Rising CEA Level

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
momorom

Rising CEA Level

Postby momorom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:50 pm

I'm new to this blog-just posting out of worry for my mother. She had colon cancer last fall in October and her CEA was at 9, then dropped to eight after surgery then has slowly gone up to 9, 10, 11, and now 12. She is getting a CT scan in two days. I'm terrified because she had breast cancer in 2013 and then colon cancer and now this rising CEA level seems to predict that she has cancer again. Should I be worried about the cancer having spread and become metastatic? And if it is does this mean she is doomed? I only just finished my freshman year of college; I have Multiple Sclerosis myself and in general haven't ever been scared of anything. When she had breast cancer I felt okay, and colon cancer the same but now I find myself crying everyday fearing the worst. I can't imagine life without my mom, she is my best friend. I don't understand a lot when it comes to this, and I feel so lost and helpless for her right now. I would love any advice on this topic and experience in colon cancer.

TXLiz

Re: Rising CEA Level

Postby TXLiz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Dear momorom, I am so sorry that you and your Mom are going through this.

My oldest daughter was a junior in college when I was diagnosed; we live in different states because she was enrolled in a nursing program when her dad retired from the military. We moved and she stayed at college. When I was diagnosed my husband had to tell her over the phone.
She had a hard time with it.

I am sorry you are facing losing your Mom. I know you are terrified and frantic as this horrible disease is hurting your Mom and family. Cancer is a family disease; the whole family suffers.

I don't think your Mom is doomed. I am new here and don't have the knowledge and experience many here have, but there are lots of ways to fight this disease. My chemo nurses told me it is hard to be a chemo nurse now because new drugs and treatments are being found all the time...every time they turn around they have to learn how to administer a new drug or regimen of drugs.

Immunotherapy is a brand new treatment that uses the bodies own immune system to fight cancer. Many people have good results with it.

CEA can be a predictor of progressive disease in some people, and some people, it's not. It could be rising for other reasons, also. I know smarter people will show up here and be able to speak more knowledgeably than I can.

My favorite saying is tomorrow is not promised to any of us.

Yes, cancer is awful and definitely can mess up your life, but it can be treated and fought. It's not a death sentence. There are lots of people here who fought it and won. Or are fighting it and winning. Your brave Mom fought it before and won! She's capable of doing so again.

Although it's extremely hard, and even though your Mom is facing this disease and you have every right to be terrified- try to enjoy time with her and create good moments. You are together now and that's the best it can be. She's with you, you are with her, and you have each other. Save the sadness, as much as possible, for another day.

I would give a lot to see my daughter and be with her, and I have only seen her once since this all went down. If you can see her and be with her then make the most of it.

Again I am so sorry. Please take care of yourself and give your Mom a huge hug everytime you see her! She is so lucky to have such a loving and kind daughter.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

momorom

Postby momorom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 pm

TXLiz,
Thank you for your kind words-they put a smile on my face after another hard day. I know as a very pragmatic and strong family we will make it through whatever the case is, and I appreciate the support even if from a total stranger online! It is in a community where this disease and hardship is known I know that I will always find support and understanding! Thank you again, it means the world.

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:46 am

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this added anxiety. I'm hoping and praying that the cause of the increased CEA is nothing sinister. I know that it has had me worried on many occasions. Best wishes for your mom's scan xx
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”