Sticky Stool??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Hivegirl311

Sticky Stool??

Postby Hivegirl311 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:52 pm

:? :?: Hi All,

I'm new here and want to first say I do not have cancer but am concerned and want to thank you for allowing me to come to you with my question. I am 33 y/o female. Who has been on a great deal of medication off and on for several years. That has caused me to become extremely constipated to the point that I have to go and retrieve the backed up stool myself. Sorry that's graphic. I take laxatives they to nothing I have gone to the ER and they are able to eleviate the stool but I have enough medical bills I can not do that all the time. I have had my gum bladder removed and it seems that from that point on I have had nothing but issues! That was about 3years ago now in the last 6 or so months I have been having to do the extraction thing myself every so often because it's just not happening the way it should. So here's what happens I feel when I'm up ☝ there.... It's like my stool gets lost on the way and I have to direct it to the final destination... Sorry again.. On top of that its hard brown but with a yellow sticky otter layer what is going on?? I'm at a loss and I am so sick of going to my doctor all the time I never do a forum but it's probably because I will rant like I am now.. Sorry again.. Any thoughts, advice, guidance or am I crazy and need to move on?

Thanks in advance!

Lee

Re: Sticky Stool??

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:36 pm

I've heard of people who get their gallbladder removed have issues with diarrhea, not constipation. How much water do you drink? Maybe up it and see if that helps. I know cheese for me can back me up.

And yes, certain medicines can cause constipation.

Maybe keep a food diary and see if there is a pattern with certain foods.

I suspect the yellow sticky is mucus trying to move your stool along. Feel free to rant here, believe it or not, we do get it. And there is nothing graphic here. When dealing with colon rectal cancer, we all left our modesty at the hospital front door.

Good luck, sorry you are dealing with this,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

zephyr

Re: Sticky Stool??

Postby zephyr » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:09 pm

I had a similar problem immediately after my colon surgery. When I mentioned it to my gastroenterologist, he recommended glycerin suppositories (over the counter) rather than manual manipulation. Those did the trick for me and were a more pleasant (as those things go) solution.

As Lee mentioned, cheese can cause problems. All dairy can be constipating for some people. And a food diary would certainly help. But also (and to reinforce Lee's suggestion again), water, water, water. Aim for 8 cups a day. Some people will say that you don't really need that much but it made a huge difference for me. Your mileage may vary. Stool softeners might also help. I like Colace but there are others. On my chemo days when it seems that the muscles up there just quit working, I add another stool softener with senna (a natural laxative). I have an 88 year old neighbor on daily pain medication who taught me that solution.

Yep, the yellow stuff is probably mucus. I've been told that the colon is a mucus factory so *probably* not to worry if it happens now-and-then ... but if it's a regular thing, you should probably get it checked out.

Water, water, water.

Hope you find relief!
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy