3 days after each one depending on how I felt. I'd plan on not trying to do a lot in the first few days, but after that you should feel ok and by the time you hit the second week your better and the third, you feel a lot like yourself. I think the Oxi kicked my ass more than others here have described, but if I'd been able to tolerate a higher steroid dose, maybe I'd have felt better. Idk. But overall, it's doable. I also did it in the vein. I did 5 of the 6 rounds with Oxi, the last one Xeloda only as there were 2 instances I couldn't breathe after the 5th infusion so my doc axed it. If you've got to do more than 6, I'd consider a port, if you're doing 6, the vein is possible. But you have to have a heating pad or heated blankets wrapped around your arm during the whole infusion.
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:47 pm

kellywin wrote:With Xelox being every 3 weeks, I think . . . . more time in between to feel like yourself . . . took off 2-3 days after each one . . by the time you hit the second week you're better and the third, you feel a lot like yourself . . . overall, it's doable . . . if you're doing 6, the vein is possible.

Nice summary, Kelly. Fully agrees with my chemo days
. . . have a heating pad or heated blankets wrapped around your arm during the whole infusion.

That's what my chemo nurses were very keen on. They kept replacing the heated pads with new hot ones every 35-45 minutes, the entire long days.

Oh, and make sure you alternate arms - gives them time to recover
Cheers, L
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

Jacques

Delayed allergic reactions to oxaliplatin

Postby Jacques » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:14 pm

AJQ wrote:... I chose Thursdays for my infusions and hope to go to work on Mondays.

Since you are going to have your infusions on Thursdays, I would suggest that you talk to your oncologist about how to obtain help if you ever have a Grade 3 or Grade 4 reaction on Saturday or Sunday when the Infusion Center is closed and the Doctors offices are closed.

There are some Grade 4 (life-threatening) delayed reactions that happen to less than 2% to 3% of the patient population, and when they happen they typically happen about 2 days after oxaliplatin disconnect. For a patient with infusions on Thursdays, this could mean that the patient suddenly has a very severe reaction on Saturday or Sunday and will need to be helped very quickly.

5.1 Allergic Reactions
See boxed warning
Grade 3/4 hypersensitivity, including anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions, to ELOXATIN has been observed in 2–3% of colon cancer patients. These allergic reactions which can be fatal, can occur within minutes of administration and at any cycle, and were similar in nature and severity to those reported with other platinum-containing compounds, such as rash, urticaria, erythema, pruritus, and, rarely, bronchospasm and hypotension. The symptoms associated with hypersensitivity reactions reported in the previously untreated patients were urticaria, pruritus, flushing of the face, diarrhea associated with oxaliplatin infusion, shortness of breath, bronchospasm, diaphoresis, chest pains, hypotension, disorientation and syncope. These reactions are usually managed with standard epinephrine, corticosteroid, antihistamine therapy, and require discontinuation of therapy. Rechallenge is contraindicated in these patients [see Contraindications (4)]. Drug-related deaths associated with platinum compounds from anaphylaxis have been reported.
Reference: http://products.sanofi.us/eloxatin/eloxatin.html

NHMike

Re: Delayed allergic reactions to oxaliplatin

Postby NHMike » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:52 am

Jacques wrote:
AJQ wrote:... I chose Thursdays for my infusions and hope to go to work on Mondays.

Since you are going to have your infusions on Thursdays, I would suggest that you talk to your oncologist about how to obtain help if you ever have a Grade 3 or Grade 4 reaction on Saturday or Sunday when the Infusion Center is closed and the Doctors offices are closed.

There are some Grade 4 (life-threatening) delayed reactions that happen to less than 2% to 3% of the patient population, and when they happen they typically happen about 2 days after oxaliplatin disconnect. For a patient with infusions on Thursdays, this could mean that the patient suddenly has a very severe reaction on Saturday or Sunday and will need to be helped very quickly.

5.1 Allergic Reactions
See boxed warning
Grade 3/4 hypersensitivity, including anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions, to ELOXATIN has been observed in 2–3% of colon cancer patients. These allergic reactions which can be fatal, can occur within minutes of administration and at any cycle, and were similar in nature and severity to those reported with other platinum-containing compounds, such as rash, urticaria, erythema, pruritus, and, rarely, bronchospasm and hypotension. The symptoms associated with hypersensitivity reactions reported in the previously untreated patients were urticaria, pruritus, flushing of the face, diarrhea associated with oxaliplatin infusion, shortness of breath, bronchospasm, diaphoresis, chest pains, hypotension, disorientation and syncope. These reactions are usually managed with standard epinephrine, corticosteroid, antihistamine therapy, and require discontinuation of therapy. Rechallenge is contraindicated in these patients [see Contraindications (4)]. Drug-related deaths associated with platinum compounds from anaphylaxis have been reported.
Reference: http://products.sanofi.us/eloxatin/eloxatin.html

Well, that's definitely sobering stuff.

I'm a long ways away from that but that reads as being very scary.

I will definitely shoot for Mondays.
Last edited by NHMike on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

AJQ

Postby AJQ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Update: Started Infusion on Thursday. OK so far with the exception of Nausea and Fatigue. Decided to stay with IV rather than a port.

AJ
53 yr, stage 4 adenocarcinoma of appendix(PD) and Cecum
5/16/17: LAP Appendix Removal
5/22/17: Diagnosed. T4 poorly differentiated with LVI
6/21/17: LAP RHC: 1/21 positive Lymph. T4N1M0
7/27/17: started Xelox (Capox) cycles
10/17: CT scan. Multiple Peri and Pelvis mets. Stage 4
11/17: CRS/HIPEC. All nodules removed- low PCI
1/18: CT. 2 lung nodules. next CT on 4/24
7/18: multiple Liver nodules. 3 additional lung nods. Started targeted therapy
1/19: CT scan and Liver resection planned for 2/1/19

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:58 am

AJQ wrote: . . OK so far with the exception of Nausea and Fatigue. Decided to stay with IV

That's good news. Keep it up AJ :)
Best Wishes, L
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”