granix extreme bone pain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
benben

granix extreme bone pain

Postby benben » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:24 pm

I got my first Granix (neupogen) shot yesterday to up my diminished white blood cell count, and only experience a mild pain in my right hip for like 30 minutes.
Today I received my second shot and 6 hours later started getting pain in my lower spine near my herniated discs and a mild elevated temp of 99.7. I put a cold water towel on my head and laid down on the floor in coolest part of my home. Within 30 more minutes the pain was unbearable to the point where I could barely stand or walk and even laying down was writhing all over the place. Seriously the most pain I've experienced in my life and I have a pretty high pain threshold. I called on call doc at hematology clinic and happened to get my own Onc. He told me bone pain is normal. I said , well in the past hour I've experienced more pain than my entire surgical experience including recovery and asked if there was anything I could do to help relieve the pain. They had suggested claritan which I'd been using for past 3 days, but that obviously wasn't working. He asked if I had any pain relievers and I said yeah, I only took 1 pill post surgery so I have some codeine or oxycodone. He told me to take one, I wasn't sure which one he said cause for some reason whenever I reach him on the phone it's like talking through a tin can with string to India. I went ahead and took an oxycodone about an hour ago. Pain level has reduced from about a 10 to 7/8 - but still intense.

Anyone else experience this, tips, suggestions ?

UGGG :(
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Teachergirl

Re: granix extreme bone pain

Postby Teachergirl » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 am

I have the shot almost every treatment and sometimes it's better than other times. I never know. My nurses have me take anti inflammatory along with the Claritin. I take two every 12 hours and then Claritin once every 24. I would ask my onc or the nurses about that as well. I also take the Claritin and other pills right away. Even a little before I get the shot. If I wait until I get home it's too late. Try to stay ahead of it. Hope you find some relief.
Dx dec 2016/ 43 yrs old
Tumor removal Jan 2017
Dx stage three/ 2 lymph nodes out of 12
Started folfox feb 2017
Stopped oxi after 8 cycles

benben

Postby benben » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:56 am

Teachergirl wrote:I have the shot almost every treatment and sometimes it's better than other times. I never know. My nurses have me take anti inflammatory along with the Claritin. I take two every 12 hours and then Claritin once every 24. I would ask my onc or the nurses about that as well. I also take the Claritin and other pills right away. Even a little before I get the shot. If I wait until I get home it's too late. Try to stay ahead of it. Hope you find some relief.

thanks teachergirl.
I had taken 1 claritin as box dose suggested every morning for past 3 days. Shots were given just an hour or so later both days.
They have me scheduled to take shot day before chemo for my remaining treatments. Insurance says I have to switch to Zarzio - biosimilar.

my pain level is down to about 5/6 now so oxycodone certainly helped - but got another problem occurring.
Temperature has been regulating between 99.7 to 100.9 for past hour. Considering calling on call doc again.
Will monitor for another 30 minutes.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

benben

Postby benben » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:57 pm

So, last night monitored fever and finally placed call to ONC as 12:30 am because fever was holding 100.4 + for couple hours.
He told me to just get some sleep and come in at regular time next morning to suss things out. I tossed and turned all night as the oxycodone wore off the bone pain intensified back to 7/8 region. Would pass out for a few minutes only to awaken from throbbing spine. Eventually I slept for one 1.5 hour block. When I woke fever was down to 99. After getting up and showering I felt ok for not having much sleep. 9:45 went in for blood draw then back in at 10:45 to meet with Onc.

It was a good meeting with Onc. I went over everything with him from Asco reduction of standard 12 to 6 treatments to every supplement I was taking. He scratched over half the supplements. He said he wasn't really big on most supps with exception of D3. co-Q10 was also ok. I discussed the use of THC and CBD and he didn't think they had anything to do with lower WBC and told me to go back to using as they reduced my nausea, increased my overall sense of wellbeing, and mostly increased my appetite. I had lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks, weighing in at a meager 163 lbs. Down from 183 lbs pre-surgery.

