Why should I feel worse after this treatment

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JudiB

Why should I feel worse after this treatment

Postby JudiB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:48 am

I've just finished my 9th folfox (no oxi since 4th). Following the last treatment, I felt great.. joked that maybe I had a placebo! This time I feel rotten, dizzy, tired, digestive pains and a bit weepy and just not like me. I have little energy... last time we danced, went walking and I felt great. I really thought that I had this chemo sorted once the oxi was stopped.
I'm wondering why this time should be so different. The only difference I can think of is that it's been unbelievably hot here. I'm wondering if this might affect the rate at which the drugs are metabolised.
Have other folks found that the way they feel differs after some treatments?
I just can't wait for this to end and I take my hat off to those of you who do years of chemo....makes my discomfort seem like nothing.
Love and hugs to everyone on this journey.
Xxx
May 2004 Breast cancer lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen 5 years, then Femara 2 years.

Jan 2017 resection around colo-rectal junction
T2bN1 M0
March 2017 Chemo Folfox started. Oxaliplatin for 4 treatments, then just 5 FU and Leucovorin for remaining 8 treatments.
June 2017 clear scan
Last chemo August 2017
August 2017 clear scan
February 2018 clear scan

Tdubz

Re: Why should I feel worse after this treatment

Postby Tdubz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:55 am

It's so funny that you posted this today. I'm just finishing up treatment week 4 and have been thinking this was the easiest one so far. I hope for you that you return to your previous results. I'm still expecting a rollercoaster ride for my last 8 lol.

sammer718

Postby sammer718 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:58 am

I did my fourth round of folfiri + Avastin this week and I feel awful. I got my pump out Wednesday along with some hydration and this morning I am back in the chair getting more hydration.

I have zero energy and I'm so exhausted. I'm supposed to have two more treatments and then a pet scan to determine if it's working. It all just feels overwhelming and like there is no end in sight. Having a hard time being positive.
30 year old female, currently Stage IV
09/2015: Stage IIIc colon cancer. Sigmoid colon resection, removal of tumor.
10/2015-03/2016:12 FOLFOX treatments.
NED until 04/2017: Found enlarged lymph nodes in peritoneal cavity.
05/2017-10/2017: 12 FOLFIRI + Avastin treatments.
NED again until 05/2018: Same enlarged lymph nodes in peritoneal cavity.
Currently doing FOLFIRI + Erbitux.

TXLiz

Postby TXLiz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:17 am

From my chemo experience, it seemed to me it felt like it was a cumulative effect.

Each round got harder. The first 2 or 3 were vaguely irritating.

Then, the side effects began to linger and become more pronounced. Instead of a "good" week in between the treatment, it would be a few "good" days.

At the end I felt like a pack animal lugging my pump around- going into a store was like going up a mountain.

One time, my daughter visited, and she wanted to go to Target. The experience was almost miserable.

It just wears you down.

Indeed, the chemo for lifers have my upmost respect. I hope, should that be me someday, I can appreciate and approach life with the same courage and strength.

Also- right now, you are giving this disease the kitchen sink. Give it hell.

I am sorry for all those struggling. Before I went through it, chemo sounded menacing and uncomfortable. But for some people, it can really bring misery. My poor family tried to understand, but I think unless that sweet sweet poison has been pumped through your veins, you can't comprehend. I told them it's like having the flu in monthly cycles.

My sympathies to you guys, and good wishes, too.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

JudiB

Postby JudiB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:53 am

Just felt I had to respond to sammer... I had a rough time with the first 4 ...felt the light at the end of the tunnel was just too far away... I lost who I was and felt I couldn't take much more. Reading how you are feeling reminded me how horrible I felt back then. Yes, today I feel rubbish but I have had some treatments with minimal effects...so feeling rough this time was a surprise. Sammer...we will get through this stuff and you will soon be counting down to the last one like me. After half way, it's easier to see the end.
For everyone feeling rubbish today big hugs from someone else feeling the same!
Xxxx
May 2004 Breast cancer lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen 5 years, then Femara 2 years.

Jan 2017 resection around colo-rectal junction
T2bN1 M0
March 2017 Chemo Folfox started. Oxaliplatin for 4 treatments, then just 5 FU and Leucovorin for remaining 8 treatments.
June 2017 clear scan
Last chemo August 2017
August 2017 clear scan
February 2018 clear scan

sammer718

Postby sammer718 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanks JudiB. Today has been a rough one for sure.
30 year old female, currently Stage IV
09/2015: Stage IIIc colon cancer. Sigmoid colon resection, removal of tumor.
10/2015-03/2016:12 FOLFOX treatments.
NED until 04/2017: Found enlarged lymph nodes in peritoneal cavity.
05/2017-10/2017: 12 FOLFIRI + Avastin treatments.
NED again until 05/2018: Same enlarged lymph nodes in peritoneal cavity.
Currently doing FOLFIRI + Erbitux.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”