Hellooo Neuropathyiiiiiiiiiii

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
[Ana & Alex]

Re: Hellooo Neuropathyiiiiiiiiiii

Postby [Ana & Alex] » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 am

Thank you so much for all the good info and insight..
I'm getting ready to go for the third round tomorrow and this is the game plan:

Day -3: Granulocytes Grow Factor
Day -2: Granulocytes Grow Factor
Day -1: Preparing for Chemo xD

Day 1: Ondasetron + Dexa + Benadryl + Usal, reducing Oxa to 80%, infusion running over 5 hour-period. Natriumpicosulfat and Magnesium as laxatives.

Day 2 - 5/7: Ondasetron + Dexa, Haloperidol, Nosinan, Pantoprazol, Dronabinol (THC). Natriumpicosulfat and Magnesium.

After day 7: try to reduce and eliminate drugs as the side effects get better.

I'm really REALLY hoping that this time I can back to a relative normal after the first week and finally go back to my OncoWalking and to work and to some normality in my life. Oxaliplatin has been kicking my ass really really bad. If all of this doesn't work am asking to stop the Oxi and to try Irinotecan.

Anyone has experience with Irinotecan and Capecitabine?

Oh well, wish me luck :)
I'll keep you posted...

And thank you so much for the incredible support...

Trying to stay strong!
Ana
Last edited by [Ana & Alex] on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dx @ 29 yo. Mum (2 y.o.) & Wife

12/2016: Rectal AdenoCa G2. CEA 4.3. RAS Wild. MSS. IIIB.
01 - 03/2017: 28 RTx + CHT 2,5 g/d Capecit.
03 - 06/2017: Suplemments and Cimetidine.
05/2017: TME/TAMIS + permanent Colostomy CEA 0.5
05/2017: ypT2N2aM0 (4/15), good cCR, limited pCR
06 - 8/2017: 4x CapOx 3,5 g/d (2x Oxi reduced to 80%)
09 -11/2017: 3x Capecit. monotherapy 4g/d
12/2017: Aspirin, Vit. D3, Curcumin, Multivitamin.

benben

Postby benben » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:02 am

Hey Ana, Best of luck on this upcoming treatment.

I hope you get some relative calm during your off week. I know my off week doesn't look so good this next time.
I just had treatment 5 given to me, even though my ANC (neutrophils) were at 770, well below the cancer centers allotted 1000 minimum.
Yet they still decided it in my best interest to receive my dosage, saying I'm doing well with minimizing my risk of infection, but means I'll get 3 growth factor shots next week.
My bones are already cringing.

If you're having low WBC - especially the neutrophils, you may want to reconsider going to a gym or other crowded areas to avoid risk of infection.
Really if you just get out and walk 1-2 miles a day close to home, you'll reap the benefits of increased energy without the risk of picking up a bug at the gym.
I found this document the most informant about neutropenia and the steps to take to reduce risk of infection. It's like an additional 2-3 hours of work a day to do all the routines
necessary. If your center is like mine they give you very minimal information about neutropenia and the extra precautions you should take - especially food related.

https://patienteducation.osumc.edu/Documents/Low_WBC_Precautions.pdf - Ohio state university.

Keep strong, best wishes
benben
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

turtle

Postby turtle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm

[Ana & Alex] wrote:

Irinotecan causes rapid hair loss, much faster than FOLFOX does, but some hair remains. It also can cause urgent diarrhea at the infusion center, or the diarrhea comes as much as 5 days later after a constipated period, or not at all. Internally, the discomfort from the drug causes me anxiety for about 48 hours, which lorazepam and movement can help with. I wear protection in my underwear to catch incontinence.
Feb. 2015 at age 39: Dx stage IIIb cecal cancer extending into appendix
March 2015 at age 40: Began FOLFOX, discontinuing early after 10 cycles due to suicidal ideation and difficulty moving
Oct. 2016 at age 41: Dx stage IV with 3 metastases to lungs (one 3.7 cm x 2.2 cm) and 1 to liver
KRAS-mutation positive

LPL

Postby LPL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:22 pm

[Ana & Alex] wrote:

Hi Ana, I have no experience with this treatment but I have been reading a little about side effects and genes(tests), regarding different treatments. Maybe this paper is of interest for you?

