O/T They Say Things Come In Threes...Update #3/Photo Shoot of My Furbaby Chloe

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bitchslapped

O/T They Say Things Come In Threes...Update #3/Photo Shoot of My Furbaby Chloe

Postby bitchslapped » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:28 pm

I rarely start threads, but thought I'd share w/my comrades here & pick your brains while waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Two days before my grandson left I learned that my snl (mid 70's) had been dx a few days before w/pancreatic cancer. It has metasticized to liver, drained a nerf ball size cyst on her abdomen (fluid full of cancer). Prognosis 3 mos w/o chemo, 6 mos w/chemo. She likes the straightforwardness of her onc. Has opted for chemo. Apparently the side effects of the chemo are not expected to be too bad, though she will receive anti nausea meds.

I have reservations on oncs giving timelines as I maintain nobody can predict. Makes me wonder. When my DH was given 3 wks, he continued on for @ least 6 mos. Any body here familiar w/pancreatic cancer?
I have heard it is one of the more painful cancers & she is certainly in pain.

Took my grandson to the airport last Sat & that very day (late evening) my BFF since 7th grade sent me a text that they were @ the ER as her DH of over 40 yrs had a heart attack on the offramp of the freeway. Collapsed on the road as they were trading seats for her to get in the driver's seat. People who stopped their cars helped get him back in the car, one of which worked @ Kaiser, about 1/2 mi away. He called in to the ER to get ready. She handed the phone off as 911 was asking too many useless questions & they needed to act fast. So he was getting blood thinners probably within 15 min. Cardiologist arrived approx 15 min after that. Cardiologist decided to go conservative vs opening him up, doing angiogram (stent). No apparent damage to heart muscle. He's 67, still working, good shape, eats right, takes daily aspirin (family history).

Will be wearing sandals w/straps today.

BS
Last edited by bitchslapped on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07 fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Maia

Re: O/T They Say Things Come In Threes...Pancreatic Cancer (Not Me)

Postby Maia » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Damn, BS. So sorry.
The heart attack of your friend's husband sounds like something that ended up well, even if could have been a tragedy...
Pancreatic cancer --it depends of location, stage. It has fame of one of the worst ones, and it is, but not in all cases. where is your SNL located --in which state? Is she treated at a main cancer center?
I've been having also some rough weeks. Gladly saying goodbye to this June today.

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:53 pm

BS:
My aunt passed away from metastatic pancreatic cancer a few years ago at the age of 72, so that is the frame of reference from which I respond.

Not all cancers are equivalent or comparable. Pancreatic cancer is a dire diagnosis in that diagnosis is oft misinterpreted or delayed until the disease is fairly well advanced through the abdomen. The pancreas is a small, spongy organ scrouded by the stomach and apron of omentum and small intestine, making diagnosed more difficult because the pancreas is not readily visualized on imaging scans.

My aunt underwent a Whipple procedure, but had a rough post-operative course. She underwent a few rounds of chemotherapy but did not have a favorable response and elected to forgo further chemotherapy. She died about 6 months after the initial diagnosis through Oregon's death with dignity provision. It was the right choice of action for her.

I am sorry to hear about your relative's pancreatic cancer diagnosis. In my opinion, it is one of the more distressing cancers. Prayers to one and all.
- Karen -
Devoted daughter to my father, diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer Nov-2014.
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former CC member.
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy.
I have been on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression and recurrent infection x 4 years. I transitioned to Hospice Sept-2016, but it was not yet my time. I am back on Palliative Care and live a simple life due to frail health.

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:31 pm

So sorry to hear of your SIL's diagnosis. A sister of one of our good friends had pancreatic cancer. I don't know much of the details, but she passed soon after being diagnosed. I think it was advanced when they found it. Sorry also about your friends heart attack, hope he heals, and feels better soon.

