experiances please..!half of bowel removed

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
effie26

experiances please..!half of bowel removed

Postby effie26 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:28 am

due to my mum having two tumors she had about half of her bowel removed(left side),she is now trying to find out how life is gona be after her bag is removed,how close to normal can your bowel go back too after?i know it will take some time.any experiances of people with that much bowel removed please? :?: :?: :?:
mum 53
diagnosed march 2017
4cm tumor in rectum and a smaller in sigmoid
0/55 nodes
low grade
surgery 17 may 2017
all left side and most of rectum removed (keyhole)
temporary iliostomy
stage 2a no chemo needed

inder_muc

Re: experiances please..!half of bowel removed

Postby inder_muc » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:00 am

Hi,
Half of my bowel was removed last year too. I could be able to return to normal in a few weeks after resection. Your Mom should not have any issues too.

inder_muc
DX 07/2016 Colon Cancer Age 38, Male - Right Hemicolectomy
Stage 2A T3N0M0
Lynch Syndrome

Lee

Re: experiances please..!half of bowel removed

Postby Lee » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Per the signature line, I see that part of her rectum was also removed. That could be a problem, butt only time will tell. My advice, see how it goes. Some people have no problems, others have daily issues-diarrhea, etc. If your mom should have daily issues, know that many people on this forum have found great success with daily enemas. There is a thread devoted to it by tammylane. Also some are able to control issues with diet alone. Other found products like imodium to be very helpful.

I would recommend when she starts to eat again following surgery, keep a food diary. See if some foods effect her and how.

Other people could not live with the issues and would have another surgery to get a colostomy. So see how it goes, and know there are options out there. Hopefully she will be one of those without problems.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”