MSI-high and Folfox

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Stewsbetty

MSI-high and Folfox

Postby Stewsbetty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:48 am

Hello all, I am wondering about other MSI-high patients and Folfox. I did the 12 rounds of Folfox (stage 3) and the one lymph node that was showing up on the scans didn't respond. I will be having surgery to remove it in a couple of months. I am just curious how Folfox worked for others MSI-high. This article seems to indicate that it isn't the best treatment for MSI.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4901118/

So just killing time trying to gather more information that is applicable to my situation. :)

Beth
42yo At diagnosis. Female in BC, Canada
Dx: CC ascending
Right Hemi colectomy 06/16 clear margins
Adenocarcinoma 6cm High Grade
pT3 pN2a Stage 3
10 out of 16 lymph involved
MSI-h, Kras mut, Braf wild
Finished chemo Feb. 2017
PET scan showing active area April 2017
July 2017 CT showing LN mass and spread to other LN
Stage 4
Aug 2017 failed Fofiri
Sept 2017 keytruda scans every 3 months showing shrinkage and stability
November 2018 CT shows only 1 small tumour left
September 2019 clear CT finally NED!!!

Maia

Re: MSI-high and Folfox

Postby Maia » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Stewsbetty, the best treatment for MSI is immunotherapy, an anti PD-1 checkpoint inhbitor. One, Keytruda, has been approved for MSI-high cancers, including CRC, this past May in USA. It is probably a matter of months until is approved in Canada, but you probably could obtein that off label, now, or in a clinical trial.

I think you followed BeanMamma's posts. She's MSI-high. If you remember, she had Folfirinox plus Avastin, and was deemed a non-resectable, chemo-for-life patient. She started immunotherapy, the CEA dropped and keeps dropping and she just posted she'll have resection soon.

TXLiz

Postby TXLiz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:11 pm

This is an area of interest to me as well. I am MSI high too.

I received folfox and finished in March 2017, and am NED.

Because I have so many poor prognosticators- perineural and lymphvascular invasion, a very large tumor that obstructed, right sided disease- I am indeed nervous.

Both my local onc and my onc at MDA said folfox was first line treatment, because I questioned them both about the study cited in this thread. They both said we'd cross that bridge when we got there, but said immunotherapy was a treatment that may help me.

I am wondering if at some point they will use immunotherapy as a first line treatment on MSI high tumors but I don't think they have enough "evidence" yet.

I underwent testing for Lynch and was told it was inconclusive because my tumor and presentation was that of Lynch but the test came back negative. The geneticist said she's still recommended that me and my kids get all the advanced screenings because there is a lot the medical community does not know about Lynch and tests are not definitive.

If I have any change in status or any further info from my oncs I'll be sure to report back. Good luck my friend.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

Stewsbetty

Postby Stewsbetty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:50 am

Thanks Maia and TxLiz.

If I do have a recurrence I do plan to fight for immunotherapy! The folfox did virtually nothing on the infected lymph node that was left (it is out of the normal operating range). But I think I would rather have it surgically removed now. I guess I like the idea of getting rid of cancer in a few short hours. :). plus I have been waiting awhile to hear NED!
42yo At diagnosis. Female in BC, Canada
Dx: CC ascending
Right Hemi colectomy 06/16 clear margins
Adenocarcinoma 6cm High Grade
pT3 pN2a Stage 3
10 out of 16 lymph involved
MSI-h, Kras mut, Braf wild
Finished chemo Feb. 2017
PET scan showing active area April 2017
July 2017 CT showing LN mass and spread to other LN
Stage 4
Aug 2017 failed Fofiri
Sept 2017 keytruda scans every 3 months showing shrinkage and stability
November 2018 CT shows only 1 small tumour left
September 2019 clear CT finally NED!!!

Maia

Postby Maia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:56 am

Stewsbetty wrote:Thanks Maia and TxLiz.
If I do have a recurrence I do plan to fight for immunotherapy! The folfox did virtually nothing on the infected lymph node that was left (it is out of the normal operating range). But I think I would rather have it surgically removed now. I guess I like the idea of getting rid of cancer in a few short hours. :). plus I have been waiting awhile to hear NED!

Of course! If resectable... resect! :) Just keep in mind that you'll have immunotherapy approved IF --IF, I remark that-- you need, someday, some systemic, IV, treatment. The same for you, TxLiz --for you, in USA, it is already approved. But I'm hopeful neither of you both will need further treatment!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”