From 2015
Irinotecan Therapy and UGT1A1 Genotype
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK294473/
"Variants of this gene, such as UGT1A1*28, are associated with reduced enzyme activity and an increased risk of irinotecan toxicity. "

Good Luck with your upcoming treatment session!
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

juliej

Postby juliej » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:18 pm

Ana, Oxaliplatin definitely kicks your butt so don't feel like you're whining! It's a tough drug by anyone's standards. It slaps you in the face, kicks you in the stomach, and zaps your fingers and toes while you're still lying on the floor, too weak to move or fight back. Lowering the dosage or even skipping one cycle completely can help.

[Ana & Alex] wrote:Anyone has experience with Irinotecan and Capecitabine?

Irinotecan has its problems too but, for most people, they aren't as severe as oxaliplatin. Hair thinning or hair loss is common. Diarrhea (it's called "I ran to the can" by oncology nurses for a reason) can be helped by a shot of Atropine during the infusion and a strict regime of Imodium afterwards (or Lomotil in serious cases).

I know you've probably heard the analogy by now but cancer really is a marathon. You have to be strong to get through it. You're feeling a lot of pain now because you're around mile 15, but know that if you reach the finish line at 26.2 miles, you’re going to feel so elated, so full of joy and a sense of achievement, that it’ll all be worth it.

Hugs to you,
Julie
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

[Ana & Alex]

Postby [Ana & Alex] » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Hi there 8) Just wanted to let you guys know that with the Oxi reduced to 80% I am a totally different person.

The first 3 days are over and with Emend everything is under control. The real challenge managing nausea starts today, because I can only take Emend during 3 days because of constipation and because I'm still dosing my THC dosis up to some real effect.

But everything else is really better, as if I were already a week after treatment: neuropathy, first bite, cold sensitivity, fatigue... Don't need to stay in Bed for the full day and I can play and interact with my daughter - that was the most important for my QoL at the moment.

So I'm really thankful for your tips and experiences, and for helping me gaining courage in taking this step forward. My oncologist swears that with this dosage I'm still getting full effect out of Oxi and so I hope. If this stays manageable the 7 rounds are very doable :)

Thank you for keeping me looking for and looking forward!
Love,
Ana

JudiB

Postby JudiB » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 am

Hello Ana, so glad to read that you are coping well now that the oxi dose is reduced. Great news!
You say you still have some nausea with the Emend...along with Emend, my onc prescribed prednisolone for days 3, 4 and 5 plus solupred for any break through nausea. At the worst time with the oxi, he also gave Zofran and I have had no nausea since then. Now, without oxi, I don't need the solupred or Zofran. Constipation is an issue but I'm never sure what is down to surgery and what is the chemo.
You're well on the way now... I have found the second half of treatment is going much more quickly than the early ones.
I have lost most of my hair but, on the positive side, I am having fun with my wigs! I've discovered that blondes really do have more fun!! When my energy levels are low, I don the blonde and enjoy a different view of life!
Spending positive time with your daughter sounds to be your biggest challenge but you're managing and this seems to be giving you such a boost. I have resolved to use my energy, when I have it, to do the things I love...sounds as though you are beginning to do the same!! Housework can wait until tomorrow, whereas spending time with the people we love can't and it provides such a morale boost...far more so than housework!!
Look after "you" so that you have the energy to have fun. This stuff is truly rubbish but we can still enjoy life and have fun.... if we use our energy wisely!!
Love and hugs and, as they say here in France "bon courage!"
Xxx
May 2004 Breast cancer lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen 5 years, then Femara 2 years.

Jan 2017 resection around colo-rectal junction
T2bN1 M0
March 2017 Chemo Folfox started. Oxaliplatin for 4 treatments, then just 5 FU and Leucovorin for remaining 8 treatments.
June 2017 clear scan
Last chemo August 2017
August 2017 clear scan
February 2018 clear scan

[Ana & Alex]

Postby [Ana & Alex] » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Dear JudiB, thank you so much for your reply.
Unfortunately I started to celebrate to soon. Going into day 5 feeling Bedridden and feeling again as if I were to die.

I don't understand it. It was all going so much better this time around... Talked to Onc on the phone and they are suspecting that I can't metabolize the Oxi the way I should and my imunsystem is breaking down.

If this is the case, then I'm done with Oxi :|
And will keep up on Xeloda only. I'm IIIb so...
So scared and frustrated right now.
These days seem to never end...

