Stage 3A Rectal Adenocarcinoma, age 77

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Stage 3A Rectal Adenocarcinoma, age 77

Postby ocstacy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:56 am

Hi all,

I am writing on behalf of my mother who is 77 recently diagnosed last May 9, 2017. I am so glad there are support blogs on here cause I am learning new things each day, such as what time to take the meds, hand/mouth sore, etc. My mom got diagnosed two months ago by colonoscopy after 8 -9 years from her last one. Her symptoms were constipation, pain in abdomen, fatigue, feeling cold,inability to go BM, and blood in stool. I demanded that my mom go to Dr asap after all those signs and symptoms.
I picked her up from her colonscopy appt and the dr. just flat out told me that she had cancer and it didn't look good and that she will most likely have a colostomy. It was a lot to take in and I was devastated! I had to switch my mom to MEDI - MEDI as I never knew in a million years that she would ever have cancer as it doesn't run in our family. My biggest concern is that my mom has osteoporosis and I'm afraid the radiation will make her bones weak or fracture.

After meeting with a nice USC colorectal surgeon (which I researched the best in the west, performs 3D laparascopy surgery)and USC oncologist. The surgeon mentioned that my mom would probably have a temp colostomy but he could save her rectum but she will have less control than before (sphincter muscles won't be as strong) Two weeks ago, my mom had to do this intense MRI where she had to do an enema, and inject KY jelly up her rectum and vagina. This MRI detects the stage of cancer and where it is in the lymphs. I had to assist her with all these things which of course I will do anything for my mama. After that, it was declared that she had stage 3A and the Dr wants to do the neoadjuvent chemo/radiation therapy combo for 6 weeks straight Mon-Fri. She will take 1300 mg of Xoloda a day once in a.m one in pm, with radiation involved daily mon-fri. She weighs 116 pounds. By the way, I used to work in the rad onc. building and I saw lot of patients coming in and out for their tx and there all so weak. I have some questions for those who have the same diagnosis and doing the Neoadjuvant therapy:

1. How did you tolerate chemo/radiation? What week was the hardest? What were side effects and complaints?
2. If you could suggest anything to me to help my mom prior, what can I get her or prepare her for? Such as medicine timing or food, etc. socks, ointments, lotions, mouth wash, Ensure drinks, chapsticks?
3. How much weight did you lose and did you tolerate the surgery and chemo after?
4. I am planning on getting pregnant this year, I heard that I should stay away from the chemo drug. Should she or myself wear gloves while handing? I am concerned.
5. Does the anti nausea meds really work? Her dr. prescribed two kinds- Prochlorperazine and Ondansetron HCL, which ones worked for you?
6. Did you lose any hair?

Thank you,
Stacy
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

ashima2016

Re: Stage 3A Rectal Adenocarcinoma, age 77

Postby ashima2016 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:23 am

ocstacy wrote:Hi all,

1. How did you tolerate chemo/radiation? What week was the hardest? What were side effects and complaints? ==> Folfox was a bit tough. 5FU was a lot more tolerable.
2. If you could suggest anything to me to help my mom prior, what can I get her or prepare her for? Such as medicine timing or food, etc. socks, ointments, lotions, mouth wash, Ensure drinks, chapsticks? ==> Bought the kids version of toothpaste, mini hand sanitizer, lemon ginger candies, masks, blanket, chapsticks. Didn't use a lot of those, but it gave me a lot of ease of mind.
3. How much weight did you lose and did you tolerate the surgery and chemo after? ==> Not much weight change for hubby. He might gained a couple.
4. I am planning on getting pregnant this year, I heard that I should stay away from the chemo drug. Should she or myself wear gloves while handing? I am concerned. ==> There is always risk of leaking if a port and a pump are involved. After she pees, flush twice.
5. Does the anti nausea meds really work? Her dr. prescribed two kinds- Prochlorperazine and Ondansetron HCL, which ones worked for you? ==> Yes. Take them before the nausea started. Keep her hydrated. Everyone is different, but Xeloda shouldn't be too bad.
6. Did you lose any hair? ==> Hubby didn't. Was on Folfox.

Thank you,
Stacy

See my responses.

Beckster

Postby Beckster » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:17 am

ocstacy wrote:Hi all,

I am writing on behalf of my mother who is 77 recently diagnosed last May 9, 2017. I am so glad there are support blogs on here cause I am learning new things each day, such as what time to take the meds, hand/mouth sore, etc. My mom got diagnosed two months ago by colonoscopy after 8 -9 years from her last one. Her symptoms were constipation, pain in abdomen, fatigue, feeling cold,inability to go BM, and blood in stool. I demanded that my mom go to Dr asap after all those signs and symptoms.
I picked her up from her colonscopy appt and the dr. just flat out told me that she had cancer and it didn't look good and that she will most likely have a colostomy. It was a lot to take in and I was devastated! I had to switch my mom to MEDI - MEDI as I never knew in a million years that she would ever have cancer as it doesn't run in our family. My biggest concern is that my mom has osteoporosis and I'm afraid the radiation will make her bones weak or fracture.

