O/T They Say Things Come In Threes...Update #3/Photo Shoot of My Furbaby Chloe

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SweetC80

Re: O/T They Say Things Come In Threes...Update #3/Photo Shoot of My Furbaby Chloe

Postby SweetC80 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 am

So many cute puppies <3
My Mom's history
68 years old at diagnoses
12/16 Stage IIIb Rectal Cancer CEA 1.2
1/17-2/17 Chemoradiation CEA 4.4
5/17 Entire Colon (9 non resectable pre cancerous polyps), Rectum and Anus removal Perm Ileostomy Bag
7/17 Starts FOLFOX
9/17 Stage IV 9cm Liver Met plus abdominal Lymph Nods and suspicious Lung Nodule CEA 197
9/17 Starts Irincotecan CEA 160
10/17 Confirmed KRAS Positive CEA 210
11/17 CEA 425 waiting on scan

bitchslapped

Re: O/T They Say Things Come In Threes...Update #3/Photo Shoot of My Furbaby Chloe

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 am

Susie, What's your pup's name? From the back he/she looks cute.
Chloe is looking fairly big compared to some of these babes, weighing in @ 10.6 lbs (thx prednisone), but she is rather long in the waist :lol:
She wants to keep her girlish figure, but a girl has got to eat, don't you know! :mrgreen: :lol:

It has been uplifting & fun to have our little "dog & pony" show (or should I say dog & kitty show, ponies welcome too). :)

BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07 fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:58 am

bitchslapped wrote:Susie, What's your pup's name? From the back he/she looks cute.
Chloe is looking fairly big compared to some of these babes, weighing in @ 10.6 lbs (thx prednisone), but she is rather long in the waist :lol:
She wants to keep her girlish figure, but a girl has got to eat, don't you know! :mrgreen: :lol:

It has been uplifting & fun to have our little "dog & pony" show (or should I say dog & kitty show, ponies welcome too). :)

BS
That is Baxter when he was a puppy. He is on the right. He's 5 now and about 20 lbs. Next to him is Cameron. He was a pup then and is about 14 lbs now.
It was therapeutic having them with me during treatments, and dealing with everything. Chloe is adorable.
58 yr old mother of 3 Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO/ 2A
6/15 5 wks of chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/scar tissue left
8/15 Pet scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 Bowel blockage. 3 1/2 weeks in hospital,early ileo rev since
surgery to repair blockage. c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 Clear CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 CT 4mm lung nod onc thinks scar tissue
monitored for autoimmune disorder/interstitial lung disease
7/17 no change lung nodule
10/17 Clear CT

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Baxter has a doxie friend at daycare named Einstein. He loves him. Looks like Chloe.
58 yr old mother of 3 Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO/ 2A
6/15 5 wks of chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/scar tissue left
8/15 Pet scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 Bowel blockage. 3 1/2 weeks in hospital,early ileo rev since
surgery to repair blockage. c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 Clear CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 CT 4mm lung nod onc thinks scar tissue
monitored for autoimmune disorder/interstitial lung disease
7/17 no change lung nodule
10/17 Clear CT

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Certainly could use some good news for a change, which came yesterday. Chloe's pre-dental cleaning exam & bloodwork revealed words from her vet & staff of she's doing/looking "fabulous", "amazing", "great care" (seriously, I could do better), not once, but several times. They just love her in there (one of their favorites) as she's such a good girl. Dental x-rays good, no problems. I did ask vet to remove newly discovered hard zit (she's had smaller one before which I just squeezed out), pustule of something on her outer upper left ear. Vet punched & stitched it, asked if I wanted it sent in for testing. Hesitated for a moment; decided to err on the side of caution. We'll see.
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Hey homie
while I generally don't "guess" :shock:
my best guestimated opinion would have to tend toward
sebaceous cyst, benign adenoma type stuff ... JMO

Great news on all the other " good lookin' " reports !!!
well done Mom :mrgreen:

Cheers and best wishes
CR
Caregiver x 3
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
10 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Glad you chimed in CRguy. Won't hold you to it, but am curious. Noticed when I was blow drying after her bath. Got to get gussied up b4 doc appt, don't ya know. Her doc wasn't saying or recommending pathology after the last ordeal when she thought Chloe had cancer. She was going neutral on this one. We'll know for sure in a day. I don't think it's anything, as I said, not the first, but I'll check out sebaceous cyst in dogs for the heck of it. Not like I haven't been on the computer for 2 wks straight as of late. :roll:

I just think they were pleasantly surprised cause it's been awhile since they've done the xrays, cleanings as we usually go to the doggie dentist.
Her doc comments occasionally that her oral health has contributed to good heart health for Chloe @ the ripe old age of 14. (but we won't talk about that) :oops:
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:12 pm

bitchslapped wrote:Her doc comments occasionally that her oral health has contributed to good heart health for Chloe @ the ripe old age of 14. (but we won't talk about that)

BS:
Way to go, Miss Chloe, on the excellent health summary from her veterinarian. And way to go, bitchslapped, on tending to regular oral hygiene for Miss Chloe. Good oral hygiene plays a significant role in one’s systemic health - canine and human counterparts alike.

Miss Chloe and my Miss Molly are on a similar trajectory. Serendipity? Molly had her pre-dental hygiene laboratory work-up drawn earlier this morning, for an annual dental cleaning scheduled for this upcoming 8-Nov.

My Molly (tea-cup Maltese) has been blessed with solid bone density of her jaw and excellent health of her gums and teeth. I initiated regular care of her teeth and gums when she was a puppy along with a professional cleaning 2 times a year. It has paid off. Molly has retained all of her teeth without any dental caries. Her sparkling oral health has made her struggles with Chron’s colitis easier to weather by keeping intestinal bacterial overgrowth at bay.

Cheers to you and Miss Chloe for the loving bond between you. Cheers to you in your role as Miss Chloe’s pet parent extraordinare’. I have little doubt but that Miss Chloe reciprocates equal measures of love and care back to you.

Freely accept Miss Chloe’s love and comfort as you help and support your BFF in navigating her appendicial cancer and treatment options. Our companion pets instinctively know how to fill areas of emotional and physical loss and pain in our lives.

With tail wags and wet nose kisses,
Karen and Molly (the Maltese)
Devoted daughter to my father, diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer Nov-2014.
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former CC member.
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy.
I have been on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression and recurrent infection x 4 years. I transitioned to Hospice Sept-2016, but it was not yet my time. I am back on Palliative Care and live a simple life due to frail health.

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Close enough CR...technically categorized as follicular cyst.

MissMolly wrote:My Molly (tea-cup Maltese) has been blessed with solid bone density of her jaw and excellent health of her gums and teeth. I initiated regular care of her teeth and gums when she was a puppy along with a professional cleaning 2 times a year. It has paid off. Molly has retained all of her teeth without any dental caries. Her sparkling oral health has made her struggles with Chron’s colitis easier to weather by keeping intestinal bacterial overgrowth at bay.

Karen, I think you get mother-of-the-year award! Poor Miss Molly w/Chron's colitis (poor mom too). Chloe is on low dose prednisone for IBD. Is Miss Molly as well? It has never been recommended to give Chloe probiotics or anything, just allergic diet which we sort of follow. A girl has got to live a little!
Doxies are known for teeth problems apparently, so we've (I've) had a couple of lessons along the way @ her expense, but we try. Any good report on her makes me happy (relieved).

I'm sure glad CT is pet friendly!! :mrgreen: :lol: 8)

More pictures people! :D

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Canine oral hygiene is a subject I need to pay attention to. Do you ladies do any routine tooth brushing for your girls?

I may be able to add a new pic or 2 of the baby (already 20.8 lbs)
Terri aka peanut
diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
permanent colostomy
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:08 pm

peanut, I do brush Chloe's teeth; am not regimented about it like the doggie dentist wants, which of course is every day. I have brushed her teeth every day, but mostly I try to brush a few times per week, give or take. The older she gets, the more we both dislike it. My technique is probably more invasive than it needs to be. (cheap, hand powered, battery operated Oral B toothbrush b/c it has a small, round brush head + plenty of doggie toothpaste & brush by quadrants (6)). She gets a treat afterwards + I use the oral rinse after brushing as well which she can't stand. On her "off" days I just use the oral rinse (if I remember). As I said, I could do better. Doc didn't think she needed annual cleanings until she was around 3. I didn't brush her teeth when she was a pup; didn't really know. I thought WTH, are you kidding me?!...I didn't sign on for this! :shock: Remember the dentist put one of those red tabs in her mouth (like they used to do w/your kids) to check spots I was missing. That really incensed me. :evil: For awhile the vet prescribed Rx doggie dental food, until Chloe all of sudden decided she didn't like it anymore.