Trying to keep strong,
Ana

turtle

Postby turtle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Ana, the oxaliplatin does only a small part of the chemotherapy work. Most of the chemotherapy benefit comes from 5-fluorouracil (from Xeloda). I read somewhere that oxaliplatin improves survival by something like only 3%.
Feb. 2015 at age 39: Dx stage IIIb cecal cancer extending into appendix
March 2015 at age 40: Began FOLFOX, discontinuing early after 10 cycles due to suicidal ideation and difficulty moving
Oct. 2016 at age 41: Dx stage IV with 3 metastases to lungs (one 3.7 cm x 2.2 cm) and 1 to liver
KRAS-mutation positive

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:44 pm

turtle wrote:Ana, the oxaliplatin does only a small part of the chemotherapy work. Most of the chemotherapy benefit comes from 5-fluorouracil (from Xeloda). I read somewhere that oxaliplatin improves survival by something like only 3%.

That's really good to know after I read about the potential side effects of the drug. So 3% benefit but heavy side-effects on 2-3% of the population. I guess that it's a good to have but not absolutely necessary.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

JudiB

Postby JudiB » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:32 am

Ana. So sorry to read that you are having a bad time and hope that it passes quickly. Oxi is horrid and can bite us in rhe bum when we think we're coping! Maybe the onc will decide that you've had enough... I felt that every extra oxi under my belt gave me a better chance to beat this thing but I hated it at the same time.
Approaching my final treatment, without the oxi, life is easier...still lots of stuff going on but nothing like with the oxi.
Hope you're feeling better today ... you'll get through this. You've already got through a great deal so be proud if yourself! Hoping you can enjoy some time with your daughter to give yoy a morale boost
Love and hugs xxx
May 2004 Breast cancer lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy, Tamoxifen 5 years, then Femara 2 years.

Jan 2017 resection around colo-rectal junction
T2bN1 M0
March 2017 Chemo Folfox started. Oxaliplatin for 4 treatments, then just 5 FU and Leucovorin for remaining 8 treatments.
June 2017 clear scan
Last chemo August 2017
August 2017 clear scan
February 2018 clear scan

benben

Postby benben » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:02 am

NHMike wrote:
turtle wrote:Ana, the oxaliplatin does only a small part of the chemotherapy work. Most of the chemotherapy benefit comes from 5-fluorouracil (from Xeloda). I read somewhere that oxaliplatin improves survival by something like only 3%.

That's really good to know after I read about the potential side effects of the drug. So 3% benefit but heavy side-effects on 2-3% of the population. I guess that it's a good to have but not absolutely necessary.

I wouldn't take this number with certainty.
The numbers I've seen seem to indicate efficacy increased of the 5fu by 10-15% with oxali.
There are numerous studies out there. Hard to say which is most accurate. Some do indicate less efficacy.
When I was in discussions prior to treatment with ONC the 10-15% increase in reduced recurrence were also what he stated.
Something like 15% reduction of recurrence with 5FU alone, but 25% reduction in recurrence with Folfox.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

benben

Postby benben » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 am

Ana,

Hang in there girl, you are making progress.
Fatigue, and increased fatigue is to be expected.
Some get it more than others. The advice I got from the long timers here was to rest when you feel you need to rest.
And that I think is very solid advice. I tried to battle through the fatigue a couple times and it really makes it worse and prolongs it.
So don't try to fight the fatigue. Get sleep, stay hydrated, eat while you can during those post disconnect days.
Usually steroids are given during infusion and they start to wear off around day 3. So then the fatigue and nausea set in for a few days as our body breaks down and expels the chemo. Discuss all this with your Onc. Its a very tough road. Unfortunately we can't expect to feel completely "normal" during treatment.

much love,
benben
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

[Ana & Alex]

Postby [Ana & Alex] » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:24 am

Dear benben,
Dear all,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for your support. I ended up coming to the hospital and staying the night. I was very unsettled and could not sleep without medication. I don't now if I will be home today or tomorrow, but i know this was the best decision for me.

I really needed a time off and I needed rest from the pressure that I exert on myself everyday trying to keep up with life and trying to "forget" that I had cancer and still going through treatment.

It has became clear for me that what I'm feeling at the moment goes way besides the side effects of the chemotherapy. I am so tired of everything. I have been a mother, a wife, a student and an emotional support for my family since this all started - and seven very intensive months later I'm starting to loose my strengh.

Everything that has to do with this disease I've been managing on my own since the beginning. Medication, decisions, information, side effects management, talking to doctors, going to appointments... mostly alone.