After meeting with a nice USC colorectal surgeon (which I researched the best in the west, performs 3D laparascopy surgery)and USC oncologist. The surgeon mentioned that my mom would probably have a temp colostomy but he could save her rectum but she will have less control than before (sphincter muscles won't be as strong) Two weeks ago, my mom had to do this intense MRI where she had to do an enema, and inject KY jelly up her rectum and vagina. This MRI detects the stage of cancer and where it is in the lymphs. I had to assist her with all these things which of course I will do anything for my mama. After that, it was declared that she had stage 3A and the Dr wants to do the neoadjuvent chemo/radiation therapy combo for 6 weeks straight Mon-Fri. She will take 1300 mg of Xoloda a day once in a.m one in pm, with radiation involved daily mon-fri. She weighs 116 pounds. By the way, I used to work in the rad onc. building and I saw lot of patients coming in and out for their tx and there all so weak. I have some questions for those who have the same diagnosis and doing the Neoadjuvant therapy:

1. How did you tolerate chemo/radiation? What week was the hardest? What were side effects and complaints?
2. If you could suggest anything to me to help my mom prior, what can I get her or prepare her for? Such as medicine timing or food, etc. socks, ointments, lotions, mouth wash, Ensure drinks, chapsticks?
3. How much weight did you lose and did you tolerate the surgery and chemo after?
4. I am planning on getting pregnant this year, I heard that I should stay away from the chemo drug. Should she or myself wear gloves while handing? I am concerned.
5. Does the anti nausea meds really work? Her dr. prescribed two kinds- Prochlorperazine and Ondansetron HCL, which ones worked for you?
6. Did you lose any hair?

Thank you,
Stacy

Hi Stacy,

I can only give you a response on Xeloda. I just finished 6 months of Xeloda, 1500 in the am and 1500 pm. I never needed any anti nausea medicine and gained 10 pounds. It did not interfere with my appetite, in fact, I feel that eating more often counterbalanced the nausea. Hand and foot are going to be the worse side effect. Buy Utterly Smooth or a good moisturizer and have her put it on her hand and bottom of the feet every day. I would put it on my feet after taking a shower or bath and put on cotton socks until I went to bed. I still got it, but with a dose adjustment, it was doable. Other side effects were: running nose, eyes tearing, heartburn and a little diarrhea; however, they were all doable and I learned how to control it. Last put not least, keep the pills separate from other medicines. They are coated and I nor my family had any problem.

Hope this helps with at least 1/2 of your question.
57/F
DX:(CC) 10/19/16
11/4/16- Lap right hemi(cecum)
CEA- Pre Op (1.9), Pre Chemo (2.5)
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size:3.5 cm x 2.5 x 0.7 cm
Grade: G3
TNM: T3N0M0/IIA
LN: 0/24
LVI present
Surgical margins: clear
MSS
12/27/2016 - Capeox, anaphylactic
1/2/17 to 6/9/17- Xeloda
6/17,12/17,6/18,12/18,6/19,12/19,12/20,12/21 CT Scan NED :D
CEA- 6/17- 3.6, 9/17- 2.8 12/17-2.8, 3/18-3.1, 6/18-3.0, 9/18 2.8, 12/18 2.5 3/19 3.1 6/19 3.1 9/19 2.6 12/19 2.8 6/20 3.0 12/20 2.7 6/21 2.9,[color=#000000]12/21 2.7[/color]
Clear Colonoscopy 10/17, 11/19,11/21 :D

ocstacy
Facebook Username: stacy

Postby ocstacy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:18 am

Thank you so much for all of your help. I was reading with Xoloda that it's best if you take it with gloves on and not touch it. I plan on having another baby and I will not be touching her meds but they seem very sensitive and harmful if touched. I am happy to hear that you didn't lose weight but actually gained. did you take the med 1/2 hour after breakfast?

We are extremely happy with the oncologist, surgeon, and rad onc. dr. All are pretty well known and have great reviews!
Caregiver/daughter to dear mother age 78, dx 5/09/17 because of me!! :wink:
Rectal CA Stage 3 low-grade adenocarcinoma- 6 cm
Neoadjuvant start 7/10/17 ended 08/16/17
3D Lap. surgery @ Keck USC, Dr. Sang Lee 10/17/17 temp ileostomy
11/1 hospitalized abscess/hernia - home 11/06/17 antibiotics
NO LYMPHS INVOLVED! NEAR PATHOLOGICAL RESPONSE! YAY! :shock:
Took her last chemo med 05/10/18! Ileo reversal 07/24/18
1st BM after reversal 07/25/18 Anal Fissure 8/15/18
Me:1st Colonoscopy age 38. 08/17 Benign polp.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”