Two years since Dx: a report for encouragement

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CatHair

Two years since Dx: a report for encouragement

Postby CatHair » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Hoping my experience can be encouraging for anyone in similar circumstances...

Two years ago, after unsettling symptoms prompted my first colonoscopy (at 55, yeah, I know), a low rectal tumor was discovered. After much research I chose major surgery (removal of the rectum, straight connection, & temporary ileostomy, with ileostomy reversal 3 months later) instead of a less-radical approach of excising the tumor only but with required chemorad afterward.

About recovery, it's true what others on this excellent forum have written: it can take one to two years for the body to fully adjust itself to the new plumbing. The first three months after ileostomy reversal were quite difficult for both digestion and brain fog (after two general anesthesias within three months), the next 3 and 6 were progressively easier each month, but it took a good year/18 months post-surgery (where I am today) to get back to the new normal -- which is *much* more manageable than I had feared.

My daily quality of life is nearly what it was before Dx -- I just have to use the toilet more frequently during the day, and be mindful of my diet to avoid or immediately address episodes of constipation. I did give away some clothing whose fabric, color and form-fitting style were too revealing of post-surgical belly lumps that I prefer not to disclose.

Last week's anniversary colonoscopy revealed squeaky-clean, if abbreviated, innards. Both my excellent surgeon and my oncologist are pleased. They'll continue to keep an eye on me, of course, per protocol.

Again, this is offered in hopes other readers can derive benefit as I have from those who have come before me.

Wishing health to all!
F 55 at Dx
Dx rectal cancer 7/22/2015
LAR with temp ileostomy 8/31/2015: T1N0M0
Ileostomy reversal 11/30/2015
NED 7/15/2016
Work full time, physically active
Wife, mom of two sons now 25 and 21 plus cats and dogs, daughter, sister
Wicked Brazilian samba-reggae drummer
So far, so good

C2WAVE2

Re: Two years since Dx: a report for encouragement