Avastin in Canada

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Theresa

Avastin in Canada

Postby Theresa » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:56 pm

Hi Everyone: I have been advised by my oncologist in Windsor Ontario that Avastin is now available in Canada, however there is no funding for it at the present time. The cost is $2,200.00 per treatment which means $4,400.00 per month. Needless to say, it will not be added to my present chemo anytime soon. Just curious if any other Canadians have been advised of this.

Thanks
Theresa

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:02 am

Hi Theresa,

I heard the same thing. If you go to this link there are a few articles. Ontario is even considering that if you want to pay for it, you will have to pay for the nurses to administer it as well.

Time to start campagning.

Sharon

http://www.ccac-accc.ca/

Terri

Avastin in Canada

Postby Terri » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Hi Theresa,

My husband's oncologist at the Windsor Regional Cancer Centre has recommended that he take Avastin but she has also advised us that to date, OHIP does not cover it. There is however, a new program called the Avastin Assistance Program. Talk to your oncology nurse the next time you have an exam. Our doctor's oncology nurse told us about the program and put everything in the works for us. The cancer clinic pharmacy has paper work to fill out and the oncologist has paper work to fill out. They sent our paper work off on August 2nd. The cancer clinic heard from Roche yesterday and faxed off my husband's medical records to the company. The pharmacist told him the Roche won't give it to us for free, and that every case is different, but we should be able to get some kind of a discount. At our last visit with the oncologist, the first patient they referred to the Avastin Assistance program had heard back from Roche and was going to get a $600.000 discount per treatment. My husband was the second person they'd referred to the program so we'll have to wait and see what, if any, discount we get. Here in Windsor we don't have to worry about the province allowing hospitals to give a drug that is not covered by OHIP. Our cancer clinic is set up as a private clinic, which allows them to administer the drug. The last time my husband went for a chemo treatment, two of the patients were getting Avastin.

I have done a lot of research on Avastin in Canada and found out some interesting things. The provincial health care plans in both BC and Newfoundland cover Avastin. Some Quebec hospitals have found a workaround to get Avastin for patients. Interestingly enough, the government added Avastin to the Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP). The PSHCP is a private health care plan established for the benefit of federal Public Service employees, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, members of Parliament, federal judges, employees of a number of designated agencies and corporations, and persons receiving pension benefits based on service in one of these capacities.

Please feel free to email me any time.

Terri

missj

AVASTIN IN CANADA

Postby missj » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:57 am

HI,
IT IS A SHAME THAT SO MANY PEOPLE COULD BENEFIT FROM AVASTIN BUT CAN'T AFFORD IT. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WHEN HELP WILL NOT BE OFFERED TO A PERSON BECAUSE THEY CAN'T PAY FOR IT. I AM IN FLORIDA AND I HAVE CRAPPY INSURANCE AND THEY WERE GOING TO DENY ME AVASTIN BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WOULDN'T BE PAID FOR. I KNOW THAT MEDS ARE EXPENSIVE AND THE DOCS NEED REIMBURSSMENT FOR GETTING THEM BUT COME ON $4000.00? IT IS A SHAME THAT MONEY COMES BEFORE POSSIBLY SAVING A LIFE. I WAS READY TO SELL EVERYTHING I OWN SO I COULD GET TREATMENT IF THE CRAPPY INSURANCE WOULDN'T PAY. I AM ONLY APPROVED FOR $100,000.00 OF CHEMO OVER A LIFETIME AFTER THAT IM ON MY OWN. THAT WILL ONLY GET ME ABOUT 12 CHEMO TREATMENTS THEN IM SCREWED WHEN I NEED MORE, AND I WILL NEVER BE APPROVED FOR ANOTHER INSURANCE POLICY HAVING A STAGE 4 CANCER. IT IS BAD ENOUGH HAVING CANCER, BUT IT IS WORSE WONDERING HOW TO PAY FOR TREATMENT.

Terri

Avastin in Canada

Postby Terri » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:37 pm

Hi Theresa,

I have found a Colon Cancer Resource and Action Group here in Ontario that is fighting to have Avastin and Erbitux covered by OHIP. I have found a lot of good information that is specific to Ontario that I can share with you.

Please email me. I have been doing a ton of research since my husband was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer and I would like to help you in any way I can.

Terri

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”