Best Wishes,
Terri
Terri aka peanut
diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
permanent colostomy
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:20 am

So sorry to hear all of your news BS. So thankful your friends husband got help fast.
My neighbor passed away 7-8 years ago to pancreatic cancer. When she was first diagnosed she had the whipple procedure as mentioned above. I know she did a lot of chemo as well. I am going to guess that she fought for just over 2 years. I don't recall her chemo giving her too much grief. I actually drove her to the city for one of her appointments, but she would stay with her sister and her sister would take her back and forth to the cancer clinic. I know she was in the hospital for at least a month before she passed away. She had a feeding tube the last few months as she couldn't tolerate food. She lived on boost for awhile as well. As mentioned, I think it is one of the hardest ones to fight. I have never heard of anyone surviving it, sorry! That is what Patrick Swayze passed away from as well as one of our Oiler hockey players just a few days ago, 3 weeks from diagnosis! It is hard to catch until it is advanced. I know my neighbor was going yellow and having back pain when she was diagnosed, clearly effecting her liver.
I hope the new treatments etc available can help give your friend some QOL and more time.
So very sorry my friends, hugs!!!
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:43 pm

bitchslapped wrote:Will be wearing sandals w/straps today.
BS

No doubt :(
sorry for all the hits at once BUTT the cardio patient was wearing horse shoes to have had that kind of response !

as for pancreatic : not so rosy.
1 male classmate and 2 wives of friends ... all with only a few months survivals after initial diagnosis ( 2 in their 60's, one in their late 50's )
all assumed to be exocrine pancreatic cancer ( adenocarcinoma / carcinoma ) as opposed to Steve Job's neuroendocrine type, which is very different.

Harmony sista'
keep those sandals well secured
CRguy
Caregiver x 3
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
10 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:46 pm

(((BS)))

Sh*t, I am so sorry. You, your family and friend are in my thoughts and prayers. Sometimes life is such a challenge.

Don't have any real advice other than one day at a time. So sorry for all that has happened (except for your grandson visit- those are always fun)

All the best,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 10 years and counting!

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:55 am

Thanks folks, for your replies.

Had dinner w/BFF & hubby Thurs. Honestly he looks the same; was stunned how she looked. Lack of sleep, stress, dealing w/insurance for days. Need I say more? He did mention the pain meds didn't help w/the chest pressure. Apparently they have opened-bottomed tables now, once you're stripped they can do scans, whatever from underneath. He's a builder by trade, though not hucking lumber anymore, still working & he was building a wheelchair ramp for the neighbor. Was in the 80's that day. He took a swim in their pool, light dinner, had a beer & they were headed out to her sister's place to help by taking her something as BFF's sister is a ST IV breast cancer patient. Only criticism the doc had was the brand of beer he drank. He would definitely be flying w/the angels had timeline played out differently.

He did have hip surgery in late Dec. 2016. Wonder if possible a blood clot formed from that. My son asked the same thing & BFF said she had read something about that. Suppose anything is possible. Labs are good. Gave him some nitro, but doc said he'd probably never have to use it. They'll followup w/cardiologist next week within their network of doctors. The point being: Some things are beyond our control.

As far as snl. They live in Oregon not far from our KennyT's (RIP KT) location. Oregon has cancer centers @ some of the larger hospitals & a teaching hospital in Portland as well. Certainly not any hospitals in the top list nationally. I knew pancreatic cancer was a beast, hard to treat, but not much about it other than very painful. Had an uncle from the Midwest die from it about 15 yrs ago or so. All I remember is he couldn't eat & was in a lot of pain. I was hoping maybe Keytruda was a player for pc since fasttracked by the FEDS, but thinking it may not be from reading I have done today. Maybe 1 or 2% for msi-H.

The good of course, is my grandson. He is my Sunshine...my only Sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know, Dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my Sunshine away! Remember that song? That's "our song." :D

Yep, wearing the "strap ons" :wink:

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Well...the other shoe(s) did drop. Fell going up the steps, yep, you read that right, UP. Hit my tibia really hard last Tues & now ankle/top foot area swollen.
However, that is secondary to taking my Little Miss Chloe (mini long-haired Doxie) to the vet yesterday for 3 needle biopsy of growth on the back of right front paw pad. Called her vet this a.m. to see if she had looked @ the slides yet & it appears 2nd needle biopsy showed mast cells the vet says are cancerous. She's never been wrong yet.

Mon official lab report s/b back to officially confirm & then she wants to set up consult w/surgeon & oncologist. Had my cry this a.m. Even though she is 14, she is my baby, a beautiful, sweet little girl. Actually my DH's & mine.
Tried to post a pic, but photobucket is now charging to set up accounts w/3rd party sharing & not doing it for one pic.