Lastly - treatment was delayed. Even after the bone wrenching Granix experience my WBC came back a measly 420 (HAH). Down 630 from last treatment.
He seemed to think the Granix was probably just a bit delayed and may take a couple days. He said he thought about giving me another injection today, but remembered the telephone calls I made to him and the hell I experienced. I said, well if you want to give me another shot - prepare yourself for another long night of phone calls. Hah!

He told me my body is responding too aggressively to the chemo and is going to reduce my Folfox to 90% of normal dose and said he wouldn't be afraid to reduce an additional 10% if my counts don't rebound.

As for Asco 12 to 6 reduction in standard. He said that he rather agreed with the reduction, but that if someone is doing well with treatment count wise and neuropathy wise - he would continue to pursue the current 12 treatment standard until the standard actually becomes 6 as in his experience the outcomes of increased treatments tends to yield slightly better results. For me personally he said, well we can discuss reduction to 6 treatments, but first you must actually complete 6 treatments. He said it would be some time before 6 becomes standard as they must undergo 1 more trial with similar results before it would become standard.

So I got to come home, nuke a microwave mac and cheese, get a big cup of iced gatorade and crash. Slept a good 4-5 hours as the bone pain had subsided completely shortly after blood draw.
Last edited by benben on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Brearmstrong

Postby Brearmstrong » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Sorry you are going through this! I too have had low WBC from folfox and had to delay rounds 2 and three. I had three daily shots of neuprogen and experienced terrible bone pain. My oncologist warned me that it might feel like I am having a heart attack- wow, fun! Claritin doesn't seem to work for me either and I always run a fever as well. They did have to reduce my folfox dosage and now I get one neulasta shot after pump is removed. First two times were terrible but instead of bone pain, it is as if all my muscles fill with lactic acid. 48 hours later it is gone. The side effects are worse then the chemo ones! I also take cbd and thc and is the only relief I can find. My numbers are still barely high enough to continue which is so disheartening but if it helps, the last neulasta shot last week barely caused any muscle or bone pain! Not sure why but it may get easier for you. Maybe they can switch you to neulasta over neuprogen?
50 F diag 1/17
Muc Adeno 4cm
mod diff G2 T4aN2
nodes 8/50
CEA 4.6 after surgery <.05
KRAS G12D MSS
FOLFOX Apr-sep 17
Nov 17 PET p aortic nodes Stage IV
Folfori w/avastin
May 18 surgery on nodes xeloda 2yr
Aug 18-May 20 NED
July 20 hysterectomy
July 21 vats right lung
Clinical trial- failed liver Mets biopsy shows now poorly differentiated carcinoma.
HAI pump at MSK may 2022
Nov met to pancreas- causing pain
Radiation ablation to pancreas Dec 22
New lung Mets watch and wait

benben

Postby benben » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:01 am

Brearmstrong wrote:Sorry you are going through this! I too have had low WBC from folfox and had to delay rounds 2 and three. I had three daily shots of neuprogen and experienced terrible bone pain. My oncologist warned me that it might feel like I am having a heart attack- wow, fun! Claritin doesn't seem to work for me either and I always run a fever as well. They did have to reduce my folfox dosage and now I get one neulasta shot after pump is removed. First two times were terrible but instead of bone pain, it is as if all my muscles fill with lactic acid. 48 hours later it is gone. The side effects are worse then the chemo ones! I also take cbd and thc and is the only relief I can find. My numbers are still barely high enough to continue which is so disheartening but if it helps, the last neulasta shot last week barely caused any muscle or bone pain! Not sure why but it may get easier for you. Maybe they can switch you to neulasta over neuprogen?

Thanks for your response Brearmstrong. It's always good to hear from someone having some similar reactions.
Thankfully I didn't experience any bone pain in the chest region, so wasn't fearing a heart attack. I am concerned with heart as well, my bpm have gone up from my regular 80-85 to 115 last meeting.
I'm curious about a couple things.

