Yellow then mucus stools.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Julianna

Yellow then mucus stools.

Postby Julianna » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:04 am

Hi all.
I don't have cancer , but have suffered severe pelvic adhesions for 10 years, and take strong looks drugs including Morphine. I have always suffered diarrhoea and constipation, but have noticed a change, and just needed advice.
The last 3 months I have had pale yellow stools, both soft and hard. All of sudden it's now darker greenish with large thick white strings ( with pink streaks in it ) of mucus covering the stools.
For a while I've been worried whether I've damaged my liver ( cirhosis ) from all the drugs I take. Now Im confuse.
Any suggestions anyone? Should I just with abit?

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: Yellow then mucus stools.

Postby Bev G » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi Julieanne,

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, and sorry no one has responded to you. You really need to see a GI doc to have your issue evaluated. I think suspect would be your gall bladder, butt you need a doc's advice. Please go ahead and get that checked out. Feel better soon.

Best wishes,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:10 am

Bev G wrote:You really need to see a GI doc to have your issue evaluated.

Excellent advice, to which you should give serious consideration into following !

best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Swirdfish

Postby Swirdfish » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:25 am

Sorry I don't want to scare you. As they said above.

I had a mucinous Adenocarcinoma only happens in less then 10% cases, and I think this reflected on my toilet paper.

Sorry just thinking out aloud. Go get it checked.
06/2016 Went in for colonoscopy came out with a tumor. Age 35
12cm from verge at junction. Rectal cancer.
Clinical stage T3 NO MO
Temp illestomy
Completed 5FU and Radiation
LAR surgery planned 13 Oct 2016
Completed ULAR surgery 11-10-2016.
0/22 nodes
pT3 N0 M0 R1
Stage 2A

Pathology reviewed and changed
ypT3 N0 M0 R0

Started folfox 21-11-2016
5-4-17 NED
Reversal 12-4-17

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:30 am

As others have said, you need to see a doctor about this.

Normal stools usually have a dark brown color, even if you eat nothing but white rice. If your stools are of a different color, then something might be wrong, but you need to see a doctor and have the correct tests done to get a proper diagnosis.

Here are some links about stool color interpretation:

The Many Shades of Poop and What They Mean
http://www.everydayhealth.com/crohns-disease/symptoms/many-shades-poop-and-what-they-mean/

What’s Your Poo Telling You?
http://www.digestionreliefcenter.com/resources/articles/about-digestion/Tan-colored-stools.html

Julianna

Postby Julianna » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for the replies. Very much appreciated. :)
Well, I read up alot online, obviously I was quite concerned . I wanted to wait and see if it went away on its own ( hoped it was just a blip ). Overall, I guess I just didn't want to overreact everytime something changes in my body, you know how it is. Thats why I've contacted you here.
I hate bothering the doctors all the time. I will be calling my GP out to see me on Friday ( as I'm bed bound ) . Bright red blood in my stools all the time now, and becoming more noticeable. To be honest I had a colonoscopy 13 years ago for blood in stools , and was just told to eat more bread. !! But this is the first time my stools have gone yellow. Hence my confusion.
Well, what ever will be , will be. Just hope my doctor takes me seriously, instead of passing it off as IBS without tests.

Julianna

Postby Julianna » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Oh yes, I just realised. I did actually mention my yellow stools to my GP in a letter I sent to him a month ago. He didn't say anything, he just got back to me about another question I had about my health.
So I felt it couldn't have been that alarming.
Sorry if I'm making typing errors or forgetful, its the medication. I hope you all understand.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:32 pm

just to add on here a bit to Jacques colour chart, it is sometimes also helpful in describing BMs to doctors etc. to refer to the Bristol Stool Scale in defining the actual character and appearance of your output :shock:

Would also like to add that certain medications and infectious intestinal diseases can alter stool colour directly without affecting underlying organ function ( i.e. liver, pancreas ) Pepto Bismol ( bismuth subsalicylate ) will darken the stool significantly in some folks but would not normally be associated with upper GIT bleeding as per the colour chart.

Cheers all
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Julianna

Postby Julianna » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks CRguy
yes I forgot that. The trusty Bristol chart will be useful.
As for other causes for stool changes, I did wonder initially if some of the drugs I take have altered something.
Ive aways said "there's more problems and pains from the side effects of drugs, than the initial problem or pain it is treating".

thanks for that and best wishes for all members
Julianna

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”