Butt burn? That's ok, we're still going to the park.
Nausea? That's ok, I'm still cooking dinner for the family tonight.
Fatigue? But surely I still can play with my daughter through the afternoon and rest at night time...
Chemo brain? Still published two articles during this last few months about mouth sores and oncological patients...

I'm tired.

And that's o-k.
Everyone is so proud of me, always boosting me up to stay strong and keep on fighting - but this is not always helpful. I am to be allowed to be weak as well sometimes, without feeling that I'm not worthy of the title of a cancer fighting champion.

Cancer is a marathon they say, not a sprint. After speaking to my Onc I'm doing oxaliplatin one more time and then I'm doing Xeloda only, will look at some supplements that can boost the benefit for chemo in my case. I just cannot go through four cycles feeling like I'm dying anymore. I'm at the end of my wits. He told me with 4 cycles we could be assured that 99% from oxaliplatin effect would be attained on a adjuvant setting.

If I have a recurrence I will deal it with when the time comes. Maybe with surgery, maybe with oxaliplatin, maybe.. Maybe.. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to deal with it at all.

But now I need to take a pause.
One more Oxi and I'm done.

Thank you so much.. so much.. so much for your support. You have been my main support when it comes to talking about this matters and regaining strength through these difficult days.

God bless you all,
Love,

Ana

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:01 am

[Ana & Alex] wrote:Dear benben,
Dear all,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for your support. I ended up coming to the hospital and staying the night. I was very unsettled and could not sleep without medication. I don't now if I will be home today or tomorrow, but i know this was the best decision for me.

I really needed a time off and I needed rest from the pressure that I exert on myself everyday trying to keep up with life and trying to "forget" that I had cancer and still going through treatment.

It has became clear for me that what I'm feeling at the moment goes way besides the side effects of the chemotherapy. I am so tired of everything. I have been a mother, a wife, a student and an emotional support for my family since this all started - and seven very intensive months later I'm starting to loose my strengh.

Everything that has to do with this disease I've been managing on my own since the beginning. Medication, decisions, information, side effects management, talking to doctors, going to appointments... mostly alone.

Butt burn? That's ok, we're still going to the park.
Nausea? That's ok, I'm still cooking dinner for the family tonight.
Fatigue? But surely I still can play with my daughter through the afternoon and rest at night time...
Chemo brain? Still published two articles during this last few months about mouth sores and oncological patients...

I'm tired.

And that's o-k.
Everyone is so proud of me, always boosting me up to stay strong and keep on fighting - but this is not always helpful. I am to be allowed to be weak as well sometimes, without feeling that I'm not worthy of the title of a cancer fighting champion.

Cancer is a marathon they say, not a sprint. After speaking to my Onc I'm doing oxaliplatin one more time and then I'm doing Xeloda only, will look at some supplements that can boost the benefit for chemo in my case. I just cannot go through four cycles feeling like I'm dying anymore. I'm at the end of my wits. He told me with 4 cycles we could be assured that 99% from oxaliplatin effect would be attained on a adjuvant setting.

If I have a recurrence I will deal it with when the time comes. Maybe with surgery, maybe with oxaliplatin, maybe.. Maybe.. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to deal with it at all.

But now I need to take a pause.
One more Oxi and I'm done.

Thank you so much.. so much.. so much for your support. You have been my main support when it comes to talking about this matters and regaining strength through these difficult days.

God bless you all,
Love,

Ana

Hello Ana,

Raising kids has always been tough and I'd say that the current times we're living in are a tough time to do so. Being married is often a lot of work as well. So I think that all of us with families understand your situation. And it's pretty hard stuff even without dealing with cancer. It may be hard for some of us to take time off, relax, let others step up because of the way we were raised or because we feel that we need to make sure that everything gets done and that's how I've lived for a long time. I have many friends on other forums, though, that ask me why I work so hard? Why not take time off to relax and enjoy life. I don't have a good answer for them and I believe that they are right. On one forum, it seems like everyone is taking off on vacations last week and this week and they're posting pictures right now.

My coworker with cancer suggested that I take time off on short-term disability. I have sick-time and lots of vacation time available to me and may do so.

So I think that you (and other folks here) need to sometimes take a little time or get a little help that others may offer, just to maintain sanity. And feel free to let it out because everyone here knows how tough it is to manage life and cancer treatment.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”