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:02 pm

So sad. Hope there is something they can do for Miss Chloe. Also hope you're resting up yourself, and starting to feel better.

All the best,
Terri
Terri aka peanut
permanent colostomy
MSS
currently NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:55 pm

bitchslapped wrote:Well...the other shoe(s) did drop. Fell going up the steps, yep, you read that right, UP. Hit my tibia really hard last Tues & now ankle/top foot area swollen.
However, that is secondary to taking my Little Miss Chloe (mini long-haired Doxie) to the vet yesterday for 3 needle biopsy of growth on the back of right front paw pad. Called her vet this a.m. to see if she had looked @ the slides yet & it appears 2nd needle biopsy showed mast cells the vet says are cancerous. She's never been wrong yet.

Mon official lab report s/b back to officially confirm & then she wants to set up consult w/surgeon & oncologist. Had my cry this a.m. Even though she is 14, she is my baby, a beautiful, sweet little girl. Actually my DH's & mine.
Tried to post a pic, but photobucket is now charging to set up accounts w/3rd party sharing & not doing it for one pic.

BS

SISTA' don't get me started on F*&#BUCKET
there is a petition to nuke this nonsense, I' ll post later ( as I host a shitload of pix from all our friends here )

Mast cell : there are some good therapies

currently running to / from hospital care suites

I'LL BE BaaaCK !

harmony
CR

EDITING with update info

https://www.vet.upenn.edu/docs/default- ... f?sfvrsn=4

http://wearethecure.org/learn-more-abou ... ll-tumors/

need the pathology reports with a good read on the stage / grade to make intelligent replies

Please PM me about specifics 'cos we have talked about some other furbuddy treatments ...
lymphs / mets etc. just lemme know

Harmony sista'
always with you on the Journey
CR
Caregiver x 3
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
10 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:43 pm

(( Bitchslapped ))

I am so sorry to read about the preliminary pathology report of your dear mini-daushaund, Chloe. I understand completely the indelible paw prints that our fur-buddies imprint on our hearts.

The human-canine bond is a unique and precious bond.

I have a 14 year old tea-cup Maltese, Miss Molly, that is my soul mate. Molly is a 5 pound ball of fluffy white fur with jet black eyes and nose. She has a playful spirit and brings a smile to everyone who sees her. This little dog has been my constant companion and source of unconditional comfort in my struggles with fragile health.

I can feel your heartfelt love for Chloe in your post.

There are treatment options for mast cell tumors in dogs. Do not feel overwhelmed by grief just yet.

My little Molly had two front toes amputated last year due to an aggressive bone infection. Molly has suffered no adverse effects to the absence of two toes. She walks, runs, and plays with full gusto.

I will say a special prayer for Chloe and will keep the both of you in my thoughts for a good outcome.

Sending Chloe tail wags and wet nose kisses,
Karen + Miss Molly (tea-cup Maltese)
Devoted daughter to my father, diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer Nov-2014.
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former CC member.
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy.
I have been on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression and recurrent infection x 4 years. I transitioned to Hospice Sept-2016, but it was not yet my time. I am back on Palliative Care and live a simple life due to frail health.

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Managed to upload pics to Imgur for free.

A day @ the park w/Miss Chloe last July. Looks the same. And NO, she did not go down the slide. It was just a prop! :shock:
Technically she's a redhead w/black markings. We won't talk about the "frosting" on her little Doxie face as she's sensitive about such things. :oops:

Added one - June of this year in my shopping cart @ the nursery. Employee fell in love w/Chloe & took pic for me. She has Doxies' too, so guess what? Got great customer service from her too! She was running around helping select flowers for my hanging baskets.

Last edited by bitchslapped on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Miss Chloe is officially 'too cute for words'.
Terri aka peanut
permanent colostomy
MSS
currently NED

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:44 pm

For some reason, I can't get the picture. Says pic is no longer available.

Butt hoping for the best for Miss Chloe. Our furbabies are members of the family.

BS hope you are also feeling better soon.

Thinking of you both,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 10 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”