1) In your experience is the Neulesta muscle/bone pain worse or less than the neupogen?
2) Did they switch you to Neulesta because of non result of neupogen?
3) you said your WBC was still running low even with these shots, what number range are you running? Are these taken hour before hookup, or are they taken sometime in the cycle? - I'm really curious as to what mine are running during Nadir.
4) how many treatments have you had now?

I agree for sure that the bone pain with granix is certainly way worse than any chemo side effects I've experienced so far - at least in pain dept.
I feel for you with the continued need for the WBC treatments and pain that they cause.

thanks again for feedback.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Brearmstrong

Postby Brearmstrong » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks for your response Brearmstrong. It's always good to hear from someone having some similar reactions.
Thankfully I didn't experience any bone pain in the chest region, so wasn't fearing a heart attack. I am concerned with heart as well, my bpm have gone up from my regular 80-85 to 115 last meeting.
I'm curious about a couple things.

1) In your experience is the Neulesta muscle/bone pain worse or less than the neupogen?
2) Did they switch you to Neulesta because of non result of neupogen?
3) you said your WBC was still running low even with these shots, what number range are you running? Are these taken hour before hookup, or are they taken sometime in the cycle? - I'm really curious as to what mine are running during Nadir.
4) how many treatments have you had now?

1) My pain was much worse with the nuepogen but I had three shots, three days in a row because my counts were so low. They then went flying up to 12 from a 1. I need a 3 for them to give me chemo but it was the fighter white cells (neutrofils I think they are called- sorry not looking at my chart at the moment) that were really low, like less than 1 so that's what caused me to have to delay treatment AND reduce dosage.

2)No, from what I was told, the nuepogen is for immediate effect while neulesta shots have to be taken at least a week before next cycle. Not sure why. They give me the shot right when they disconnect the pump and the pain starts the next morning for about 48 hours. Oops, see I answered your next question already.
3) I have had 5 treatments so far with the 2nd and 3rd delayed one week. The fifth round I just BARELY got approved and that was without a week delay and with the shot and reduced dosage. It's very frustrating because they reduced dosage and still not cooperating. I hope you get some positive improvement in your numbers!! Keep me posted.
Brenda
50 F diag 1/17
Muc Adeno 4cm
mod diff G2 T4aN2
nodes 8/50
CEA 4.6 after surgery <.05
KRAS G12D MSS
FOLFOX Apr-sep 17
Nov 17 PET p aortic nodes Stage IV
Folfori w/avastin
May 18 surgery on nodes xeloda 2yr
Aug 18-May 20 NED
July 20 hysterectomy
July 21 vats right lung
Clinical trial- failed liver Mets biopsy shows now poorly differentiated carcinoma.
HAI pump at MSK may 2022
Nov met to pancreas- causing pain
Radiation ablation to pancreas Dec 22
New lung Mets watch and wait

benben

Postby benben » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Brearmstrong wrote:3) I have had 5 treatments so far with the 2nd and 3rd delayed one week. The fifth round I just BARELY got approved and that was without a week delay and with the shot and reduced dosage. It's very frustrating because they reduced dosage and still not cooperating. I hope you get some positive improvement in your numbers!! Keep me posted.
Brenda

Thanks Brenda for your info.
I came in to clinic today (still here). Yes my neutrophils came up to 1660. So the granix worked, just took a couple days to kick in.
While it's still low considering my initial treatment they were 4500, the ONC said go chemo. I had some signs of kidney stress back on labs.
I'd guess this was also mostly granix shot related, that and I didn't drink the normal 120 ounces of water yesterday. Probably only made about 80 ounces.
They said labs looked like I was dehydrated so they pumped me with 2 bags of saline. Now taking in the Olaxi with dextrose at 90% dosage. Did you have any experience with other labs getting bunk from the neupogen shot?
This is treatment #3 for me today. Fun Fun!
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

mozart13

Postby mozart13 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:52 pm

I get lower spine pain with Gastrofil, just different brand, feels like some one is pulling my bones apart, usually take half extra strength tylenol, and pain goes away, I sweat for few nights, like body is fighting something, had 4 folfox so far, had to delay 4th one and 5th will happen one week latter, was suppose to happen this week, but will happen next week.
Lab results are down in boots.
Kidney results are fine, I take nettle tea second week to flush my kidneys.
Also watermellon is my new friend, keeps me hydrated.

Alerady have numbness in tips of fingers thats not going away, so my dose will be changed next week, most likley will be getting xeloda only down the road, but I am usually very sensitive to any meds. Find that 4th and 5th day are hardest, feel so tired.
55 year at the time of diagnosis, male
Diagnosed with T1,T2 N0 M0 rectal cancer
Total neoadjuvant therapy or TNT (chemoradiation followed by systemic chemotherapy)
Negative since Feb. '17
No surgery
Watch&Wait approach 8)
I don’t come much to the forum , so if this is not updated it means I remain negative!
Wish good luck to all!

benben

Postby benben » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:47 am

mozart13 wrote:I get lower spine pain with Gastrofil, just different brand, feels like some one is pulling my bones apart, usually take half extra strength tylenol, and pain goes away, I sweat for few nights, like body is fighting something, had 4 folfox so far, had to delay 4th one and 5th will happen one week latter, was suppose to happen this week, but will happen next week.
Lab results are down in boots.
Kidney results are fine, I take nettle tea second week to flush my kidneys.
Also watermellon is my new friend, keeps me hydrated.

Alerady have numbness in tips of fingers thats not going away, so my dose will be changed next week, most likley will be getting xeloda only down the road, but I am usually very sensitive to any meds. Find that 4th and 5th day are hardest, feel so tired.

Thanks for feedback Mozart13. I also had night sweats for 2-3 nights after granix. That probably contributed to the dehydration they saw in kidney levels.
I'll look into the nettle tea. My Onc kinda poo-poos sups.

He nixed the following sups I was taking:
Milk Thistle Dandelion (was taking to try and promote healthy liver function).
Vit C (I broke down and took 4000 mg last night as I was having sneezing - assuming result of chemo, but heard lots of nurses sneezing and hacking at the cancer center and they were not wearing masks!)
Vit A
Omega 3 Fish Oil
L-Glutamine for muscle and immune function
Turmeric - again for healthy liver function.

He told me to keep the following:
Selenium 200 mcg
Omeprazole 20 mg
D3 2000 mg
One a day Multi
CoQ-10 for immune and cardio

I too am sensitive to Meds. Always been a light weight when it came to chemicals in the system.
Hope treatments fair better for the both of us.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

benben

Postby benben » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 am

Well I'll post an update with the Granix (now Zarzio).
After round 3, I was given 2 zarzio shots spaced out - 1 five days before treatment and a second 2 days before treatment. Results were much better - only mild pain I'd rate 2/3 in the lower spine for about 2-3 hours.
I only used CBD and THC for pain relief. Took CBD before receiving shots and a low dose THC/CBD within another hour of receiving shots. I didn't take claritin as I read that it's hard on kidneys and my kidneys at round 3 where showing signs of stress as well as my liver enzymes were slightly elevated. At blood draw beginning of round 4, my overall white blood count had spiked to 11500 and neutrophils jumped to 5500. I was elated, my ONC thought we could reduce to 1 shot 2 days prior to treatment 5 given how much they had increased.

Treatment 5 was yesterday, Blood draws were great with exception of the ANC count again had dropped to 770. My onc, as I said before is aggressive and decided I should go forward with treatment even though the house threshold is 1000.
I will get my pump disconnected friday, probably sleep for most of the next 2 days and then my off week I'll be getting 3 zarzio shots. At first they wanted to schedule them back to back mon-fri. I argued it'd be better for a bit of spacing, both for my bone pain and so that the final dose is closer to my next treatment which will be #6 (yaye). My off weeks I treasure cause I know day 3-5, I'm pretty much wasted - in bed sleeping and waking constitutes downing a bottle of 17 oz of water and maybe eating some crackers or tossing a quick organic mac n cheese in microwave. I generally start to get better on day 6, but still quite fatigued. By day 7/8 I usually feel close to normal and by day 9 I feel back to normal on energy levels.
This time around may be different with all the zarzio shots.

