Reversal Qeustions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maelleous

Reversal Qeustions

Postby Maelleous » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 am

I get my last CT scan for the clinical trial I am in on July 6th, praying all is still clear, and then I will have my reversal done. I asked he doctor about a colonoscopy etc and he responded:

"Since you can't be prepped a follow colonoscopy would be done after stoma closure. Prior to closure a flex sig and gastrograffin enema is required."

The Research Oncologist in the trial I am in states they could see if the cancer returned on the CT, but I was under the impression they could only see it if it is larger and a colonoscopy is the only way they actually could see if the rectal cancer has returned?

Can anyone let me know how the procedures are?

Also after the reversal do you still need to stay on a low residue diet? I pretty much eat what I want now, but still haven't risked a full salad or anything. I am soooo looking forward to getting back to being extremely healthy.
M 35 yr
DX Rectal Cancer, 10/16 (symptoms Feb 2016)
Dx stage 2 - Surgery Oct 25 201 Loop ileo w/ j-pouch
Close margins within 1mm
9/38 lymph nodes involved on path / Stg IIIc,pT4, pN2 B, p.M0. MSS, K‐ras, NRAS, no mutation
Started Folfox - 3rd Treament, Dec 30th 2016 Cardiac Arrest - Lucky to be part of the 6% to survive!
S-ICD installed / Port Removed
Vaccine Clinical trial at UPMC - last shot June 2017
Reversal 8/1/17 - Praying this is it!
Still NED

Maelleous

Re: Reversal Qeustions

Postby Maelleous » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:57 am

Edit: I know what the flex sig is.
M 35 yr
Close margins within 1mm
9/38 lymph nodes involved on path / Stg IIIc,pT4, pN2 B, p.M0. MSS, K‐ras, NRAS, no mutation
Started Folfox - 3rd Treament, Dec 30th 2016 Cardiac Arrest - Lucky to be part of the 6% to survive!
Still NED

juliej

Postby juliej » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Yes, you would need your reversal before your colonoscopy. The flex sig and gastrografin enema is commonly called a "leak test" and is the last step before reversing your ileostomy. Once you pass that test, the reversal surgery can be done. A colonoscopy is usually done one year following your CRC surgery.

After the reversal surgery, the first few weeks can be challenging so a low residue diet is recommended for awhile. Your GI doc should be able to give you info on how to slowly start adding fiber to your diet. Make sure you have a supply of baby wipes, Imodium, Colace, Senokot, and lots of soft toilet paper! :D

There are several threads on this forum with diaries of reversals. You might read some of them to see different experiences. I'm a few years from my reversal and can eat anything I want, including fruit, popcorn, etc. However, the first few months were pretty rough. If a particular food causes a problem (like diarrhea), wait a few weeks and then reintroduce it. Your gut needs time to get used to digesting different kinds of food again. Also, you might ask your doc about taking probiotics to repopulate the good bacteria in your intestines. That seems to help a lot with digestive issues.

Hope this helps!
Julie
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

del

Postby del » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:32 am

Maelleous wrote:The Research Oncologist in the trial I am in states they could see if the cancer returned on the CT, but I was under the impression they could only see it if it is larger and a colonoscopy is the only way they actually could see if the rectal cancer has returned?

CTs are for detecting metastases (lungs, liver, etc) whereas colonoscopies are for detecting local recurrences. I am sure you will get both as part of your follow-up protocol.
Male, 33 @ dx, stage 1 RC (T1N0M0 mod. diff. 0/29 LNs)
2016-02 - Cancerous polyp removed during colonscopy, 0.5 mm margin
2016-03 - ULAR & TME surgery, temp ileostomy
2016-04 - DVT, pulmonary embolism
2016-11 - Ileostomy reversal
2018-10 - Another DVT & PE
2021 - 5 years of clean scopes/scans/bloods

Maelleous

Postby Maelleous » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:47 am

Thanks everyone.

@del -- I was told by the Research Oncologist at UPMC said would be able to see on the CT scans local reoccurance if it was a certain size, but that does seem to fly in the face of what I have been told other times.
M 35 yr
Close margins within 1mm
Still NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”