MRI and internal staples

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpbser

MRI and internal staples

Postby mpbser » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Hubby has "40-80" metal staples in his abdomen which, although are mostly titanium, could contain a small percentage of nickel. I had read that MRIs of patients with internal staples should not be done until at least 6 weeks post-surgery. Since husband is diabetic and healing slower than the average patient, I would think that 8 weeks would be the earliest. However, his oncologist dismissed my concerns.

If you have internal staples from your surgery and had an MRI post-surgery, how long after your surgery did you wait to have your MRI?
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

MissMolly

Re: MRI and internal staples

Postby MissMolly » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Surgical clips and staples are generally not an area of concern for an MRI after they have been in place for 4-6 weeks. At that time frame, healing is satisfactory that IF a clip or staple were to be dislodged due to the magnet/radio wave pull then it is generally the case that the tissue would remain patent.

I am a firm proponent that we each best know our own bodies and have an intrinsic awareness of our body's needs.

If you feel that your husband's rate of healing is slowed due to diabetes and would prefer the MRI at 8 weeks vs. 6 weeks, then go with that decision. It would give 2 additional weeks for healing of the anastomoses site.

Surgical clips, staples, total joint replacements - all are OK for an MRI.

What I have seen limiting is individuals who have been welders. The concern is that there may be microscopic metal fragments in the eye. These individuals are often screened by an opthamalogist before a scheduled MRI elsewhere of the body.

Bottom Line: Your husband's clips/staples should not pose an undue risk for an MRI at 6 weeks post surgery. If you want to be extra cautious, then waiting an additional 2 weeks (8 weeks post operative) can be your guiding answer to ease your concerns. Your husbands' oncologist should respect your decision to have the MRI sat 8 weeks.

I generally follow my intuition when I have to make a decision with multiple options and encourage you and your husband to follow your collective intuitive sense for what is best.
- K -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

mpbser

Re: MRI and internal staples

Postby mpbser » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:40 am

Thanks, MissMolly. I appreciate the input.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild