first Folfox - delayed reaction?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
betula

first Folfox - delayed reaction?

Postby betula » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:55 am

Hi all,

My 47 year old husband was diagnosed with rectal cancer. He had 28 days chemo (5 FU) and radiation, surgery which resulted in permanent colostomy and just had his first Folfox on June 1st. He seemed to do really well. First few days he had the metallic taste and some cold sensitivity but within a couple days that was over. He had been pretty active since then and but in the last two days has been nauseous and has had diarrhea. Since he has the colostomy we aren't totally sure if this is due to something he ate (was out to lunch three days last week), a stomach bug or the chemo. Has anyone experienced this sort of delayed reaction to Folfox?

I have learned much from this site prior to his surgery and I thank you all for sharing your information and especially humor!

Betula

Lee

Re: first Folfox - delayed reaction?

Postby Lee » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi and welcome

Sounds like DH has a flu type bug or bad food reaction. I would think of FOLFOX as week on (doing chemo) sick, tired, diarrhea, etc. And week off (no chemo) and felt most normal. If I understand correctly, your DH is sick during week off. Check for possible fever.

Hope he's better soon,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

JudiB

Postby JudiB » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:27 am

Betula, I am sorry that your husband has had a rough time following his first Folfox treatment. Nearly a week after my 7th Folfox, I developed similar symptoms to your husband's. I too assumed that my sickness was due to the treatment but when I spoke to the oncologist, he said that ge thought it was gastro-enteritis fron sonething I had eaten.
I think once we begin chemo, it's easy to blame everything on the treatment but we are still, even more so, vulnerable to the usual stuff that goes around!
I hope your husband feels better... I found those first few treatments cery tough but it does become easier.
Love and hugs. Xx
May 2004 Breast cancer lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen 5 years, then Femara 2 years.

Jan 2017 resection around colo-rectal junction
T2bN1 M0
March 2017 Chemo Folfox started. Oxaliplatin for 4 treatments, then just 5 FU and Leucovorin for remaining 8 treatments.
June 2017 clear scan
Last chemo August 2017
August 2017 clear scan
February 2018 clear scan

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:24 am

With each of my husbands folfox treatments, he was fine till about the 3,4th day after, then he would have a bit of all the symptoms. He was always fine on the day of treatment and a couple days after.

kellywin

Postby kellywin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:13 pm

No expert here, but could be the steroids wearing off. My first round I didn't feel too bad, but the steroids really made me want to claw off my skin - second round they cut the steroid in half and immediately I felt terrible.
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”