irinotecan side effects with illeostomy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
logee

irinotecan side effects with illeostomy

Postby logee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 am

I have an illeostomy and my rectum and sigmoid colon were removed last October. I had my 6th chemo with folfiri last week and for the past 3 chemo infusions I have experienced sensations and pain in my butt, anal area and inside my lower intestines. The first time I went to see my surgeon as I was concerned I had a new tumor but a scan and exam showed I do not.

He suggested I use a suppository as it could be mucuous building up. I have done that about three times and do release mucous and after much pain and 4-5 hours of running to the toilet, by the next day the sensations and pain are gone.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they managed it and if it was painful.

Other than that and fatigue the last scan showed lung and liver tumors are stable so I am happy! With stage iv crc that is all I ask for at this point, more time!

Maggie Nell

Re: irinotecan side effects with illeostomy

Postby Maggie Nell » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:29 pm

bump
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

logee

Postby logee » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Not sure what bump means?

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:09 pm

logee:
"Bump" means that someone was kind enough to click on your thread and post the word "bump" (if they had no material suggestion to or advice to offer) thus moving your thread up to the top of the queue line where it will be noticed more readily.

Likely the "bump" brought your thread to my attention.

As to your plight and question . . .

What you are describing and experiencing is normal. No worries.

It sounds as though you have a small residual rectal cuff and anus,given that you are passing mucus from your disconnected backend. Also, in that your surgeon suggested that you insert a suppository indicates that you have a rectal stump and anus. That is, you do NOT have a backend that has been surgically closed (Barbie or Ken butt is the moniker used to describe a surgically closed anus).

The tissues of the disconnected rectal stump will continue to produce mucus and serous fluids and long chain fatty acids. These secretions will need to exit the body via the anus. The output can range in color from whitish-gray to light brown. They are often referred to as "mucus poops." Discharge varies from person to person - daily to once every week, about a teaspoon.

The tissues will tend to atrophy over time and offer less secretion.

Phantom rectal pains are also a common occurrence, especially during the first few weeks/months post resection. The pelvis is highly innervated by sensory nerve endings. Although your rectum may be departed, the sensory nerve endings remain intact and in place. The sensory nerves are not aware that your rectum has been disconnected and respected.

There is a personal care product called "BUtterfly Pads" that are an innovative solution to managing annoying anal discharge. It is a thin cotton pad that discretely fits between the butt cheeks. I highlynrecommend them. "Butterfly Pads" are available on Amazon.

Irritation of a hibernating rectal stump can occur from time to time. Inflammatory proctitis is usually accompanied by flu-like symptoms, pain and a dull pressure to the pelvic area, and a foul odor to the discharge. It is good to check in with your primary care MD under these conditions as a short course of antibiotics can be beneficial in keeping bacterial overgrowth at bay.

Feel free to visit the United Ostomy Association informational website and forum. Mucus poops and proctitis are common topics of discussion, along with strategies to manage and minimize their disruption.

http://www.ostomy.org

I hope your backend calms down and gives you less grief in the days to come,
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”