Cancer, it never leaves

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
edinaman

Cancer, it never leaves

Postby edinaman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:31 pm

This weekend I really hurt my back. Today I went to the Urgent Care department of my orthopedic doctors (yes, more than one). I saw a PA who was wonderful. She was asking me some health questions, and asked if I ever had cancer. I said yes, 13 year's ago. I was expecting the usual reaction of "good for you, that's long ago enough to not be a worry". Instead, she looked up and said that I would have an xray to rule out metastasis. I think my eyes went wide. The xray didn't show anything. She said this is their new protocol anytime a patient has a history of cancer. It's good they are thorough, but it was a little jarring.
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Lee

Re: Cancer, it never leaves

Postby Lee » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:56 pm

edinaman wrote:. . . Instead, she looked up and said that I would have an xray to rule out metastasis. I think my eyes went wide. The xray didn't show anything. She said this is their new protocol anytime a patient has a history of cancer. It's good they are thorough, but it was a little jarring.

Glad to hear the Xray didn't show anything, butt yes this SCARES the SH*T out of me. Jaynee and I were talking about Olivia Newton John recently. 25 yrs breast cancer survivor, now it's in her bones. 25yrs later :shock: . This is actually why I was wanted to be seen for the rest of my life. My Onc a few years back, used the "cure" words. I guess time will tell if that is indeed a true statement.

So glad to hear it was NOT cancer, butt still unsettling.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Re: Cancer, it never leaves

Postby wwroam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 pm

My old oncologist was perfectly happy to see me while I could be bothered turning up for appointments.
The CEA test can detect more cancers than bowel.
In the end it may ultimately save my life.
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”