The best advice I got from the doggie dentist was: "If you can't bend it, don't give it to your dog." That was after the first root canal on upper molar from a pork chop bone. The 2nd root canal on the other side upper molar was after the doggie veggie dental chews they all sell (incl the dentist). After a refracture of one root canal clear under the gum line (I was warned extra care w/b needed to prevent bacteria from getting in there), I said to pull it. Had I paid for crowns on her two root canals, the refracture probably w/n have happened. I was just done w/dental emergencies. The rawhide with chlorhexidine took surface enamel from her canines (eye teeth), however my own dentist took a look & said the dentin wasn't exposed. :lol: (yes, I took her w/me) Then she had one bad small back tooth that needed extracting. All of these problems started while she was entering her senior years @ 6 or 7 yrs.
Moral to the story is: daily brushing is best...probably w/a finger brush or doggie toothbrush, doggie toothpaste (people toothpaste toxic to them).

Dachsunds are known for bad teeth. They have a small jaw, but a mouthful of crowded teeth which makes them prone to problems! Getting all the way 'back there' can be challenging. But for 14, she's in decent shape.

Don't know how this person got this pic. My experience is in a deep, dark cave that you need a crowbar to keep open. So that's my looong story to go along w/my looong doggie & I'm sticking to it. :P However the short answer to your question is Yes. :oops:

Teeth brushing, grooming, bathing I find are opportunities to notice things.

Sounds like Fonzie is growing fast!

BS
Last edited by bitchslapped on Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:30 pm

This thread keeps me smiling. I am in the hospital myself with yet another small bowel obstruction due to scar tissue.

I use the oral rinse that you can add to your pets drinking water. Molly drinks a LOT of water o the dental rinse in her water has a measureable positive effect. I also have her teeth cleaned once a week by her groomer who scrapes off tarter. A twice a year cleaning at the veterinarians rounds out her dental care. It is not cheap to maintain good canine dental health but has added to her physical health and saves money with chronic systemic illnesses due to poor oral health.

Molly is on prednisone. Just like her mother - me. We share a parallel life of sorts.

I highly recommend Forta-Flora by Purina (veterinary prescription) as a probiotic. Just mix with food. It is highly pleasing in taste.

Molly is now on Visbiome (VSL#3) as a higher grade probiotic. It has healing properties not found in normal probiotics.

I love this little Maltese with all of my heart. Best to each of you pet parents, Fonzie, and especially Miss Clore.
Karen
Devoted daughter to my father, diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer Nov-2014.
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former CC member.
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy.
I have been on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression and recurrent infection x 4 years. I transitioned to Hospice Sept-2016, but it was not yet my time. I am back on Palliative Care and live a simple life due to frail health.

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Oh boy, Karen. My mother had bowel obstruction from colon resection followed by hernia repair where scar tissue closed off her bowel. It was a dire, emergency situation that required the surgeon to perform surgery on Sat of an Easter weekend. Hope they can get you fixed up & back home w/Miss Molly soon! Will they allow someone to bring her for a visit?

Will have to ask vet about benefit of probiotics for Chloe some time. Subject has never come up.

I've enjoyed the exchanges on this thread too. We learn + it's good for the spirit to talk about something on the lighter side from time to time.

Let us know how you are coming along in the hospital & when you get your walking papers. I hope you can get home to Miss Molly soon. Those puppy tail wags & wet nose kisses, as you call them, have healing power! :)

Chloe hits me relentlessly w/her front paws to get me up in the morning & if that doesn't work she takes to licking my arm w/that sandpaper tongue of hers. If I did that to HER, it w/n be ok. She has no sense of humor that way. :roll: :mrgreen:

I know you love your precious little debutante & deservedly so!

Hope you get "sprung" soon. Again, keep us updated.

Best Wishes
BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks for the oral hygiene tips ladies.

Karen, sorry to hear about your bowel obstruction. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

What do your girls eat? Fonz is getting close to the age where the switch to adult food is in order. His CA vet is really enthusiastic about raw food. Apparently more natural like what wolves eat. I've discussed 1/2 raw and 1/2 dry with her, and she likes that plan. Makes it easier to travel etc. Think we're going to go with Orijen dry adult. That was her recommendation especially since Frenchies are not the most athletic of animals, and can tend to put on excess weight.

hugs
peanut
Terri aka peanut
diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
permanent colostomy
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am

Such adorable pet photos! Thanks for sharing! :)
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”