I put this on another thread, but thought it might be more relevant in this thread as it is specific to neutropenia, which is why we are getting these damned bone crushing shots.
I got very little info about neutropenic precautions at my cancer center and found this document from Ohio State University much more informative on the steps we should be taking in order minimize chances of infection.

https://patienteducation.osumc.edu/Documents/Low_WBC_Precautions.pdf
Last edited by benben on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 am

benben wrote:[
. . . that and I didn't drink the normal 120 ounces of water yesterday. Probably only made about 80 ounces.
They said labs looked like I was dehydrated so they pumped me with 2 bags of saline. !

Good luck with those shots, sounds very painful.

Just want to stress, drinks LOTS of liquids days prior to chemo and days on chemo. Dehydration can become a serious medical problem. When I was on chemo (FOLFOX was brand new) many people were ending up in the ER was a host of medical problems only to determine they were dehydrated. So really try to stay ahead of that.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

benben

Postby benben » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Lee wrote:
benben wrote:[
. . . that and I didn't drink the normal 120 ounces of water yesterday. Probably only made about 80 ounces.
They said labs looked like I was dehydrated so they pumped me with 2 bags of saline. !

Good luck with those shots, sounds very painful.

Just want to stress, drinks LOTS of liquids days prior to chemo and days on chemo. Dehydration can become a serious medical problem. When I was on chemo (FOLFOX was brand new) many people were ending up in the ER was a host of medical problems only to determine they were dehydrated. So really try to stay ahead of that.

Good luck,

Lee

Yep, since that treatment a couple treatments ago. I've been makin sure to get 120-150 oz of water a day in me.
It has helped a lot with flushing things out and keeping me feeling better.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:56 pm

benben wrote:Anyone else experience this, tips, suggestions ?

benben, Bed Buddy may help take your pain down a notch. At the very least they felt soothing for an investment of $15 to $20 a piece that is not a drug. I got them from Walgreens.

I used to cover my DH in those Bed Buddies that you heat up in the nuker on DH, legs, arms, back for bone pain, though he did not have cancer in the bones, they ached/bone pain from chemo. He used to say: "Oh, that hurts so good." I had all shapes & sizes...could have bought stock in the company. Even had a small one for the forehead. You can get them anywhere,Walmart, Walgreens, Amazon.com. My DSS had mCRC w/metastasis to his rib, used one on him for the back pain, sent it home w/him. It helped, that the very next day he went & bought several more. May/may not help take the edge off for what the meds don't do. At the very least, the warmth may just feel comforting/soothing from the moist heat.

Best Wishes
BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

benben

Postby benben » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 am

bitchslapped wrote:
benben wrote:Anyone else experience this, tips, suggestions ?

benben, Bed Buddy may help take your pain down a notch. At the very least they felt soothing for an investment of $15 to $20 a piece that is not a drug. I got them from Walgreens.

I used to cover my DH in those Bed Buddies that you heat up in the nuker on DH, legs, arms, back for bone pain, though he did not have cancer in the bones, they ached/bone pain from chemo. He used to say: "Oh, that hurts so good." I had all shapes & sizes...could have bought stock in the company. Even had a small one for the forehead. You can get them anywhere,Walmart, Walgreens, Amazon.com. My DSS had mCRC w/metastasis to his rib, used one on him for the back pain, sent it home w/him. It helped, that the very next day he went & bought several more. May/may not help take the edge off for what the meds don't do. At the very least, the warmth may just feel comforting/soothing from the moist heat.

Best Wishes
BS

Thank you BS. I know I had something similar before. I'll have to see if I can find it or just get a new one ordered.
I think that might help with the bone pain, at least feel a little soothing on the spine during the pain cycle.

Thankfully Monday shot went without pain, just some bone and muscle lethargy is what I call it. When the bones and muscle tissue just feel slack.
Second injection for this week is in about 1 hour. So time to get up and get ready for it. Hopefully it will not result in bonecrush.

cheers,
benben
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”